Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 08:21 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times

Advertisements

https://religionnews.com/2022/05/22/...t-johnny-hunt/

Same script, different stage.

The SBC knowingly and willingly cover up sexual abuse in their ranks. I wonder how many on this forum will attempt to minimize their culpability on this issue?

SBC lawyers worked for years to protect the institution and demonized abuse survivors. The report also details graphic allegations of sexual assault by former SBC president and longtime megachurch pastor Johnny Hunt. No different than the Catholic bishops, cardinals and popes covering up similar issues there.

What is it about religions that do this? It's "do what I say, not do what I do" isn't it. And they wonder why people walk away from churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 08:26 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
It's in a lot of them. The sect I grew up in has a bad problem with this. It's going to be more than just the Pope screaming persecution from the devil.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:09 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
It's in a lot of them. The sect I grew up in has a bad problem with this. It's going to be more than just the Pope screaming persecution from the devil.
I am glad , so glad, that I quit the Baptist church when I was younger. Since members of my family, parents, siblings, stayed in it, I was privy to all the gossip and scandals that occurred I have written about them in detail here on other threads.

What concerned me is the lack of concern of many members....Oh well...he was having an affair with women he was counseling ...oh well. so what?

If I did that in my practice, I would lose my license and never work in the field again. Enough said.
(Then again, IF I were a dishonest person, or a sexual predator, I would just declare that Gawd told me to go into the ministry, and pick up at a church where I left off) Of course I would not do that, but unlike Baptist pastors, I have self esteem and do not need people to worship me every Sunday and I do not have a personality disorder that requires my seeking power to give my life any meaning.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:21 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://religionnews.com/2022/05/22/...t-johnny-hunt/

Same script, different stage.

The SBC knowingly and willingly cover up sexual abuse in their ranks. I wonder how many on this forum will attempt to minimize their culpability on this issue?

SBC lawyers worked for years to protect the institution and demonized abuse survivors. The report also details graphic allegations of sexual assault by former SBC president and longtime megachurch pastor Johnny Hunt. No different than the Catholic bishops, cardinals and popes covering up similar issues there.

What is it about religions that do this? It's "do what I say, not do what I do" isn't it. And they wonder why people walk away from churches.
Yes...same script, different stage.
What is it about educational systems that do this?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...jobs/95346790/

https://www.southfloridainjurylawyer...ls-negligence/

https://www.pe.com/teacher-abuse/

And sending your kids to church is not required...they have to go to school.
I'm sure you are all over Education/Teaching sites going off about this.
We should determine the entire education system to be bad and shut it down, right?

Old 05-23-2022, 09:26 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Nothing new here, and nothing that couldn't happen in any large organization, religious or otherwise.

Stay away from organizations, and the issues of others which can't be controlled. Simple as that.

We see this is part of Norm's obsession with the Southern Baptist Church, to go with the previous thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...huge-drop.html

As if any of these complaints and rock-throwing by one person against millions will be noticed!

Old 05-23-2022, 10:05 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Nothing new here, and nothing that couldn't happen in any large organization, religious or otherwise.

Stay away from organizations, and the issues of others which can't be controlled. Simple as that.

We see this is part of Norm's obsession with the Southern Baptist Church, to go with the previous thread:

As if any of these complaints and rock-throwing by one person against millions will be noticed!
It is not always possible to stay away from organizations if you wish ro participate is activities you love. Sports are one example. People interested in sports talk about sports scandals. Non sports fans usually are not even aware of the scandals of the Black Hawks or the Swift Current Broncs.

And this is the forum to raise the subject of scandals in churches. Or in atheists organizations or amongst some spiritusl group.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:21 AM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yes...same script, different stage.
What is it about educational systems that do this?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...jobs/95346790/

https://www.southfloridainjurylawyer...ls-negligence/

https://www.pe.com/teacher-abuse/

And sending your kids to church is not required...they have to go to school.
I'm sure you are all over Education/Teaching sites going off about this.
We should determine the entire education system to be bad and shut it down, right?
Several things here.

First, the reason we are talking about this wrong-doing by priests (and now Baptists) in this part of the forum is because this part of the forum is about religion. This isn't the education part of the forum. You're welcome to start a similar thread over there. And if you do, then that topic is about the educational system and teacher-student sex, and not religious authorities-underage sex. I discuss education topics over in the education forum; I discuss religious topics on the religious forum. Different context. What you're trying to do is not own up to the problem here and, instead, blur the focus and make excuses.

Second, I'm not sure how common it is in the education world. 33 years of teaching and school administration and I knew of it...no, let me reword that...I was aware of the possibility of it twice. In the first case, way back in the 1970s, I suspect that a male teacher was having sex with a male student, junior high level. And I only became aware of it then because the teacher suddenly (and I do mean this literally) disappeared, leaving his resignation on the principal's answering machine. People don't just decide to disappear for no reason. And in this case the male teacher had taken a close 'interest' in the student. The problem was that there was no actual evidence or even claims. Just a hunch that some of us had once the mysterious resignation came in. The second case was a female middle school teacher and a male 9th grader (our middle school in that system were 7,8,9). As the head of the "Faculty Advisory Council", I, as a fellow teacher, led a group of 4 teachers to the meet with the principal to discuss our concern. The principal's response was that he had extensively interviewed the teacher, extensively interviewed the student, called in the parents to inform them of the concerns. And the parents response was for the principal to cease and desist any further investigation or they would sue the principal and the school district. And the principal then asked us, "Do any of you have any actual evidence of the liaison, or is it just a suspicion?" We admitted we had not a shred of evidence.

I explain those two instances for a reason. What we are talking about with the Catholic Church has not been hearsay. Cases have gone to court with guilty verdicts. And we KNOW that there was often a coverup, a long-term 'looking the other way' by the church. We know for a fact that the church often simply moved priests around to a different parish.

I don't care if it's a priest or a minister or teacher. You does mess with kids. Period. And this has been one of those rare instances where the coverup has not been worse than the crime. And you need to stop making excuses for the behavior just because you're infatuated with religion. Wrong is wrong. Those who preach the ten commandments ought to live by the ten commandments.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:31 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
It is not always possible to stay away from organizations if you wish ro participate is activities you love. Sports are one example. People interested in sports talk about sports scandals. Non sports fans usually are not even aware of the scandals of the Black Hawks or the Swift Current Broncs.

And this is the forum to raise the subject of scandals in churches. Or in atheists organizations or amongst some spiritusl group.
True that scandals are fairly "equal opportunity" when it comes to all the many ways and places they are perpetrated. Not all involve quite the level of cover-up efforts like some of these bigger organizations are known to have committed. That's perhaps the more telling aspect of when, where and how these scandals have managed to begin, spread and then be protected by the organizational leadership.

Not sure I've heard of such scandals when it comes to atheist organizations, and what I have heard typically involved financial scandal. Financial scandals are pretty much "equal opportunity" when it comes to wherever there is money as well...

Old 05-23-2022, 10:43 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

Because they preach morality, and are morally corrupt. Plain and simple. They, and other groups like them need to be dissed frequently and loudly.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:19 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
It is not always possible to stay away from organizations if you wish ro participate is activities you love. Sports are one example.
You can keep up with the teams, and watch them on TV, without getting into their lives or the background junk. Keep it pure with just the game itself.

In the same way, it's possible (and healthy) to worship God without having any connection with any church or specific religion. Cut out all the compromise and hypocrisy that get in the way and pulls things down into the gutter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality