Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 10:28 AM

50,178 posts, read 23,817,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
When you read a post it helps to read the title of the thread. “Exploring other religions and faith.” That is the topic.
Why is this difficult for you? Expressing my opinion and presenting my argument for it is called a discussion.
If you are averse to it then I dont know where ypu will find what younare looking for.
It isn't "difficult for him"...or me. This is one of your little tricks when people disagree with you. It's just that our views -- which are just as valid as yours -- happen to be different than yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 10:36 AM

10,045 posts, read 6,315,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It isn't "difficult for him"...or me. This is one of your little tricks when people disagree with you. It's just that our views -- which are just as valid as yours -- happen to be different than yours.
Bingo - you hit that one out of the park!

Old 06-08-2022, 10:38 AM

10,045 posts, read 6,315,743 times
Quote:
When you read a post it helps to read the title of the thread. “Exploring other religions and faith.” That is the topic.
Why is this difficult for you? Expressing my opinion and presenting my argument for it is called a discussion.
If you are averse to it then I dont know where ypu will find what younare looking for.
I'm not looking for a thing. However, I know the difference between a discussion and rudeness.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:03 AM

15,807 posts, read 6,867,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I'm not looking for a thing. However, I know the difference between a discussion and rudeness.
So do I

Old 06-08-2022, 11:05 AM

29,335 posts, read 9,509,315 times
Quote:
Sacred places are, well, sacred places. It is not for the curious, it is for the devoted, those who who understand stand and value the symbolism. the people i most open to about Hinduism are those who already have studied it, and have appreciation and eagerness to know. Hinduism and other religions do not seek to convert and there is no need for promoting it.
I can't count how many "sacred places" I have been fortunate to visit, and I'd like to think I understand and respect the symbolism for what it means to the devoted. What it means to me too. Not sure I'd call it just curiosity, but there is no question I've been interested to visit and appreciate these places in a variety of ways. Many times, even though I am an atheist. Nice the door is always open in any case, or usually open. Even if my wife had to cover her bare shoulders to enter one or two.

We get it. Even if not like others do...

Old 06-08-2022, 11:06 AM

88,025 posts, read 83,846,650 times
Quote:
Understanding each other as human is a big enough leap for many, that I dont believe one need to understand each other by our religions. Religion is a garment we wear, which many feel free to cast off. Exploring others religion is recreation, satisfying one’s curiosity, of confirming one’s bias, nothing more. If one is truly interested in understanding religion, read their texts, know their language and culture and values without judgement.
Some posts here have noted how it is important to understand muslims after 9\11. Just because ignorant people judge all muslims terrorists because of the few terrorists who flew the two planes, does not mean by understanding Islam those ignorant haters will suddenly become wise. No, they will stay ignorant and hateful and will use their half-baked understanding of Islam as weapons.
One does not have to understand Islam to know Muslims, one only needs to meet them as human beings with same aspirations and hope as oneself.
The whole caricature of equating Islam as terrorism was born in deranged western minds. It is called Orientalism, the dehumanizing of whole nations of people and their culture.
Stay in your lane, like many atheists here like to say.
Re the bolded, no one said that, and I doubt anyone thinks that.

But often, in my experience, by getting to know others outside of your own world as individuals, people can change. I believe that's the best way change will occur, but I have no illusions that this will happen on a large scale overnight.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
People in other cultures are NOT "just like oneself"...in either direction.
There is only one direction. They are all people with same aspirations as you and deserving of respect and privacy. Pretty simple.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
There is no trick involved in being aware of what the topic is.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:09 AM

29,335 posts, read 9,509,315 times
Quote:
And yet one is very welcome in Thai temples and in some christian churches. And the welcoming attitude in Thai Buddhist temples never resulted in even the slightest effort to convert anyone. And I might add, while I am often critical of aspects of catholicism, many people visit just to see many catholic cathedrals both here and in Europe...and even Thailand.

On the other hand, the Hindu temples I visited in Thailand were not at all welcoming. Which is fine. I'm just pointing out that there is a difference among various religions.
Would I be way off to suggest that the majesty of most of these places is a form of evangelism and/or manner in which to convert people? There is a reason these places are so often so spectacular after all...

Old 06-08-2022, 11:10 AM

63,419 posts, read 39,666,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
To avoid any thread derail, I have refuted your evasion and ad homimem here.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/63580843-post29.html

As to the OP, that is what I like about Daoism, it is a religion that does not argue for some improbable intelligent creator, and some of it's ideas are mirrored in modern science, such as the concept of ying and yang, and the zero energy universe.
To your link: No one asserts that the observation must be done by a personal observer. It is the act of establishing its observed state from a defined conscious perspective. This is why I (and I assume Lanza) consider the universal field itself to be the consciousness field that collapses the waveform and we observe it as part of that universal consciousness. You assume too many false inferences about others' understanding of quantum theory especially that of Lanza, IMO.

About Daoism (Taoism?) Taoism as a religion should not be confused with the Taoist philosophy which antedates all known oriental philosophies. The religion, as it is practiced, is a wholesale imitation of Buddhism, with a sufficiently saleable amount of magical elements and ritual. As Gerald Berry describes it,

. . . The disciples who followed [after Lao Tzu] made it a ritual only, and used the Tao Te Ching as a sourcebook of magic . . . Modern Taoism is a system of unreasoning credulity based on superstition, a foolish idolatry served by an ignorant and venal priesthood.

Unlike the religion, Taoist philosophy is extremely enlightened, and Christian doctrine bears so strong a resemblance to it as to make any differences meaningless. As regards your claim about no universal mind or consciousness, that is just YOUR opinion.

The origin of the Tao, the way of life, is unknown, but it seems to come from the earliest stages of man's existence. The key concept stresses universal charity and includes "love thy enemies and do good to them" which should be familiar to any Christian. In explaining the Tao, R.L.Wing described it thus,

. . . If reality came about because the Absolute wanted to know itself, then our evolutionary destiny must be to help it get a good look by investigating, observing, and emulating nature.

. . . If we extend the Taoist ideal of a cooperative world-consciousness to universal dimensions, then the universe has but one purpose, and evolution moves in one direction: toward the development of a vast network of a nervous system that will bring into existence a conscious mind for the entire universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality