Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2022, 07:32 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
More trespassing. More sticking your nose in other people's business.
There were JWs set up in the park where I walk last week. I guess they are coming out again post COVID.

Never saw them in a park before, mostly train stations.

Old 08-19-2022, 08:51 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There were JWs set up in the park where I walk last week. I guess they are coming out again post COVID.

I had one during our Covid rules, where we could walk sans mask but we had to keep a 2 meter distance from other people. This did not stop one of our local JWs (ZJ or JZ in German) from handing me a flyer.

And last month, one changed course and cycled up to me just to give me another flyer. But she had left the road, crossed a gravel place where cars are usually parked, then across 2 meters of grass, and was so focused on giving me the flyer, she did not realize she was not balanced. As I took the flyer, she fell to one side without trying to stop falling. When I helped her to stand, I collected the fallen flyers and gave them to her, including the one she gave to me.

Fortunately they can not get to our house door, although they do leave flyers in our post box. But when I lived in the city, I used to invite them in to discuss the Bible, but would only use my Stephanus (Koine Greek) version. They eventually stopped coming, but would still leave flyers in the post box.

But I can not get angry with them, those I know personally are nice people, especially my Grandfather's two very special friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I had one during our Covid rules, where we could walk sans mask but we had to keep a 2 meter distance from other people. This did not stop one of our local JWs (ZJ or JZ in German) from handing me a flyer.

And last month, one changed course and cycled up to me just to give me another flyer. But she had left the road, crossed a gravel place where cars are usually parked, then across 2 meters of grass, and was so focused on giving me the flyer, she did not realize she was not balanced. As I took the flyer, she fell to one side without trying to stop falling. When I helped her to stand, I collected the fallen flyers and gave them to her, including the one she gave to me.

Fortunately they can not get to our house door, although they do leave flyers in our post box. But when I lived in the city, I used to invite them in to discuss the Bible, but would only use my Stephanus (Koine Greek) version. They eventually stopped coming, but would still leave flyers in the post box.

But I can not get angry with them, those I know personally are nice people, especially my Grandfather's two very special friends.
I know, there is a disconnect here. I worked with a JW woman who was the sweetest lady. She would not preach at work to anyone. There was another in the next department who was more like the JW posters on this forum. Judgmental, standoffish, sneery.

The ones I used to see in the train stations smiled and seemed pleasant, and I would smile and say hello to them but keep walking, so I had no idea until COVID came and they increased their posting here that so many of them were so damn nasty.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:28 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:

If they stay to themselves and don't accost others, fine.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:55 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
In my experience, they take “no†for an answer. If you’re soliciting for anything, whether it be Girl Scout cookies, Fuller brushes, or religious adherents, you get a bite at the apple if you politely call out to passersby in a public place or knock on the door of a private residence without a “no soliciting†sign. If the person declines to engage, you move on and leave them be.

Old 08-19-2022, 10:05 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
In my experience, they take “no†for an answer. If you’re soliciting for anything, whether it be Girl Scout cookies, Fuller brushes, or religious adherents, you get a bite at the apple if you politely call out to passersby in a public place or knock on the door of a private residence without a “no soliciting†sign. If the person declines to engage, you move on and leave them be.
And both JW and Mormons obey a do not knock list of homes to not disturb.

My late MIL was a JW however I think they took advantage of her deminished mental abilities. She was not a member prior to her numerous strokes.

Old 08-19-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
And both JW and Mormons obey a do not knock list of homes to not disturb.

My late MIL was a JW however I think they took advantage of her deminished mental abilities. She was not a member prior to her numerous strokes.
No they don't. I contacted the local group and told them not to continue coming to my home and they refused to stop.

Old 08-19-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
They did not seem to. Had their little stand thingy with pamphlets and were just standing there smiling.

Old 08-19-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
They did not seem to. Had their little stand thingy with pamphlets and were just standing there smiling.
Cool with me.

Old 08-19-2022, 10:45 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Are you just speaking in terms of her joining, or did they manipulate her into giving money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality