Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 02:09 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Something is not adding up...Im not sure religion is truly trending downward...it doesnt appear to be true imo.
When irreligion is pushed on the masses, it's reasonable to expect pushback from the religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 02:58 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I doubt there is any significant difference in "drop" among Southern Baptist compared to other denominations. They just happen to be one of the main groups that people like to complain about, though some of it is warranted.
Didn't read the article, did you?

Old 05-13-2022, 03:01 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
For once jimmiej is not making an extraordinary claim and just sharing his personal experience. I can take that at face value. I certainly knew back in my day of individual churches that were growing and thriving, even in the fundagelical world, and not all of those were of the megachurch persuasion with some charismatic grifter at the helm. I don't think he's denying that the SBC is losing members faster than it's gaining them but that doesn't mean individual churches can't thrive within it.
800 to 6,500
Seems unrealistic.

Old 05-13-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not to mention the guy from Canada is the one who brought it up.
Quote:
Good catch! Maybe we need to start bad-mouthing those hosers to the north, eh? LOL
Us "hosers" have walked much further away from imaginary entities that control everything, except in the area where I live, and the religious zealots here would make someone from Mississippi appear down right heathen. Yeah, I am right in the buckle of our bible belt.

The sooner the world moves away from religion controlling people, the better off we are. Want proof? Look at the countries with the lowest religion participation (that are democracies) and then correlate them with the happiness index and any crime index you may want to choose.

Old 05-13-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Well yeah, they need every bit of news and tidbits for their cheerleading efforts. It doesn't matter who says it or whether there's a shred of truth present. As long as it has the damning sentiment, they've got to celebrate it. It's the same thing - just as in the opposite direction - of the highly religious who would support their church, no matter what. Tune out anything that doesn't lead to their bobbing of heads and "yes" agreements. Extremism, regardless of the outer clothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Solid observation.
I'm sorry, you may want to obfuscate and deny, but the facts come from... wait for it.. the Southern Baptists themselves.

Old 05-13-2022, 04:03 PM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I'm sorry, you may want to obfuscate and deny, but the facts come from... wait for it.. the Southern Baptists themselves.
Good for them. I really don't ... wait for it... give a d@mn I'm thankful to be neither with the atheist rock throwers, nor the church defenders. Solidly outside of both circuses.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 05-13-2022 at 04:33 PM..

Old 05-13-2022, 04:28 PM

19,993 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
800 to 6,500
Seems unrealistic.
It's an eight fold increase over 25-30 years. Not unheard of. There are churches ranging up to about 30,000 members and when it comes at least to the unaffiliated / non-denominational (about 40% of megachurches), "replication" or "reproduction" or "church planting" is also a value.

Although those bigger churches often have multiple "campuses".

Of course the story is rather different in your average corner church in rural 'Murica. Rural and urban evangelicals are very different beasts. The former tend to be much more stereotypically insular and to achieve the kind of growth in urban areas that the megachurches have, they must be a lot more clued into pop culture and more "street" if you will, more use of marketing methods and techniques normally applied to large business brands -- much more sophisticated approach.

Old 05-13-2022, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Good for them. I really don't ... wait for it... give a d@mn I'm thankful to be neither with the atheist rock throwers, nor the church defenders. Solidly outside of both circuses.
Seeing don't give a damn, why did you even bother commenting in the first place. Seems strange that you would.

Old 05-13-2022, 07:15 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
It's an eight fold increase over 25-30 years. Not unheard of. There are churches ranging up to about 30,000 members and when it comes at least to the unaffiliated / non-denominational (about 40% of megachurches), "replication" or "reproduction" or "church planting" is also a value.

Of course the story is rather different in your average corner church in rural 'Murica. Rural and urban evangelicals are very different beasts. The former tend to be much more stereotypically insular and to achieve the kind of growth in urban areas that the megachurches have, they must be a lot more clued into pop culture and more "street" if you will, more use of marketing methods and techniques normally applied to large business brands -- much more sophisticated approach.
We have only one campus. Getting ready to build a new sanctuary (COVID delayed that). And we’re debt-free.

Old 05-13-2022, 10:09 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:

It could be true. It seems unrealistic to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality