Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 05:36 PM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

The purpose of this thread is one thing only -- for religionists, including me (a Buddhist) to bring up some principle found in the teachings and to discuss their validity. The thread is NOT about proving anything in your scriptures as being true or false. It is only to discuss various principles

I'll get us started.

Principle:

1. Dukkha: Suffering exists: Life is suffering. Suffering is almost universal (although that doesn't mean that one suffers all the time). Suffering can be caused by loss, sickness, pain, failure, and the impermanence of pleasure.

2. Samudaya: There is a cause of suffering -- attachment to things one likes/loves, all of which will eventually change or end, thus causing craving for various pleasures or lack of suffering.

3. Nirodha: These attachments can be overcome, although some only with Nibbana.

4. Magga: There is a path to accomplish this -- the Eightfold Path.

This principle is about Buddhism. A principle you might post may be christian or Hindu, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 06:47 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional

---Dalai Lama, the most famous Buddhist teacher in the world

Old 05-05-2022, 06:56 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The purpose of this thread is one thing only -- for religionists, including me (a Buddhist) to bring up some principle found in the teachings and to discuss their validity. The thread is NOT about proving anything in your scriptures as being true or false. It is only to discuss various principles

I'll get us started.

Principle:

1. Dukkha: Suffering exists: Life is suffering. Suffering is almost universal (although that doesn't mean that one suffers all the time). Suffering can be caused by loss, sickness, pain, failure, and the impermanence of pleasure.

2. Samudaya: There is a cause of suffering -- attachment to things one likes/loves, all of which will eventually change or end, thus causing craving for various pleasures or lack of suffering.

3. Nirodha: These attachments can be overcome, although some only with Nibbana.

4. Magga: There is a path to accomplish this -- the Eightfold Path.

This principle is about Buddhism. A principle you might post may be christian or Hindu, etc.
So validate them the 4.

Old 05-05-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional

---Dalai Lama, the most famous Buddhist teacher in the world
Well, I think he is right in the beginning, and often right about suffering being optional. But the latter is where the hard work comes into it. I don't that all suffering can be totally avoided...certainly not some of the suffering of failing health.

Old 05-05-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
So validate them the 4.
I think there is a great deal of suffering during life. Some of it health related. Relationship related. Success/failure related. And yes, it's often because we become attached to the status quo. And the suddenly the status quo isn't. Personally, I'm unconvinced re nibanna. Maybe there is such a thing. I know that I once asked a group of 4 Buddhist monks if they expected to reach nibanna in their current life and they all said not even close. But even if nibanna does not exist, it doesn't mean that we can't use some Buddhist principles -- and principles and teachings from other religions -- to lessen suffering. Eliminating it...not so sure...maybe some. Certainly the Eightfold Path (right view, right resolve, right speech, right conduct, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right samadhi) can help in that regard.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I think there is a great deal of suffering during life. Some of it health related. Relationship related. Success/failure related. And yes, it's often because we become attached to the status quo. And the suddenly the status quo isn't. Personally, I'm unconvinced re nibanna. Maybe there is such a thing. I know that I once asked a group of 4 Buddhist monks if they expected to reach nibanna in their current life and they all said not even close. But even if nibanna does not exist, it doesn't mean that we can't use some Buddhist principles -- and principles and teachings from other religions -- to lessen suffering. Eliminating it...not so sure...maybe some. Certainly the Eightfold Path (right view, right resolve, right speech, right conduct, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right samadhi) can help in that regard.
there is a difference between pain and suffering. they are not the same.
paths and teachings which differentiate between pain and suffering, in my view, offer greater depth and insight.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
there is a difference between pain and suffering. they are not the same.
paths and teachings which differentiate between pain and suffering, in my view, offer greater depth and insight.
Perhaps. I think one could say that suffering is emotional pain. But your definition works for you.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Perhaps. I think one could say that suffering is emotional pain. But your definition works for you.
i haven't given a definition. of either pain or suffering.
i said that pain and suffering are not the same thing.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
i haven't given a definition. of either pain or suffering.
i said that pain and suffering are not the same thing.
You must have definitions of your own of those two words. But, no problem.

Old 05-06-2022, 05:16 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Validate the 8 fold path. What is right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality