Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2022, 08:13 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
He seems to be under the illusion that he can let in or keep out poster in any thread he starts. That is precious, Bless his dear heart.
I should probably leave this "confusion" for Phet to address, but I think he already tried. I didn't detect any effort to keep out a poster in any case...

In fact I read Phet's comment to mean that he was inviting anyone to post whatever "good, bad or ugly" aspect of religion anyone would like to share in this thread. What's wrong with that and/or why all this insult and push-back about initiating such a thread even if out of disappointment about yours? Lots of threads are started for the same reasons and/or inspired in one way or another by another thread.

Out of objection over my Ten Truths thread, for example, I had someone start another thread about the same topic for the express purpose of being critical about my thread. Why not be critical in the thread I started (as I always invite anyone to do), I still don't really know. In any case, I find all this insult and objection to starting this thread rather "unbalanced." Contrary to what I think Phet was going for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 08:33 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Where does the religion followed by those of Jonestown or Heavan's Gate fall intona category? I am not speaking about theisism or Christianity or even of the leaders of those cults but the religion/cults members themselves. Or did hundreds of individuals decide independently of their religion to commit suicide all at the same time?

Old 06-25-2022, 08:45 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Where does the religion followed by those of Jonestown or Heavan's Gate fall intona category? I am not speaking about theisism or Christianity or even of the leaders of those cults but the religion/cults members themselves. Or did hundreds of individuals decide independently of their religion to commit suicide all at the same time?
They were also drugged. Did you forget that? Their choice was drugged out of them. This has nothing to do with choice or religion. An anomaly.

Yet Atheists actions never smear Atheism according to you. Neither does religion gets smeared because of what people do.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:51 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Well, aren't the Heaven's Gate people all on that spaceship that was at the tail of the comet? I imagine they are pretty far out of the galaxy by now, but of course there is no way of knowing what the speed capacity of the spaceship is.

As far as Jonestown goes, that's solidly in the "Ugly" category.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
They were also drugged. Did you forget that? Their choice was drugged out of them. This has nothing to do with choice or religion. An anomaly.

Yet Atheists actions never smear Atheism according to you. Neither does religion gets smeared because of what people do.
I'd have to agree, yet again today! Is the world coming to an end?

The Jim Jones example is something of an anomaly, and I've seen it held up as an example of how people can do crazy things in the name of religion. Somewhat unfairly, but for sake of balance here, it is also somewhat interesting to consider the dynamic that had these people follow Jim Jones to Guyana. Can't explain all that away with just drugs after all.

What has always struck me about this story is what can and does compel people to follow so many religious leaders like they do, and/or religion. Considering that dynamic in light of this story is no anomaly and something to consider quite seriously if you ask me. Look at the same dynamic and results for the followers of Joseph Smith for example. There are differences, but plenty of parallels. Common influences that are all worthy of some consideration and objective scrutiny...

Old 06-25-2022, 08:56 AM

How the Christian right took over the judiciary and changed America

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-right-america

For anyone who would argue the influence of religion in America today...

"Good, bad or ugly?"

I leave it for you to decide as I sign off now. Got company visiting here who I need to continuing trying to entertain this weekend.

Until if/when I return, I'd say not good...

Old 06-25-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'd have to agree, yet again today! Is the world coming to an end?

The Jim Jones example is something of an anomaly, and I've seen it held up as an example of how people can do crazy things in the name of religion. Somewhat unfairly, but for sake of balance here, it is also somewhat interesting to consider the dynamic that had these people follow Jim Jones to Guyana. Can't explain all that away with just drugs after all.

What has always struck me about this story is what can and does compel people to follow so many religious leaders like they do, and/or religion. Considering that dynamic in light of this story is no anomaly and something to consider quite seriously if you ask me. Look at the same dynamic and results for the followers of Joseph Smith for example. There are differences, but plenty of parallels. Common influences that are all worthy of some consideration and objective scrutiny...
How do you explain the Dead Head groupies that follow them wherever they go? The Star Trek groupies?

Rajneesh followers? The last group were mostly white people, very few Indian Hindus. The way they occupied the city of Pune and changed it was resented by the locals.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:08 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:

You equate atheism with theism religion and cults All three as if theism religiin and cults are all the same.. Are there any atheist cults like there are religious cults? So no cults are good bad or ugly because theism is not?

When I was young I had a summer job at a anti cult organization ran by a very religious woman. However I do not think you would accept what I say about a cult but would accept the exact same thing from her because she was a theist.

And Jonestown was a murder suicide event where they practiced committing suicide. And was it not a cult where barbaric practices were caried out on members who were not drugged. It is not a simple case where the folowers were all drugged hence without choice.

So cults ars all completely harmlese or if they are harmful have nothing to do with religion? I do not know of any atheistic cult hosever if there are ones like Jonestown or Heaven's gate I would denounce them in the thread on atheism you started. Send me some links so that I can investigate and then maybe denounce.

And I do not believe that NAZI Germany or the Belgium Congo atrogoties (spelling) were the result of religion.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:08 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Jonestown, yes, but not for Heavens gate. To pretend religion had nothing to do with this is to allow this to happen again, one of the bad things about religion.

Quote:
Because (once again) there is nothing in atheism to make people do things. The closest you could argue is the number of religious persecuted in the Soviet union (small compared to the other groups killed), but that was because atheism was used as a group identifier, a problem with all groups.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
You equate atheism with theism religion and cults All three as if theism religiin and cults are all the same.. Are there any atheist cults like there are religious cults? So no cults are good bad or ugly because theism is not?

When I was young I had a summer job at a anti cult organization ran by a very religious woman. However I do not think you would accept what I say about a cult but would accept the exact same thing from her because she was a theist.

And Jonestown was a murder suicide event where they practiced committing suicide. And was it not a cult where barbaric practices were caried out on members who were not drugged. It is not a simple case where the folowers were all drugged hence without choice.

So cults ars all completely harmlese or if they are harmful have nothing to do with religion? I do not know of any atheistic cult hosever if there are ones like Jonestown or Heaven's gate I would denounce them in the thread on atheism you started. Send me some links so that I can investigate and then maybe denounce.

And I do not believe that NAZI Germany or the Belgium Congo atrogoties (spelling) were the result of religion.
I look at atheists as culties. My opinion, and i hold it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality