Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2022, 02:22 PM

15,811 posts, read 6,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Yes and thanks for providing the context. If modeling is not provided, then the idea is almost always meant to benefit the one spreading the idea.
I like that. It's a good litmus test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 02:29 PM

7,585 posts, read 4,149,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Ironically, this is about same with me. Including my son, who was bathed in the Spirit and after that, god talks to him.

People are scared of anything new. Anything, that shakes their established picture of the world. If they found something and, usually, that is something that many in numbers adhere to, that becomes their safe harbor and comfort zone, they fear to get out of. Add to this general results of educational system that, basically teaches lies and by no means encourages freedom and independence of thought. Social pressure to stay in line with social norms.
Good, we are not burning "heretics" at stake anymore....
It is a good thing heretics are not burned anymore. New things don't frighten me because curiosity is part of my constitution as well as creating things for myself, even if that means reinventing the wheel, which happened in some cases, but in others, the structures have been tailored just for myself. Anything new that comes my way gets processed the same way. It sounds very robotic, but it fits my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Why did you decide that, self defense is karmaic action? Even in the bible it says, do not murder, but does not say, do not kill. If you have to, you have to. It is said that, even if Buddha kills someone, that will be no consequence to his Destiny as, anything Buddha does, is non-karmaic.
I don't think self-defense is karmaic action. I support self-defense.

Old 05-13-2022, 03:02 PM

50,668 posts, read 24,196,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Forgiveness is something we do for ourselves. it is not predicated upon what anyone else does or says, it is not dependent upon anyone else's actions, attitudes, behavior, or words. it has nothing to do with the other person.
Oh, silly me thinking about how best to do unto others.

Old 05-13-2022, 03:05 PM

15,903 posts, read 6,985,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I surely wish empathy was our inherent nature, because many times it seems that it's lack of empathy that is causing so many of our problems these days. Lack of empathy that keeps us from making the progress we should in so many ways as a people, society, country, world.
Anger and resentment are delusions that veil empathy that is inherent. nothing can be done about what others do or don’t do, we each live our own life and one can choose how to live it.

Old 05-13-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
How is forgiving do unto others? so they will forgive you in return? forgiveness is not barter.

Old 05-13-2022, 03:08 PM

22,097 posts, read 19,169,372 times
Quote:
the post below is saying they don't forgive.
how is "not forgiving" fulfillment of "do unto others" ?

Quote:
I think there are things -- rare though they may be -- that are unforgivable...particularly if the offender shows no regret.

Old 05-13-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
How is forgiving do unto others? so they will forgive you in return? forgiveness is not barter.
There are people who request forgiveness.

Old 05-13-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. Yes, I can see these concepts being applied in a structured environment where there is some level of safety for everyone involved and accountability for the people working in the system.
yes. but it does require stepping outside of the box of crime and punishment. that is a huge step for most of us and it requires trust, empathy, all our goodness.

Old 05-13-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the post below is saying they don't forgive.
how is "not forgiving" fulfillment of "do unto others" ?
It's not clear to me what you are asking

Old 05-13-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
There are people who request forgiveness.
yes. what is the problem? the forgiving is still an action for oneself, regardless of how the other person feels. do you want freedom or vengeance? forgiving sets you free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality