Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2022, 08:11 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
"Chosen"? It makes sense.
"Superior ethnic"? Less sense. Good thing that's not how Jews view it.

My reply had more to do with what you say "makes sense," and then following with "how Jews view it."

My response was with respect to your entire comment, not just the "Superior ethnic" part. The part involving a belief in God was the part about how "chosen" makes sense.
Check again -- the "how Jews view it" was directly in response to "superior ethnic" and never mentioned God. And the "chosen" part makes sense because the biblical text says so, again nothing to do with God. That's all your insertion. You decided how what I wrote makes sense to you. That's not what I wrote, though, so your response was not to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 08:25 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yet you do not tell Goldie the thread killer, who is much more guilty.
Yes...my posts positively noting my Religion, God, and the Beliefs/Faith of others could be viewed as "killing" the constant Religion insulting and mocking that is so prevalent on this forum by the Atheists.
They don't like anything that isn't critical of Religion & the Religious on all the denigration threads/posts they put up...they do not like a view of Religion/Theism that's favorable.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:40 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yes...my posts positively noting my Religion, God, and the Beliefs/Faith of others could be viewed as "killing" the constant Religion insulting and mocking that is so prevalent on this forum by the Atheists.
They don't like anything that isn't critical of Religion & the Religious on all the denigration threads/posts they put up...they do not like a view of Religion/Theism that's favorable.
In defense of many of the atheists on this board, I have had both meaningful and civil conversations with them here and elsewhere on the C-D forums. Honestly, I see more sniping and acrimony between theists of various beliefs here, than I see between atheists and theists.

I personally am not offended by the disbelief of atheists.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:54 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Yes...my posts positively noting my Religion, God, ...
in every thread!!!. But please continue your usual rant.

Quote:
... and the Beliefs/Faith of others could be viewed as "killing" the constant Religion insulting and mocking that is so prevalent on this forum by the Atheists.
Again you misrepresent pointing out the bad theist arguments as mocking religion.

Quote:
Sorry, this is the R & S forum, not how to write fiction.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:05 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
In defense of many of the atheists on this board, I have had both meaningful and civil conversations with them here and elsewhere on the C-D forums. Honestly, I see more sniping and acrimony between theists of various beliefs here, than I see between atheists and theists.

I personally am not offended by the disbelief of atheists.
I'm not offended by Atheism either...I was one for most of my adult life.
I'm talking about the claim just made that I "kill" threads by posting about my Religious Beliefs (Pantheism) and being positive about Religion & the Religious...and noting the rude, disrespectful, insulting, and mocking of Religion and the Religious, that has become a very large part of this forum.
They slam and revile the Theologies, the doctrine, the Books & Writings, the Deities, the Organizations, and the Adherents for their Belief/Faith in it...in every way, and from every angle possible.
In fact...I've never seen anything like it anywhere else...to the point that I actually find it entertaining & amusing (the way I find horror movies and "insult comedy" entertaining).

Old 06-16-2022, 09:40 AM

1,480 posts, read 479,838 times
Being chosen by God is beautiful and the opposite of that and rejection of that would be making a god in your own image.

I love being answerable to God, because with that comes true guidance and the opposite to that is being answerable to no one and only being self-serving.

When God made the Covenant with the Israelites it came with blessing and curses, and it was accepted in those terms. And many seek the blessings while overlooking the curses. Which is what the Satan/ Serpent did with his beguiling lie in the Garden of Eden, when he said she would not die in following his word. And rejecting the thought of being answerable to God.

And you can see that Abel accepted God's word and owned up to it with his offering, while not overlooking what it meant that the firstborn of all God's creation being born into an existence with Death hanging over him. God accepted Abel's offering between the Cherubim at the entrance to the Garden of Eden. Which means he had the right to enter. But he also knew that must wait for his brother Cain to follow suit with his offering, being the firstborn that Abel's offering represented, which meant Cain would be required lay down his life and to place himself on the Altar between the Cherubim and seek the mercy seat. As God told him after rejecting his first offering, that if he did what was right, that he would be accepted, and then gave him warning. But Cain chose to serve his own image and be answerable to no one, while murdering his brother Abel. And rejecting the position of firstborn and heir of all God's creation. To enter the Garden, crush the serpents head and share the fruit from the tree of life with his family. So then the firstborn and heir of all God's creation, who is both loyal and answerable to God comes at God's chosen time. And he is not someone who comes along lately, as he is there from the beginning.

And you can see that Abraham walked in the same spirit as Abel and listened to God being completely answerable to God and God made Covenant with him being answerable to him, when he called. And Abraham is overwhelmed with all the Life God shares with him, as he looked to the firstborn and heir of all God's creation, who is revealed in first light and from God's first spoken. And knew when God shared the view of the land in every direction as far as the eye could see, and all the life therein as many as the sand on the shores and stars in the sky, that as it was pointed out to him on earth that it will be known to him in Heaven, in all together goodness.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:41 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,193 times
Quote:
I'm not offended by Atheism either...I was one for most of my adult life.
I'm talking about the claim just made that I "kill" threads by posting about my Religious Beliefs (Pantheism) and being positive about Religion & the Religious...and noting the rude, disrespectful, insulting, and mocking of Religion and the Religious, that has become a very large part of this forum.
They slam and revile the Theologies, the doctrine, the Books & Writings, the Deities, the Organizations, and the Adherents for their Belief/Faith in it...in every way, and from every angle possible.
In fact...I've never seen anything like it anywhere else...to the point that I actually find it entertaining & amusing (the way I find horror movies and "insult comedy" entertaining).
I'm saddened to see disrespect take the place of meaningful dialogue on any forum. As I said in a previous post in this thread: When the conversation on the forum begins to turn hostile, that is when the wise among us decide to disengage.

Old 06-16-2022, 10:49 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yet you do not tell Goldie the thread killer, who is much more guilty.
I dont see the equivalency.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:58 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
I love being answerable to God, because with that comes true guidance and the opposite to that is being answerable to no one and only being self-serving.
You are just using different words to make the same old argument that morality is externally bestowed from on high and must have a backing authority to enforce it.

Morality is a function of empathy for others and for your future self, it is something everyone possesses and can access.

Religious morality was not invented by Christianity or supplied by god. It is just societal morality with a few bolted-on things (and a few removed things). But not very different from societal morality, else it would be sanctioned by society as immoral.

It is also a false dichotomy that you present, that absent being "answerable to God", one is answerable to no one. This is manifestly untrue. If I am a bad actor, I am answerable to society generally, to my family, often to the law enforcement authorities, and to myself. Not to mention cause and effect.

Similar laws (and conventions and unspoken rules) exist in all societies, including those where Christianity is not the majority religion. Why? Because millennia of trial and error have demonstrated that the civil society most of us wish to live in is not sustainable when certain things are permitted.

Old 06-16-2022, 03:48 PM

1,480 posts, read 479,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
Being chosen by God is beautiful and the opposite of that and rejection of that would be making a god in your own image.

When God made the Covenant with the Israelites it came with blessing and curses, and it was accepted in those terms. And many seek the blessings while overlooking the curses. Which is what the Satan/ Serpent did with his beguiling lie in the Garden of Eden, when he said she would not die in following his word. And rejecting the thought of being answerable to God.

And you can see that Abel accepted God's word and owned up to it with his offering, while not overlooking what it meant that the firstborn of all God's creation being born into an existence with Death hanging over him. God accepted Abel's offering between the Cherubim at the entrance to the Garden of Eden. Which means he had the right to enter. But he also knew that must wait for his brother Cain to follow suit with his offering, being the firstborn that Abel's offering represented, which meant Cain would be required lay down his life and to place himself on the Altar between the Cherubim and seek the mercy seat. As God told him after rejecting his first offering, that if he did what was right, that he would be accepted, and then gave him warning. But Cain chose to serve his own image and be answerable to no one, while murdering his brother Abel. And rejecting the position of firstborn and heir of all God's creation. To enter the Garden, crush the serpents head and share the fruit from the tree of life with his family. So then the firstborn and heir of all God's creation, who is both loyal and answerable to God comes at God's chosen time. And he is not someone who comes along lately, as he is there from the beginning.

And you can see that Abraham walked in the same spirit as Abel and listened to God being completely answerable to God and God made Covenant with him being answerable to him, when he called. And Abraham is overwhelmed with all the Life God shares with him, as he looked to the firstborn and heir of all God's creation, who is revealed in first light and from God's first spoken. And knew when God shared the view of the land in every direction as far as the eye could see, and all the life therein as many as the sand on the shores and stars in the sky, that as it was pointed out to him on earth that it will be known to him in Heaven, in all together goodness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You are just using different words to make the same old argument that morality is externally bestowed from on high and must have a backing authority to enforce it.

Morality is a function of empathy for others and for your future self, it is something everyone possesses and can access.

Religious morality was not invented by Christianity or supplied by god. It is just societal morality with a few bolted-on things (and a few removed things). But not very different from societal morality, else it would be sanctioned by society as immoral.

It is also a false dichotomy that you present, that absent being "answerable to God", one is answerable to no one. This is manifestly untrue. If I am a bad actor, I am answerable to society generally, to my family, often to the law enforcement authorities, and to myself. Not to mention cause and effect.

Similar laws (and conventions and unspoken rules) exist in all societies, including those where Christianity is not the majority religion. Why? Because millennia of trial and error have demonstrated that the civil society most of us wish to live in is not sustainable when certain things are permitted.
What I bolded in my post above that you question, was about what happened in the Garden of Eden, and which I followed up with in the next paragraph. And it is even further explained in the next paragraph, between Cain and Abel.

I can also pick it up from there, when Lamech a descendant of Cain used the mercy God gave Cain to justify murder and lawlessness ensued, and after the flood God addresses these things in the Noahide laws.

You can consider yourself a good and moral person all you want. And I'm sure Cain thought of himself as a good and moral person all the way up to murdering his brother Abel, where it all turned evil. As he chose to serve his own image above all and chose not to be answerable to God for his brother Abel.

It also appears in these days with so much corruption all around, that lawless is on the rise again. And when government is corrupt, self-serving and making themselves above the law, how is the course straightened out. And they are constantly telling us how good, moral and wonderful they are. And I figure you can say that about many religious leaders as well.

I can't say that I am squeaky clean either, however I will own all my wrongs and accept full punishment, as I have no desire to cover those things or justify them, because I look to God's covering and direction past all that.

Last edited by chief scum; 06-16-2022 at 04:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality