Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 01:37 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I for one have no problem understanding how our thoughts pretty well determine everything, including our destiny, and of course who and what we are as individuals gathers into something else when we consider ourselves as a collective; families, communities, organizations, countries, religions, etc.

Not sure about this last sentence of yours, but only a fool can't appreciate all that is nature versus what all impacts we humans have on our environment. It's always hard to witness so many people, too many people, "writing off" our actions as if we're not responsible. Not accountable. As if we could care less what we leave for our children and their children.

Great book that provides some great insight about this sort of thing is "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Survive" by Jared Diamond.
Virtue signaling about how WE are ruining the environment, etc. is nonsense. Those who actually can do something about it are not interested and have other motives. The rest of us have no ability to do anything about it whatsoever.

Old 04-30-2022, 01:42 PM

22,162 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Virtue signaling about how WE are ruining the environment, etc. is nonsense. Those who actually can do something about it are not interested and have other motives. The rest of us have no ability to do anything about it whatsoever.
what humans do at an individual level, and at a collective level, yes can and does impact the environment. we can cause damage to the environment. and we can improve the environment.

it baffles me to to hear the view in post above say otherwise. and totally deny taking any responsibility for how our actions yes can and do impact and affect the environment. it speaks to an utter disregard for accountability.

Old 04-30-2022, 04:08 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
we are in the religion and spirituality forum and discussing religion and spirituality.
not politics. not current events. not government and political controversies. and not science.
Tzaphkiel, you may not think so but I am in agreement with you on this - up to a point. My OP was a question about two things that many seem to feel have no bearing upon one another - the phenomenon of climate change and the impact it has (if any) on one's spiritual beliefs. I believe that one's spiritual outlook cannot help but impact the way we feel and the way we respond to the events of the times we may happen to be living in.

As far as I am aware, nobody here is a cloistered Buddhist monk or a Catholic nun who has retreated from the everyday world in order to pray for us all. We go out and live our lives and vote in elections or study a subject that fascinates us or watch in horror on our TV's as we see the latest reporting on the war in Ukraine or get together in a bar with a few friends and make fun of the people who are on the opposite side of this foolish cultural war Americans have decided to subject themselves to. In none of these instances do we shed our spirituality at the door and leave it behind until some more convenient time.

I want to respond to the rest of your post, but I also want to go down and pick out flats of flowers for my garden to load into my jeep before it gets dark. So, I'll have to wait until later to finish my reply to you.

Old 04-30-2022, 04:46 PM

22,162 posts, read 19,213,038 times
CR i appreciate your posts and look forward to your further response and more posts.

what comes to mind is someone saying they want to be healthy
but when it is pointed out to start with giving up cigarettes, booze, and recreational drugs
their reply is those are part of their life and they can't see giving them up

here is a question for you, a litmus test of sorts. let's say you want peace of mind. are you willing to limit your media intake to 10 minutes a day, print media only. take note of your response, your opinions, your thoughts, the emotional tenor of reaction to such a question, and most important identify the specific resistance to such a suggestion.

the phrase "racing thoughts" comes to mind reading your posts. racing thoughts are an impediment to peace of mind. in your chosen path of religion and spirituality, what is your current practice to quiet the mind and still the thoughts. that is a basic and effective tool for not spinning into the drama of racing thoughts.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-30-2022 at 05:04 PM..

Old 04-30-2022, 05:03 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
If God is going to end the world I am going to have to assume that he would have some mechanism by doing so. Global warming works perfectly because it could be his "plan" but it would still be our fault.

Old 04-30-2022, 06:18 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
what humans do at an individual level, and at a collective level, yes can and does impact the environment. we can cause damage to the environment. and we can improve the environment.

it baffles me to to hear the view in post above say otherwise. and totally deny taking any responsibility for how our actions yes can and do impact and affect the environment. it speaks to an utter disregard for accountability.
What he means is that we all don't play by the same rules. People's self interests out weigh the good of the group more often than not. One look at the news demonstrates that. "Marginalized" people, and the rest of us, are a great example of not caring about anybody but themselves.

Old 04-30-2022, 08:40 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
If God is going to end the world I am going to have to assume that he would have some mechanism by doing so. Global warming works perfectly because it could be his "plan" but it would still be our fault.

Oh, for Pete's sake. If god wanted to rid of humanity, he already has tested flood technology. unless he really enjoys slow killings us, mere bugs. for several hundred years.

Seriously...

Besides, why even bother with flood. A comet slightly nudged off its normal course...

Old 04-30-2022, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
It would seem to me that you are discussing sociology - not spirituality - although it might be possible to stuff religion in there with your concept of "destiny." Here is the definition of "destiny" from the Oxford English Dictionary:

The power or agency by which, according to various systems of philosophy and popular belief, all events, or certain particular events, are unalterably predetermined; supernatural or divine pre-ordination; overruling or invincible necessity.

I guess I am one of those who don't understand your use of the word "destiny." Destiny is NOT the product of one's thoughts, but rather something that is "unalterably predetermined" by Devine preordination and invincible necessity.

Invincible necessity? Yikes! I don't think that my humble thoughts can get the better of anything that is invincible. So, are we talking Calvinism here? Unless you wish to explicate further, I have no intelligent reply that I might give you.

And no science is to be discussed here? I'm new to this particular forum, and I've been setting forth all kinds of things that have to do with science, yet no mod has slapped my fingers with a ruler yet.
As I mentioned to another poster in this thread, I can accept that someone does not "believe" in global warming even though such thinking is completely foreign to me and is a part of an over-all paradigm that I will never accept.

However, as a scientist I will tell you that silica data doctored by ANYONE, Bill Gates or anyone else is as relevant to the science of climatology as a bicycle is to a fish. It's simply one part of the great LIE that has been misrepresented as a truth by EXXON, BP, the Koch Brothers and all the rest of the big oil conglomerates.

It is painfully obvious that your (mis)understanding of science is based on the propaganda from the entities mentioned above and propped up by the hysteria which pours out of the mouths of everyone on the extreme Right from Limbaugh (may his soul burn in peace) to Hannity.

It is pointless to argue science with a true believer.

No. I am not discussing sociology. I am pointing out some basic dogma of esoterics.

I could flood you with WELL documented presentations about how your climate change is a hoax, but it is not a Science forum to discuss.

Between that, you post is perfectly wrong, because it is based on wrong assumption in the very first sentence.

Old 04-30-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I for one have no problem understanding how our thoughts pretty well determine everything, including our destiny, and of course who and what we are as individuals gathers into something else when we consider ourselves as a collective; families, communities, organizations, countries, religions, etc.

Not sure about this last sentence of yours, but only a fool can't appreciate all that is nature versus what all impacts we humans have on our environment. It's always hard to witness so many people, too many people, "writing off" our actions as if we're not responsible. Not accountable. As if we could care less what we leave for our children and their children.

Great book that provides some great insight about this sort of thing is "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Survive" by Jared Diamond.

I am not sure, what is not understood in "the last sentence". And, I am pretty sure, that I was not understood, as expected, when I said that thoughts influence reality/nature. See, everything physical that we know, is made off physical matter. Physical matter is made off the four primordial elements and their derivatives, elementals. Elements, in their turn, come from the primordial Substance, under influence of primordial Consciousness. Starting with the element of fire.

As thought is derivative of Consciousness, it preserves its power over elements. Combined thought forms have that power proportionately increasing, the stronger the thought-form is. At certain "concentration", so to speak, it may result in a "natural disaster", for example. An earthquake, leveling a city or a country. An asteroid, destroying a continent. A plague. A meteor shower, destroying a city. history is full of such stories. Religious books love them, to show "power of god".

I'd try this. Last years of the Great Rome were years of decadence in its worst varieties. What happened next? yes, barbarians came. Or, say, Herculaneum and Pompeii. Both were, pretty much, summer brothels for Roman nobles. You know the rest. Or, Sodom and Gomorrah. Which, it appears, they actually found Sodom.

Old 04-30-2022, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by MysticPhD

Matthew 8:26
"You of little faith," Jesus replied, "why are you so afraid?" Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and it was perfectly calm.

And Jesus said to them, Because of your unbelief: for truly I say to you, If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you shall say to this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality