U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 01:23 AM

15,019 posts, read 3,769,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
What you are saying is the same as those that supported Hoyle over Lamaitre.
They could have also produced dissenting views.
EVERY bit of scientific research...especially "breakthroughs" see a lot of dissent.

https://www.robertlanzabiocentrism.c...eates-reality/

That you completely reject a top scientist that is published in the top physics journals tells me:
A. You know squat about it yourself.
B. You are ruled by your bias.
To avoid any thread derail, I have refuted your evasion and ad homimem here.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/63580843-post29.html

As to the OP, that is what I like about Daoism, it is a religion that does not argue for some improbable intelligent creator, and some of it's ideas are mirrored in modern science, such as the concept of ying and yang, and the zero energy universe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 04:22 AM

15,019 posts, read 3,769,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
if they were as logical as they claim ... they would be allowing me to question them.

I did like the poster accused you of a add humanoid attack attack tho ... when in doubt they attack, then blame us ... it is to funny ...
I am not the one stopping you. As for the ad hominem, it WAS an attack on me instead of addressing the actual argument, as is you post.

You are free to address my actual logic and the relevant science using the link to the science forum I provided, and we will evaluate your arguments there (where I am allowed to address your posts).

Otherwise please only address the OP, and stop these indirect ad hominems, it makes every post of yours read like an autobiography.

So please tell us what other religions and paths of spirituality you have studied.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:39 AM

13,494 posts, read 5,163,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. Not necessarily. Some of us seek or seeked out something different. If that's true, however, then I guess you're more guilty than most of "satisfying one’s curiosity, of confirming one’s bias".
2. Not sure I agree. My son invited me to a party. I was the only non-Muslim out of about a hundred people (it was held at a hotel). By the end of the evening, most of the men had walked over to chat with me for at least a while. And with only a few exceptions, each ended up asking me something along the lines of, "Don't you agree that 9/11 was done by the CIA". As my son later said, "You could only understand if you were a Muslim".
3. You are telling people to stay in their own lane...even though you don't?
I dont explore religions. I grew up with several around me, intimately connected to them, because they all flow from one thought: All paths lead to divinity. There was no need to explore them, the practitioners were my neighbors and friends, teachers, businessmen and doctors.
Study of religions is different from “exploring” them. If you dont know the difference you should.
Your son is correct and i am not sure you understood him correctly. The CIA is to be hated by anyone who understands the damage it has wreaked in other countries, in the mideast and south asia, the number of people it has killed, as well as within the US. It is a spy agency that foments wars. The virulent attacks on Muslims and their religion is nothing less than war on them. All conspiracy theories are based on fear, but also contain some truth.
Yes, stay in your lane. You do not need to meddle with other people’s religion and judge them with ignorant disdain for their culture, language, and humanity, which is what is evident in all your personal stories about your experience with the country and people ofvThailand. It is cringe inducing.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:52 AM

9,146 posts, read 5,172,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I dont explore religions. I grew up with several around me, intimately connected to them, because they all flow from one thought: All paths lead to divinity. There was no need to explore them, the practitioners were my neighbors and friends, teachers, businessmen and doctors.
Study of religions is different from “exploring” them. If you dont know the difference you should.
Your son is correct and i am not sure you understood him correctly. The CIA is to be hated by anyone who understands the damage it has wreaked in other countries, in the mideast and south asia, the number of people it has killed, as well as within the US. It is a spy agency that foments wars. The virulent attacks on Muslims and their religion is nothing less than war on them. All conspiracy theories are based on fear, but also contain some truth.
Yes, stay in your lane. You do not need to meddle with other people’s religion and judge them with ignorant disdain for their culture, language, and humanity, which is what is evident in all your personal stories about your experience with the country and people ofvThailand. It is cringe inducing.
WTH does the CIA have to do with exploring other religions?

BTW, I also was raised in Christianity but decided to "explore" Judaism and converted 46 years ago.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post

BTW, I also was raised in Christianity but decided to "explore" Judaism and converted 46 years ago.
The context is the original post thst contained reference to CIA. You should ask him what he was trying to say.
If you converted and stayed a Jew for 46 years then you are not exploring religions in order to understand people. In my opinion understanding people by learning about their religion causes more harm than understanding. People are not curiosities. Communicating with them as people who are just like oneself is the only way to understanding people.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:10 AM

9,146 posts, read 5,172,909 times
Quote:
The context is the original post thst contained reference to CIA. You should ask him what he was trying to say.
If you converted and stayed a Jew for 46 years then you are not exploring religions in order to understand people. In my opinion understanding people by learning about their religion causes more harm than understanding. People are not curiosities. Communicating with them as people who are just like oneself is the only way to understanding people.
One can learn about another persons religion from that person in order to appreciate and understand their beliefs without regarding that person as a curiosity. Their religion is a part of their personality and lifestyle, and understanding the similarities and differences with ones own beliefs is a way of establishing commonalities between people.

And I never said I was exploring other religions to understand people; I simply stated that I had explored Judaism. Why are you so argumentative?

Old 06-08-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
One can learn about another persons religion from that person in order to appreciate and understand their beliefs without regarding that person as a curiosity. Their religion is a part of their personality and lifestyle, and understanding the similarities and differences with ones own beliefs is a way of establishing commonalities between people.

And I never said I was exploring other religions to understand people; I simply stated that I had explored Judaism. Why are you so argumentative?
When you read a post it helps to read the title of the thread. “Exploring other religions and faith.” That is the topic.
Why is this difficult for you? Expressing my opinion and presenting my argument for it is called a discussion.
If you are averse to it then I dont know where ypu will find what younare looking for.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:20 AM

45,268 posts, read 19,851,804 times
Quote:
Growing up with various religions around one does not mean a whole lot.

I grew up with Mormonism around men (Hill Cumorah just up the road from my childhood home, the first Mormon church in Palmyra almost directly across the road from us, Joseph Smith's farm just over the back hill from us. So what? Did that give me any deep knowledge of Mormonism? No.

Well, I'll tell you. You don't know anything about my time in Thailand or the interactions with or reactions of Thai people to me. Odd that I'm the one who was invited by Thai abbot to ordain. Odd that I'm the one who was frequently invited to participate with Thai Theravada monks in their evening chanting and meditation.
It's not at all what you portray it as being. Your reactions to me are nothing but pavlovian.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:

The problem is that we have a couple of posters who enjoy applying rules to everyone else, but those rules don't apply to them as they (particularly one) attempt to speak for all religions.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
People in other cultures are NOT "just like oneself"...in either direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality