U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 11:36 AM

9,162 posts, read 5,272,086 times

Advertisements

It's wise and healthy to study ALL of them, along with as many studies in philosophy as possible. Take all in, look for common threads, and gain from what is most genuine and beneficial.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 05-25-2022 at 12:09 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 01:52 PM

17 posts, read 4,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Studied my own religion more deeply, found great value in it as well as truth, and continuing my journey.
I have studied other religions as well and find at their depth they all say the same truth. I believe religion is deeply embedded in culture, soil, and way of life. To stay with what you have been given and understand it in a way it sits well with you is the easiest and the best.
How long does it take of you to reach this conclusion?? Of you don't mind may I ask what's your religion?

Old 05-25-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Yes. When I left home for college, I discovered that I had a freedom to explore any faith that I wanted. So, I took time to do just that. I attended so many different types of events all pertaining to various faiths. I found it to be educationally enhancing. I found the anthropology classes which discussed religious beliefs and rituals to be equally fascinating.
While I now identify as an atheist, in that I believe that no such "god or gods" exist outside of the human mind, and that gods are a creation of the human imagination, I will say that I am glad that I went out and explored on my own.

When I was growing up, we had one moronic Sunday school teacher in our Baptist church go so far as to tell us not to explore other religions or even ask other people what their religion believes. His words were "If you want to know what another religion teaches, ask us and we will tell you" Experience shows that when asked, the answers he gave were wrong nearly 100% of the time.
Thankfully, I hadn't met this teacher in my life or I guess it might be ended with myself behind the bars

May I ask what turns you to be an atheist, I think everyone hits the time one day to think being an atheist for different reasons, but what triggers you to be ?

Old 05-25-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's wise and healthy to study ALL of them, along with as many studies in philosophy as possible. Take all in, look for common threads, and gain from what is most genuine and beneficial.
It's so hard to do, specially with raising three boys , but I don't mind asking for a hand specially about Buddhism and Hinduism, paths that doesn't have much sources in Arabic

Old 05-25-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
When I 'discovered' Theravada Buddhism it was the result of travel that opened up a different culture to me.
How long it takes ? And what's the most thing attracted you to Theravada Buddhism?

Old 05-25-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You can not find the Truth in a path, that is not yours.
By yours, I mean - one that is not appealing to your heart.
You can be born into a path, forced into it, a trend may pull you in, etc.

But, if it does not speak to your heart - that is not your path and, in long run, it will only harm you.
So yes, it is only prudent to explore your options, plenty as they are, until certain vibes will align with the vibes of your heart - and then, you will be TOUCHED and The Light will open for you and shine bright, no matter, how strange that path may appear to others.
fully agree, but what's more important, what we see good for us what a TRUE GOD sees for us while seeking this path ?

Old 05-25-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I have been a Christian for 30 years, and have been seriously studying other religions and apologetics for about 28 years. And no, I haven't found a truth in other religions. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.
God bless

Old 05-25-2022, 02:51 PM

81,744 posts, read 75,268,037 times
I learned something about other religions while working in one of the most multicultural environments in our country, the World Trade Center. You will recall that people from 90 different countries died there on 911, so you can imagine all the religions were there, too. My office was one where we talked freely about it.

I worked with all types of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, etc., as well as atheists. There was a Jain in my office.

Most people who worked there did not despise Muslims after 911 as some others on the outside promoted because our Muslim coworkers ran out of those buildings right alongside us and came back alongside us to rebuild the site.

The best way to lose your religious prejudices is to get to know people of different faiths. We have more in common than not.

Old 05-25-2022, 03:09 PM

13,383 posts, read 5,129,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islam yehia View Post
How long does it take of you to reach this conclusion?? Of you don't mind may I ask what's your religion?
My religion is Hinduism, and i follow a school of thought within it called Advaita Vedanta, also know as nondualism. Advaita asserts in our essence we are of the same essence as Divinity itself. The truth of that assertion is to be realized by oneself.
Most Hindus grow up with some form of that concept but not entirely. There are different views on that.
While i knew this is what my religion says, i did not understand exactly what that means. I have always been fascinated by this concept of the divine even as a young adult. I started my serious study of those texts that are foundational to Advaita/nondualism, about 3 years ago. Over that time i have also been reading books on concepts of non-dualism that exist in other religions and thoughts. Every religion has that aspect within their texts. Sometimes they are expunged or considered heresy. I believe it is the most natural thing to believe.
Please share what you believe and what is your religion.

Old 05-25-2022, 03:57 PM

45,175 posts, read 19,794,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islam yehia View Post
How long it takes ? And what's the most thing attracted you to Theravada Buddhism?
For me it was a gradual change. First 'dabbling' in it. Then trying to meld it with christianity. 20 years before I felt fully converted.

Theravada Buddhism allows to consider teachings, to test them, and then come to your own conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality