Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 11:53 AM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
It is virtually impossible to control a person, that does not fear death.
Yes and no. A person who does not fear death may still fear things like torture, starvation, threats to loved ones they are responsible for, etc.

I do not fear death at all, despite not believing in an afterlife, but I do have a healthy respect for how the process of dying can often play out. Also I do not particularly enjoy the prospect of open heart surgery I might have to undergo eventually, etc.

If someone wanted to make me do something I don't want to do by force they could not threaten to kill me with a bullet through the head, that wouldn't be effective. But they could start torturing my wife or daughter or stepson in front of me, and offer to stop if I did the thing they want me to do, and I would give it very serious consideration indeed. This would just be using my own empathy against me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2022, 12:52 PM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
I think there's a difference between fearing dying and fearing death.

Old 06-11-2022, 04:41 PM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think there's a difference between fearing dying and fearing death.
Absolutely.

Old 06-11-2022, 05:02 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
I fear how I am going to die. Not death.

To many people don't do understand that there are things that gnaw at a man's gizzard far worse than death. Far left/far right seem to be people that just don't understand that life isn't a birth right.

Old 06-11-2022, 09:05 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes and no. A person who does not fear death may still fear things like torture, starvation, threats to loved ones they are responsible for, etc.

I do not fear death at all, despite not believing in an afterlife, but I do have a healthy respect for how the process of dying can often play out. Also I do not particularly enjoy the prospect of open heart surgery I might have to undergo eventually, etc.

If someone wanted to make me do something I don't want to do by force they could not threaten to kill me with a bullet through the head, that wouldn't be effective. But they could start torturing my wife or daughter or stepson in front of me, and offer to stop if I did the thing they want me to do, and I would give it very serious consideration indeed. This would just be using my own empathy against me.

You missed the " knows that it is immortal soul" in what I said. Also, knows his wife and children are immortal souls too.
But anyhow.
This should be a good read for you:

Just forget the love story et al. The philosophy is - free spirit, the true free spirit, can not be controlled.

Old 06-12-2022, 05:19 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You missed the " knows that it is immortal soul" in what I said. Also, knows his wife and children are immortal souls too.
But anyhow.
This should be a good read for you:
Just forget the love story et al. The philosophy is - free spirit, the true free spirit, can not be controlled.
yes

Old 06-15-2022, 02:08 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I was not sure the best place for it. Many people who have experienced an NDE are Christians, and some claim to have seen Jesus during their NDEs. Sometimes it is hard to decide which is a best forum for a thread. (LOL)
I suspect that ANY being which is super-loving and exudes love , energy, compassion, etc will be interpreted as Jesus by Christians. Thats not a criticism but a natural bias because they are Christians and the only super-being they know is Jesus himself. I am sure if you asked the being itself, it would tell you that it was not Jesus (or the one you know as Jesus).

From what I read of out-of-body books by Robert Monroe, William Buhlmer, etc, etc they report having met these beings on their OBE travels who are super-bright, super-loving, super-energetic, and too much to handle by our own energy standards. Like being pushed in front of the sun or a searchlight, although I am sure these beings are aware of the condition..

I dont think many people understand that we are like a lightbulb, our energy(light) is often dim and progressing spiritually over years and lifetimes, will be the turning up the power/brightness on that lightbulb. Consequently, beings more spiritually advanced than us (as we interpret it) have a brighter lightbulb. Too much exposure to this is likely to shatter us which is why we generally dont come across these types of being often and when we do, it is when we have someone to shield us from the brightness.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:36 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I suspect that ANY being which is super-loving and exudes love , energy, compassion, etc will be interpreted as Jesus by Christians. Thats not a criticism but a natural bias because they are Christians and the only super-being they know is Jesus himself. I am sure if you asked the being itself, it would tell you that it was not Jesus (or the one you know as Jesus).
Christians don't automatically react to The Light as Jesus. Some feel they recognize it as God, not the Son of God.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:11 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
I too have been fascinated by NDEs and have read/studied thousands of them.
One of the most compelling aspects are the OBEs (out of body experiences) which have been proved repeatedly to actually happen.

Some call it consciousness that leaves the body, others call it spirit or soul. There is definitely a conscious energy that leaves the body, and i imagine for atheists that’s a hard one.

My fascination with NDEs comes from the validation of knowing we go “HOME” to God which I’ve always felt and known at a deep level and that this human experience/incarnation is not who I really am nor where my real spiritual home is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality