Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 10:09 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the holy and the sacred and religion
are not limited to nor are they defined by "a god."

this is the religion and spirituality forum, where Buddhism is recognized and acknowledged and discussed as a religion.
I am rather sure that this forum is about recognizing reality in regard to religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 10:12 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I am rather sure that this forum is about recognizing reality in regard to religion.
the reality is, Buddhism is based on holy principles.

Old 05-11-2022, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the reality is, Buddhism is based on holy principles.
https://www.lionsroar.com/who-was-the-buddha/

Old 05-12-2022, 04:32 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
1. Buddha was a man. Not a god. Just a man.
2. Since you are all knowledgeable about Buddhism...,,,surely you are aware that one of the debates within Buddhism is whether it is a religion or a philosophy.
only to the western mind which is bound up with Christianity. in Eastern thought , they are the same. and no conflict with science.
Buddha is an avatar, one who takes you across the river of trouble.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
only to the western mind which is bound up with Christianity. in Eastern thought , they are the same. and no conflict with science.
Buddha is an avatar, one who takes you across the river of trouble.
Did I mention a conflict with science?

And no, "in Eastern thought" they are not the same. Some Buddhists conduct rote religious ceremonies, others discuss concepts.

In Hinduism Buddha may be considered an avatar. We Buddhists are not subservient to Hinduism. In Theravada Buddhism he is not an avatar. In Buddhism, Buddha is pretty much credited with being the only founder of a major world religion who did not claim to be other than an ordinary human being.

Old 05-12-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Did I mention a conflict with science?

And no, "in Eastern thought" they are not the same. Some Buddhists conduct rote religious ceremonies, others discuss concepts.

In Hinduism Buddha may be considered an avatar. We Buddhists are not subservient to Hinduism. In Theravada Buddhism he is not an avatar. In Buddhism, Buddha is pretty much credited with being the only founder of a major world religion who did not claim to be other than an ordinary human being.
You did not but i added science for good measure, because there is no conflict.
Some Buddhists do both - conduct religious ceremonies, worship, offer flowers and incense to an idol or picture of Buddha that they invest with his spirit and their reverence. Buddha himself taught them there will be another spiritual leader to guide them. Some Buddhists await this avatar. They also can conduct philosophical discourses about anatma and rebirth. Philosophy and religion are closely related in Eastern thought, unlike the Weat where Philosophy lost it place. No conflict in Buddhism. Buddha himself was a philosopher, great thinker, a Buddha.
Yes some Hindus consider him an avatar.
Buddha did not consider himself anything, not even a teacher. He only asserted Dukkha exists, it is a product of unfulfilled desires, and showed the path to relief from Dukkha. He tread that path himself.
Buddhists take his instructions seriously.
I have seen you posts where you mocked some monks at their sincere attempts at non-violence. No i will not waste my time looking for it, you can dig it up yourself.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
You did not but i added science for good measure, because there is no conflict.
Some Buddhists do both - conduct religious ceremonies, worship, offer flowers and incense to an idol or picture of Buddha that they invest with his spirit and their reverence. Buddha himself taught them there will be another spiritual leader to guide them. Some Buddhists await this avatar. They also can conduct philosophical discourses about anatma and rebirth. Philosophy and religion are closely related in Eastern thought, unlike the Weat where Philosophy lost it place. No conflict in Buddhism. Buddha himself was a philosopher, great thinker, a Buddha.
Yes some Hindus consider him an avatar.
Buddha did not consider himself anything, not even a teacher. He only asserted Dukkha exists, it is a product of unfulfilled desires, and showed the path to relief from Dukkha. He tread that path himself.
Buddhists take his instructions seriously.
I have seen you posts where you mocked some monks at their sincere attempts at non-violence. No i will not waste my time looking for it, you can dig it up yourself.
I don't agree with your use of the word avatar, but I won't argue the point.

A future Buddha. This is to me a very suspect concept. Depending on the branch of Buddhism, there have been anywhere from 12-28 previous Buddhas. First problem -- show me even one piece of actual evidence for these previous Buddhas. There is no physical evidence whatsoever. Second problem, when you look at the time line for each of these Buddhas -- basically a period of time when the religion/philosophy was active until it TOTALLY disappeared -- for each of these Buddhas -- that would mean that some Buddha must have been Australopithecus or even before that. It just doesn't add up...as do many religious fables.

Have I mocked monks. Well, a couple of you ________ use the word 'mock' awfully easily. And here's an example. Yes, I have been critical of monks who, when digging a garden will carefully pick up every worm and move the worm to a new location. And then, those same monks, will -- at their morning and noon meal -- eat chicken, pork, beef, and seafood. And their justification is that the latter doesn't count because they didn't personally kill the animal or didn't personally cook the meat. Instead, a butcher killed the animal...and in Thailand that means that most butchers are Muslim. I don't think it's morally consistent to say you can't kill a sentient animals for food, but it's okay to eat the food after someone else has done the dirty work. Or then there was the Thai friend who didn't want us to kill a bee, but didn't mind putting down rat poison out in the yard. All these little games to try to justify inconsistent behavior. Is that mocking? No, it's critiquing behavior. But if we want to add to this, you are damn right that I am highly critical of what Buddhist monks are doing to Rohingya people in Burma.

And by the way -- these constant critiques of my posts by you...is that mocking me? Pot meet kettle.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I don't agree with your use of the word avatar, but I won't argue the point.

A future Buddha. This is to me a very suspect concept. Depending on the branch of Buddhism, there have been anywhere from 12-28 previous Buddhas. First problem -- show me even one piece of actual evidence for these previous Buddhas. There is no physical evidence whatsoever. Second problem, when you look at the time line for each of these Buddhas -- basically a period of time when the religion/philosophy was active until it TOTALLY disappeared -- for each of these Buddhas -- that would mean that some Buddha must have been Australopithecus or even before that. It just doesn't add up...as do many religious fables.

Have I mocked monks. Well, a couple of you ________ use the word 'mock' awfully easily. And here's an example. Yes, I have been critical of monks who, when digging a garden will carefully pick up every worm and move the worm to a new location. And then, those same monks, will -- at their morning and noon meal -- eat chicken, pork, beef, and seafood. And their justification is that the latter doesn't count because they didn't personally kill the animal or didn't personally cook the meat. Instead, a butcher killed the animal...and in Thailand that means that most butchers are Muslim. I don't think it's morally consistent to say you can't kill a sentient animals for food, but it's okay to eat the food after someone else has done the dirty work. Or then there was the Thai friend who didn't want us to kill a bee, but didn't mind putting down rat poison out in the yard. All these little games to try to justify inconsistent behavior. Is that mocking? No, it's critiquing behavior. But if we want to add to this, you are damn right that I am highly critical of what Buddhist monks are doing to Rohingya people in Burma.

And by the way -- these constant critiques of my posts by you...is that mocking me? Pot meet kettle.
Yes it is mocking. Ypur attempt to adopt Buddhism so it fits with your needs is the same thing that the monks are dong. They are trying to cause as little violence as possible in their own ways. Better to be critical of your own actions and thoughts before jumping on others. That should keep you plenty busy.

I am pointing out how disrespectful you are about a religion that you claim to have adopted. I am displaying shock and aversion, if that makes it any clearer.

Old 05-12-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Yes it is mocking. Ypur attempt to adopt Buddhism so it fits with your needs is the same thing that the monks are dong. They are trying to cause as little violence as possible in their own ways. Better to be critical of your own actions and thoughts before jumping on others. That should keep you plenty busy.

I am pointing out how disrespectful you are about a religion that you claim to have adopted. I am displaying shock and aversion, if that makes it any clearer.
When I consider the tone of your posts over a long period time, your critique of my views matters next to nothing.

Old 05-12-2022, 01:56 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Sitting in my chair with a bad back right now is " painful"

Reading the never ending bickering and gotcha comments will contribute to "suffering" ( if I let it )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality