Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2022, 10:21 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, when one states, "The absolute Truth is..." -- sounds like a fact-statement to me.
That may be due to some kind of incapacity, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 01:57 PM

1,111 posts, read 747,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Your god is a figment of your imagination. As are all gods, demons, angels or any other supernatural things. Just like faeries and leprechauns. Same scat, different pile.
and your "spirituality" is not? You're a joke.

Old 09-23-2022, 05:25 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've heard it said that not believing in hell is one of the best ways to get there. We're doomed if we do and doomed if we don't!
In Thai Buddhist thought, many believe hell is more like purgatory. Although there are many graphic images of Buddhist hell in some temples. But most see it as 'in the mind', not a literal place.

Old 09-24-2022, 05:44 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,917,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've heard it said that not believing in hell is one of the best ways to get there. We're doomed if we do and doomed if we don't!

The Hebrew word Sheol= The Greek word Hades, both translate the grave--hades is hell.

Old 09-25-2022, 05:51 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
The Hebrew word Sheol= The Greek word Hades, both translate the grave--hades is hell.
Sheol was the Hebrew place of the dead, both the righteous and unrighteous. In Hebrew cosmology there was a gulf between the righteous side (known as "the bosom of Abraham") and the unrighteous side.

Hades is the Greek god of the dead and king of the underworld. The realm of Hades was a gloomy place where, like Sheol, all the dead go. Later Greek philosophy came up with the notion that all mortals are judged after death and either rewarded or cursed.

The NT also refers to Gehenna, another word translated as "hell". It is a garbage dump outside Jerusalem where the trash was burned, where the fire was, so to speak, never quenched.

Most of the modern conception of hell as a place of torment and fire and eternal suffering comes from Milton and Dante, not the scriptures. It is unfortunate that the KJV translated all of these words "hell". Or handy that it did, if you want to control people through fear.

Old 11-08-2022, 07:23 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
How Religion does Good
Religion doesn’t ‘do good’ (or bad); it’s people who contribute, aid, protect/fight for others - and some of us are atheists. :-)

Old 11-08-2022, 07:49 PM

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/s...ort/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Religion doesn’t ‘do good’ (or bad); it’s people who contribute, aid, protect/fight for others - and some of us are atheists. :-)
Absolutely it is people who do good or bad. Religion provides a structure to do good. Each of us can contribute individually but it does not compare to a food truck pulling up at a disaster area and feeding the hungry. The langar or feeding in Gurdwaras feeds anyone who walks in. The compassion and service is part of the devotion. It shapes character.
I am sure my post will be followed by a chorus “how about the sex abuse in the church by priests?”
The church did not provide a structure for the abuse, the abusers are responsible for their actions.

Old 11-08-2022, 08:13 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Religion provides a structure to do good. Each of us can contribute individually but it does not compare to a food truck pulling up at a disaster area and feeding the hungry.
Sure, it provides opportunity; but even a group effort (of any size) requires individual contribution. How is disaster relief any different i.e. why does it not compare? Keep in mind your thread title states ‘How Religion Does Good’. Hence my point relative to the individual i.e. not all theists have compassion or empathy, and not all atheists lack it.

Old 11-09-2022, 02:56 AM

3,802 posts, read 2,996,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Sheol was the Hebrew place of the dead, both the righteous and unrighteous. In Hebrew cosmology there was a gulf between the righteous side (known as "the bosom of Abraham") and the unrighteous side.

Hades is the Greek god of the dead and king of the underworld. The realm of Hades was a gloomy place where, like Sheol, all the dead go. Later Greek philosophy came up with the notion that all mortals are judged after death and either rewarded or cursed.

The NT also refers to Gehenna, another word translated as "hell". It is a garbage dump outside Jerusalem where the trash was burned, where the fire was, so to speak, never quenched.

Most of the modern conception of hell as a place of torment and fire and eternal suffering comes from Milton and Dante, not the scriptures. It is unfortunate that the KJV translated all of these words "hell". Or handy that it did, if you want to control people through fear.
I always thought it was the Catholic Church who were accused of inventing the eternal “Hell” concept.
But the KJV obviously solidifies it.
It is pretty much part of a “statement of faith” for many Evangelical churches.

Old 11-09-2022, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Sure, it provides opportunity; but even a group effort (of any size) requires individual contribution. How is disaster relief any different i.e. why does it not compare? Keep in mind your thread title states ‘How Religion Does Good’. Hence my point relative to the individual i.e. not all theists have compassion or empathy, and not all atheists lack it.
You are picking an argument that does not exist. How Religion does good does not exclude all other good acts done by people all over the world. It is a subset of the universe of goodness. Some like me believe the universe of goodness IS Divinity, the human need to do good is Divinity. That is a belief that nobody needs to share in order to do good, it comes naturally because Divinity is within all of us and it get expressed in action. That is also a belief, and nobody needs to share it to do good.

It is early morning here and thank you for helping me think good thoughts to greet the day.
A good morning to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality