Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 02:30 AM

17 posts, read 6,224 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody,

I'm new here, this is my first thread, and I'm asking a question that always comes throw my mind, do you try to explore other religions? maybe you find a truth in a path that not yours, or you just decide to follow your parents and community's religion or you took the easier way to reject them all ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 06:24 AM

15,817 posts, read 6,881,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islam yehia View Post
Hi Everybody,

I'm new here, this is my first thread, and I'm asking a question that always comes throw my mind, do you try to explore other religions? maybe you find a truth in a path that not yours, or you just decide to follow your parents and community's religion or you took the easier way to reject them all ?
Studied my own religion more deeply, found great value in it as well as truth, and continuing my journey.
I have studied other religions as well and find at their depth they all say the same truth. I believe religion is deeply embedded in culture, soil, and way of life. To stay with what you have been given and understand it in a way it sits well with you is the easiest and the best.

Old 05-25-2022, 06:38 AM

7,570 posts, read 6,026,102 times
Yes. When I left home for college, I discovered that I had a freedom to explore any faith that I wanted. So, I took time to do just that. I attended so many different types of events all pertaining to various faiths. I found it to be educationally enhancing. I found the anthropology classes which discussed religious beliefs and rituals to be equally fascinating.
While I now identify as an atheist, in that I believe that no such "god or gods" exist outside of the human mind, and that gods are a creation of the human imagination, I will say that I am glad that I went out and explored on my own.

When I was growing up, we had one moronic Sunday school teacher in our Baptist church go so far as to tell us not to explore other religions or even ask other people what their religion believes. His words were "If you want to know what another religion teaches, ask us and we will tell you" Experience shows that when asked, the answers he gave were wrong nearly 100% of the time.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:58 AM

15,817 posts, read 6,881,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Yes. When I left home for college, I discovered that I had a freedom to explore any faith that I wanted. So, I took time to do just that. I attended so many different types of events all pertaining to various faiths. I found it to be educationally enhancing. I found the anthropology classes which discussed religious beliefs and rituals to be equally fascinating.
While I now identify as an atheist, in that I believe that no such "god or gods" exist outside of the human mind, and that gods are a creation of the human imagination, I will say that I am glad that I went out and explored on my own.

When I was growing up, we had one moronic Sunday school teacher in our Baptist church go so far as to tell us not to explore other religions or even ask other people what their religion believes. His words were "If you want to know what another religion teaches, ask us and we will tell you" Experience shows that when asked, the answers he gave were wrong nearly 100% of the time.
When you became an adult did you ever explore all aspects of Christianity? Did you read deeply what Jesus said, and the various reflections on him by various scholars? Did you explore gnosist christianity?
Sunday school teacher may not be the right spiritual guide.
I went to a jesuit university and Religion was a required course. Our first exercise was an essay on a Religion of our choice. The choices were all Abrahamic religions and the various sects of Christianity. I asked the professor, a jesuit priest, if i can write my essay on Hinduism. He first said it is too complex but then agreed. Not only did I score an A on the essay (not too complex for him obviously) he asked me to read the essay for the whole class. This in Ohio.
I am sure there is narrow mindedness and even ignorance in those who we consider religious leaders. But in all through my education in Catholic (Irish Catholic) institutions i never experienced that. The only time i have been accosted by bible holding missionaries asking to save me, they were lay people. Not scholars.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:55 AM

50,225 posts, read 23,853,725 times
Quote:
Hi Everybody,

When I 'discovered' Theravada Buddhism it was the result of travel that opened up a different culture to me.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:56 AM

18,801 posts, read 27,246,954 times
Quote:
Hi Everybody,

You can not find the Truth in a path, that is not yours.
By yours, I mean - one that is not appealing to your heart.
You can be born into a path, forced into it, a trend may pull you in, etc.

But, if it does not speak to your heart - that is not your path and, in long run, it will only harm you.
So yes, it is only prudent to explore your options, plenty as they are, until certain vibes will align with the vibes of your heart - and then, you will be TOUCHED and The Light will open for you and shine bright, no matter, how strange that path may appear to others.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:22 AM

19,755 posts, read 13,289,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

But, if it does not speak to your heart - that is not your path and, in long run, it will only harm you.
There may be a sense in which this is true of me. I was compliant and (too) eager to please / comply with my flavor of fundamentalist Christianity, but in retrospect I don't believe it ever really 'spoke' to me. The trouble is that as a youth I didn't really know myself or who the heck I was to begin with.

Subsequently I did consider a variety of other religious options that were open to me but by then I had identified my basic problem as one of epistemology (what truth is and how one identifies it) and I saw all of these options suffering from failed epistemological approaches to truth.

What "speaks" to / appeals / draws me now is supportable, substantiatable arguments built on sound hypotheses, which pretty much means scientifically valid hypotheses. Hence my atheism. I am an atheist in the definitional sense (no belief in any deities) but it really has less to do with that with having the freedom to draw conclusions from evidence rather than pale substitutes like dogma, and, the freedom to say "I don't know [for sure]" as appropriate also. That is, being able to sit with uncertainty, even uncertainties unlikely to be resolved in my lifetime.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:19 AM

18,822 posts, read 6,845,258 times
Quote:
Hi Everybody,

I have been a Christian for 30 years, and have been seriously studying other religions and apologetics for about 28 years. And no, I haven't found a truth in other religions. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:29 AM

50,225 posts, read 23,853,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I have been a Christian for 30 years, and have been seriously studying other religions and apologetics for about 28 years. And no, I haven't found a truth in other religions. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.
'seriously studying other religions"...what does that mean? And in all that studying you didn't find a single shred of wisdom?

Excuse me while I guffaw.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:35 AM

4,840 posts, read 4,127,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

So yes, it is only prudent to explore your options, plenty as they are, until certain vibes will align with the vibes of your heart - and then, you will be TOUCHED and The Light will open for you and shine bright, no matter, how strange that path may appear to others.
Agreed.

I was raised Baptist but became disillusioned with the impact of humans on the beliefs. I started looking outwards to find something that made sense to me. It's been a journey of many years.

As recently as a few weeks ago I bought some books about world religions in an attempt to learn. I do not believe there is only ONE way. I believe the path is truly individual, as ukrkoz so eloquently put it.

Open your mind and your heart...if that is the path you need to take.

If not, there is nothing wrong with following in the footsteps of your family and culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality