Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 09:59 AM

3,170 posts, read 1,270,573 times

Advertisements

There wasn't Judasim back then and there is no book of his religion as far as I am concered.

It is not Judasim, Christianity or Islam.

So what is the religion of him and why isn't there a book for his religion such as Torah, Bible or Quran?

Last edited by The Grandeur; 06-09-2022 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 10:13 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
There wasn't Judasim back then and there is no book of his religion as far as I am concered.

So what is the religion of him and why isn't there a book for his religion such as Torah, Bible or Quran?
IMO, his religion was monotheism which is the fundamental part of Islamic and to some extent Jewish faith.

There was no "BOOK" that was revealed to Abraham. They were "Scrolls".

Old 06-09-2022, 10:38 AM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times
Quote:

He was a self-taught monotheist. He had a tradition of learning that he got from his ancestor, Shem. He spoke with God so he didn't need a book -- God says circumcise, you circumcise. He taught his family and retinue directly (except for some who also studied in the academy of Shem). Some say he did, indeed, author certain texts (or teach their contents which otehrs wrote down) such as the Sefer Yetzirah.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
He was a self-taught monotheist. He had a tradition of learning that he got from his ancestor, Shem. He spoke with God so he didn't need a book -- God says circumcise, you circumcise. He taught his family and retinue directly (except for some who also studied in the academy of Shem). Some say he did, indeed, author certain texts (or teach their contents which otehrs wrote down) such as the Sefer Yetzirah.
How did people learn the religion and its rules without a book?

Old 06-09-2022, 10:53 AM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times
Quote:
They actually talked to each other and parents modeled behavior for their children. Somehow my kids learned English before they knew how to read.

Old 06-09-2022, 11:01 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
scripture answers you:

This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time,” declares the LORD. “I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.
Jeremiah 31:33 -

Old 06-09-2022, 12:12 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:

He worshiped Yahweh. Not sure it had a name. But he was the Father of the Jewish race, as it was his grandson Jacob that fathered the 12 tribes of Israel.

He was justified by faith. Genesis tells us he believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness. And God calls all Christians to the same thing today. While Abraham looked forward to the promise, we look back at the promise: Jesus.

Old 06-09-2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
He worshiped Yahweh. Not sure it had a name. But he was the Father of the Jewish race, as it was his grandson Jacob that fathered the 12 tribes of Israel.

He was justified by faith. Genesis tells us he believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness. And God calls all Christians to the same thing today. While Abraham looked forward to the promise, we look back at the promise: Jesus.
Didn't the name YHWH come with Torah, which was dedicated to Moses as he asked for a name?

Old 06-09-2022, 12:55 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Didn't the name YHWH come with Torah, which was dedicated to Moses as he asked for a name?
I'm sorry. Not sure what you mean by "dedicated to Moses".

Yahweh called Abraham. He appeared to Abraham and called him long before Moses existed. Yes, the Jews used the tetragrammaton in the Torah because they didn't want to write the name of God, but historically the name has been known as Yahweh.

Old 06-09-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm sorry. Not sure what you mean by "dedicated to Moses".

Yahweh called Abraham. He appeared to Abraham and called him long before Moses existed. Yes, the Jews used the tetragrammaton in the Torah because they didn't want to write the name of God, but historically the name has been known as Yahweh.
So, it wasn't Moses which God gave the name of YHWH at first?

Is the name YHWH known by people before Torah?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality