Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 12:00 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times

Advertisements

The Good:
The Things that people are describing in this thread.

The Bad:
Religion for the most part is not actually true.... and some of the teachings are counterproductive or unrealistic

The Ugly:
Some people who are religous behave badly. Hypocrisy is rampant.... and there are some religious who are just flat annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 01:42 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have been involved off and on with different church/religion run soup kitchens/food pantries over the years, and not one has included any requirement of church attendance, listening to a sermon, or even having to wait for a prayer over the food. Food is just given.

That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it.

I do know a story from a friend's mother, now deceased, who said that back during the Depression she and her sister were sent to the aunt and uncle's home to live, and they were told to go to the Salvation Army to get their dinner. Before they were fed, they had to sing Onward, Christian Soldiers, the SA's theme song, for the person in charge. That was creepy.
Sadly, I know a small church in our community that feeds the needy. They make them listen to a sermon before feeding them. Ugh.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:30 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Sadly, I know a small church in our community that feeds the needy. They make them listen to a sermon before feeding them. Ugh.
They give them some Spiritual food too...to go along with the edible food they are providing?
How sweet, and nice, and caring of them! So wonderful to hear this.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
https://publications.aap.org/pediatr...dFrom=fulltext

This journal article from the American Academy Of Pediatrics verified 140 fatalities due to conditions of neglect related to religious practices of parents such as faith healing or 'prayer healing'...which, obviously, did not work.
Very possible they did not want to add their child to this list.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medi...n-america.html

Old 06-16-2022, 04:04 PM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Which reminds me...all of us are aware of coverups by religious organizations.

Thanks for jogging my memory. Of course, we can go into that topic, if you'd like. We'll start with the Catholic scandals with priests and young boys, then we can move on to the 2022 nearly 300-page report detailing extensive sexual abuse within the Southern Baptist Convention, and...

Old 06-16-2022, 04:14 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:

Thanks for jogging my memory. Of course, we can go into that topic, if you'd like. We'll start with the Catholic scandals with priests and young boys, then we can move on to the 2022 nearly 300-page report detailing extensive sexual abuse within the Southern Baptist Convention, and...
when you can show that cover ups are in religion mostly and caused by religion mostly, maybe I will join the rampage.

Religions helps billions get threw their everyday by using any number of techniques. Billions. It has help many traumatized victims threw their ordeals also. Albeit by tricking them until they can trick themselves. Which, by the way, is used by people in the people business.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
its like "gun violence". They don't care about what is actually happening, they are out to get what they can get. Its been my experience that "Blamers" rarely look in the mirror first. Its much easy to blame them for how I was tricked. I mean really, I am so insightful it couldn't have been me or mine.

I blame the every day pew runners for knowing better and sitting back. But one look at American public high schools shows that religions is no where near stealing the future that administrators of the last 2-3 decades have done.

But by no god they are going to strike back. they can't get the actual perpetrator so they strike at anything near them.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Yes... some bad people in those very large Organizations...as would figure.
Kinda like the public school system...only it isn't mandatory to send your kid to Church.
The Baptists, overall, are known for their great leaders, that did so, so much good...like Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Yes... some bad people in those very large Organizations...as would figure.
Kinda like the public school system...only it isn't mandatory to send your kid to Church.
The Baptists, overall, are known for their great leaders, that did so, so much good...like Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King.
On the north east coast people don't want to say "Hey, what are the those believing schools doing that our are targeted population might want to take advantage of?"

Old 06-16-2022, 04:35 PM

Quote:
https://publications.aap.org/pediatr...dFrom=fulltext

This journal article from the American Academy Of Pediatrics verified 140 fatalities due to conditions of neglect related to religious practices of parents such as faith healing or 'prayer healing'...which, obviously, did not work.
Quote:
Quote:

And address the slam YOU initiated, that I responded to.
The modalities you noted negatively, caused 140 deaths...I responded that the modalities that they supposedly neglected to provide caused over 200,000 deaths.
Why would you bust on the protocols that killed 140...but not the ones that caused 200,000+?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality