Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 08:53 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Only if one believes that there is a spiritual aspect, that everything that exists is divinity in essence and NOT the material body that turns to earth. So Jesus’s exhortation to love your neighbor as yourself is an actual fact of faith that “loving you is an act of loving my self”. Upanishad texts say the same thing, “loving your (husband, your son, your possessions, everything) is not for the sake of those things that are not yoy, but for the sake of the joy that exist which is your atma.” It is a bit convoluted but meaning is clear. Love is not for the object that dies, but it is the love that is always within you.
I had a lovely experience last night when we were out for dinner at a restaurant, which was full of families celebrating mother’s day. There was a 7 year old boy at our next table, precocious, and irresistible. We struck up a little conversation, him and me. As we were leaving he asked me if I enjoyed the food, i said yes, and he said he did as well. And then he said nice meeting you, and wished me. That connection was spontaneous. For me that was a spiritual connection that is true. It may not seem that way to someone else. To a large part it is what we are attuned to.
True enough it's hard for anyone to call anything a spiritual experience when one doesn't view all such experiences from a spiritual point of view, but this should not cause anyone to discount alternative points of view as somehow less meaningful. I too had a wonderful experience yesterday celebrating mother's day with my wife and our kids. Beyond words wonderful actually. That you always want to suggest your experiences along these lines are any more special or divine or "attuned" is what suggests the need for a bit more humility if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 08:59 AM

Here's another quote you have no doubt seen me post before, Phet, that I recall you didn't agree with entirely, but such as it is anyway. This describes more in the way of principle that I always strive to apply, though I will readily admit when and how some people cause me to falter along these lines...

"I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration; I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis is escalated or de-escalated, and a person is humanized or de-humanized. If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming."

Maybe sometimes I have to conclude that some people are simply not capable of becoming any better, or maybe it's just a matter of having better patience. I'm not really sure.

Old 05-09-2022, 09:00 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, but it becomes problematic when various religions try to claim it as their own, rather than seeing that it is/was a broad principle over many cultures.
I've posted this a few times, but it never hurts to review it again. I think it fits the thread in that it seems to be an almost universal principle. It is interesting to reflect on the various nuances within each version.

Old 05-09-2022, 09:03 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
great list!

Old 05-09-2022, 09:07 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
great list!
I thought so. My old priest at the last church I attended had one like this posted on the door to his office at the church. To me, it reminds us that that we'd be better served by focusing on what we have in common rather than our differences.

Old 05-09-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've posted this a few times, but it never hurts to review it again. I think it fits the thread in that it seems to be an almost universal principle. It is interesting to reflect on the various nuances within each version.
Sure fits with my comment #51. Don't you think? Thanks!

Old 05-09-2022, 09:26 AM

i think it is a principle that is present in most (all?) paths of religion and spirituality.

it is an example of "many paths, same mountain"

Old 05-09-2022, 09:35 AM

another principle that is a common element in most (all?) paths of religion and spirituality
is continuation after death of the physical body occurs, whether that is afterlife, soul, rebirth, reincarnation, spirit.
the principle that death is not the end, that we are "more than" just a physical body and our existence continues.

that too is a principle that paths of religion and spirituality have in common.

Old 05-09-2022, 09:38 AM

"The idea dates at least to the early Confucian times (551–479 BCE), according to Rushworth Kidder, who identifies the concept appearing prominently in Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Taoism, Zoroastrianism, and "the rest of the world's major religions". 143 leaders of the world's major faiths endorsed the Golden Rule as part of the 1993 "Declaration Toward a Global Ethic". According to Greg M. Epstein, it is "a concept that essentially no religion misses entirely", but belief in God is not necessary to endorse it. Simon Blackburn also states that the Golden Rule can be "found in some form in almost every ethical tradition". -- Wikipedia

So a little more than just about stealing a purse in any case, and what I was getting at with my comment #51...

Old 05-09-2022, 10:05 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
True enough it's hard for anyone to call anything a spiritual experience when one doesn't view all such experiences from a spiritual point of view, but this should not cause anyone to discount alternative points of view as somehow less meaningful. I too had a wonderful experience yesterday celebrating mother's day with my wife and our kids. Beyond words wonderful actually. That you always want to suggest your experiences along these lines are any more special or divine or "attuned" is what suggests the need for a bit more humility if you ask me.
i think it requires you not to gaslight others experience and thus the meaning that accrues to it. that you don’t have such depth of experience is a pity because it is available to everyone who is attuned to what exists. i think you feel a bit cheated so this need for gaslights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality