Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2022, 09:05 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I did not always that I thought this way, if at all I did, but I believe what we pick and what we choose only matters after we realize what is wisdom and what is not. I also notice what I study does not immediately become part of me. It is only with careful study of the texts, with the help of teaching, meditating on the words and repeatedly reasoning out the meaning of the words, being patient and giving thoughts time to mature, that the meaning unfolds and becomes part of me. Windows open that did not exist before. Sort of like good wine that needs careful nurturing from soil to seed to fruit to ripen to be extracted and processed, and then just still to mature.I also find my yoga practice is the same. All things that matter takes time to be left to steep and mature before it yields its essence.
I get what you are saying here. In the last church in which I was active up until a few years ago, we had a meeting every week for what is called Centering Prayer. It is basically a Christian practice of meditation, based on the idea that "the first language of God is silence".

One has a sacred word of their own choosing, and the session starts off with a simple invitation to God to enter, and then for 20 minutes, everyone sat in silence, allowing thoughts to pass through and be let go without focusing on them, using one's word to pull one's self back in should you find your mind attaching to a thought. It wasn't easy, but got easier with time and solitary practice outside of the group meeting.

The idea was not that after the 20 minutes one would leap up and have this great spiritual revelation and life-changing experience, but that over time, change and wisdom would come within.

Later, I was able to attain that same sense of connection by sitting in a natural setting in quiet and peace. You take it with you when the time ends.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:24 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
America is a religious country and it has always been thus. It is myopic to think other than that the laws are inspired by religion.
It is a non sequitur to think they are inspired by religion. The US is mostly white people, you do not argue it is myopic to think other than that the laws are inspired by skin color.

Of course, you could try an experiment and live by Christian laws and see how long you stay out of jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 09:32 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I get what you are saying here. In the last church in which I was active up until a few years ago, we had a meeting every week for what is called Centering Prayer. It is basically a Christian practice of meditation, based on the idea that "the first language of God is silence".

One has a sacred word of their own choosing, and the session starts off with a simple invitation to God to enter, and then for 20 minutes, everyone sat in silence, allowing thoughts to pass through and be let go without focusing on them, using one's word to pull one's self back in should you find your mind attaching to a thought. It wasn't easy, but got easier with time and solitary practice outside of the group meeting.

The idea was not that after the 20 minutes one would leap up and have this great spiritual revelation and life-changing experience, but that over time, change and wisdom would come within.

Later, I was able to attain that same sense of connection by sitting in a natural setting in quiet and peace. You take it with you when the time ends.
Nice post, MQ. Thank you for sharing that. It is more evidence that at its center where it matters all religions converge.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
It is a non sequitur to think they are inspired by religion. The US is mostly white people, you do not argue it is myopic to think other than that the laws are inspired by skin color.

Of course, you could try an experiment and live by Christian laws and see how long you stay out of jail.
Who is arguing? But America has also become multi colored and multi religious, because of freedom and democracy. And that is changing the landscape. I am happy being an American and when i need to i can complain as loudly. I know Germany’s history, nothing to be proud of. But Angela Markel did it proud. Took a woman as always.

Old 06-25-2022, 10:56 AM

50,817 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I didn't mean to suggest any notion in Lennon's song is likely to happen. Of course not. Just asking why the idealism is something not to appreciate or enjoy, let alone give cause to hate a song. Not sure if you are a music lover like I am, but am I to understand you don't have a favorite songs having to do with idealism?

Back to the topic of this thread, how does the recent SC decision fit in?
I don't think that it is idealism to ignore human cultures, something that results in nationhood (at least sometimes).

As far as your last sentence...you ought to know better by now.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:08 AM

50,817 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
America is a religious country and it has always been thus. It is myopic to think other than that the laws are inspired by religion. America is also a free country and a democracy and of the people, and the people are religious, 81% apparently.
This particular situation is not just about religion, it never is. It is about misogyny, hatred and fear of the other, white supremacy, and a host of other things. I have hope we will find our our way out of this but this forum is not the place to discuss it.
Unfortunately, for the most part, the white supremacists identify with christianity.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:22 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The issue is supposed to be that the particular subject is too "political"
But other Federal/Supreme Court rulings & decisions (like on "prayer in government institutions") are not considered "politics" and commonly discussed.
And the ultimate "political documents" like the Declaration of Independence and The Constitution are always discussed.
The Founding Fathers (all top-level politicians)...constantly discussed and critiqued.
All those are just as, or more, "political" than that one particular mostly "social" issue.
It is about that particular issue, itself...for whatever reason...but not that it is more political than other topics regularly discussed.
There used to be long threads specifically about that subject...it was a popular subject.
I tend to agree with you said here. But there are exceptions to every rule.

This might be one of them. But, at the same time, there are exceptions to every exception, and this may be the time to let people "blow off" about it.

I see points to allow it for a spell and I see points for go to the political site and blow. I fully understand that the anti-'s don't like the political forum because bs doesn't really hold up there as well as it does here. So maybe give them room to blow ...

I am getting the sense that I am not sure either way.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
America is a religious country and it has always been thus. It is myopic to think other than that the laws are inspired by religion. America is also a free country and a democracy and of the people, and the people are religious, 81% apparently.
This particular situation is not just about religion, it never is. It is about misogyny, hatred and fear of the other, white supremacy, and a host of other things. I have hope we will find our our way out of this but this forum is not the place to discuss it.
I would change it to "skin color supremacy". Remember, if the whites were so bad we wouldn't have had made so much progress. Its white religious/believing people that are standing up to and fighting white supremacy.

I just wonder when the other other skin colors will stop their own. Or is it like atheism? they are so outnumber they don't care who they side with so long as they win? or how they win? or how many innocent bystanders fall. Serves them right I guess.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Who is arguing? But America has also become multi colored and multi religious, because of freedom and democracy. And that is changing the landscape. I am happy being an American and when i need to i can complain as loudly. I know Germany’s history, nothing to be proud of. But Angela Markel did it proud. Took a woman as always.
As I said, what they will not tell you is that its white people stopping their bad white people.

I would like to see the all skin colors to do it also. Not just whites. We could see some real change if the others stood next to the whites believers in stopping their own "fundy think types".

Old 06-25-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Unfortunately, for the most part, the white supremacists identify with christianity.
You are warped. Atheists, most of whom are white, are as capable of storming the capitol and shooting up children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality