Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2022, 09:31 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Why? Atheism apparently concerns you.
I am addressing the topic. What are you doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2022, 09:36 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Happiness arises from one’s own conviction, not by convincing others. The reason I am here is not to argue my point, but to seek those who are like minded and to share in their experience, their path, their discoveries, their practice. there is no place in my mind for atheists, atheism, or about convincing them of anything. i don’t know why they persist on following these discussions and wanting the rest of us to “KNOW” them. there is no there to know. it is a NO thing, a dead end.
You're not here to argue your point? Yet you argue here every day.

Old 06-26-2022, 10:14 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
So far I only see complete absence of logic in Athiesm, and when atheists speak it is worse. They live in la la land where they can see and hear stuff people don't say and also they can also get into their heads and KNOW what others think. No cure for this self inflicted malady.
So you keep asserting, yet you never even attempt to refute the logic (science, mathematics, or history). Maybe because you can not hear the arguments for the tin cans you constantly bash.

Old 06-26-2022, 10:29 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Belief in a Divinity is personal. It is based on faith, not logic, and it is meaningful only to the self. This faith is separate from religion, and is the only thing that is common to all religions. The rest are details. None of this needs to concern the Godless, the Faithless, the Atheist.
Which is fine if this spiritual journey is harmless. But the faith methodology allows people to attach any dangerous idea to their spiritual journey, and sometimes that effects everyone, including atheists.

And when that faith ignores what we know, others should be made aware of that failure.

Quote:
If someone is trying to sell his religion, he is free to do that in America where he has a right to practice it and to the expression of it. If Atheists don't like it they can move to a country that prohibits that freedom and see if they like that any better.
Must we explain this again? Most of us do not have a problem with freedom of religion, as that effects us as well. It is the fundamentalists who are making us do your policing for you. And if you have a problem with our problem (and you do), then you are implicitly supporting religious bigotry and terrorism by wanting us to be quiet about religious bigotry and terrorism.

Old 06-26-2022, 10:41 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So you keep asserting, yet you never even attempt to refute the logic (science, mathematics, or history). Maybe because you can not hear the arguments for the tin cans you constantly bash.
You have nothing that refutes Perception, Beliefs, and Faith.
That isn't the wheelhouse of Science/Math...and History validates it, it doesn't refute it.
Once you get hip to that...you will come to greater understanding.

Old 06-26-2022, 12:47 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Your reasoning, if that is what it is, is flawed.
I have a conviction about Divinity. I am happy with that conviction, it gives me joy, peace, happiness.
Two truths. No effort at all.
End of story.
Belief and doubt can exist, two sides of a coin. With conviction doubt ceases to exist.

Knowledge and Ignorance can exist. Ignorance ceases to exist when knowledge is acquired

Non-belief has no existence, it is a NON thing. Only nothing can come of it. A dead end. That is the bad and ugly of it.
for some, they can convince themselves very quickly.

I always go back the statement

"How can we tell who is who?"
who actually is showing understanding and who thinks their understanding is all we need.

The first person I doubt is myself CB. Most atheist understand self awareness first.

I can tell with atheist by how they speak to atheism. Because I am one I guess. Do they have shun facts, dehumanize people, or deploy special pleading to maintain a belief.

Can you tell me where, what I said, is illogical?

Old 06-26-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You have nothing that refutes Perception, Beliefs, and Faith.
That isn't the wheelhouse of Science/Math...and History validates it, it doesn't refute it.
Once you get hip to that...you will come to greater understanding.
yes he does, he uses special pleading. that's all one needs to show they have point.

special plead trounces any perception, any belief, and any faith when its carefully written.

In a way its is kind of sad we have no respect for each other.

they refuse to respect the notion that we are just here to sort through some beliefs. See what one match what we see better. And we even asked for their help.

We refuse to respect that is about just religion and their deity only. We do not respect just telling people they are wrong for years and years over thousands of posts without offering an alternative. Or list of alternatives.

how can that gap be closed? We are more than willing to talk.

Don't talk about it seems to be the best they gotz. I wonder why?

Old 06-26-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
for some, they can convince themselves very quickly.

I always go back the statement

"How can we tell who is who?"
who actually is showing understanding and who thinks their understanding is all we need.

The first person I doubt is myself CB. Most atheist understand self awareness first.

I can tell with atheist by how they speak to atheism. Because I am one I guess. Do they have shun facts, dehumanize people, or deploy special pleading to maintain a belief.

Can you tell me where, what I said, is illogical?

Quote:
I also think that people that feel just because you are happy with a round wheel doesn't make it reliable even though it made you happy and content in life.

Its not about me convincing you your belief is wrong. It about looking at the process that lead you to it.
AA,

I agree about the process.

My point, I think, is that I feel no need to convince anyone about why I believe what I believe, or convince them why they should too. It is true for me. But if the question is from someone I trust, who is in the same wavelength as me, I am happy to share it. I expect this forum, R&S, to be that kind of place. I realize I am mistaken in my expectation, it is what it is. It is in fact a battleground. But still there are a few conversations that take place that it makes it worthwhile.

Old 06-26-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
AA,

I agree about the process.

My point, I think, is that I feel no need to convince anyone about why I believe what I believe, or convince them why they should too. It is true for me. But if the question is from someone I trust, who is in the same wavelength as me, I am happy to share it. I expect this forum, R&S, to be that kind of place. I realize I am mistaken in my expectation, it is what it is. It is in fact a battleground. But still there are a few conversations that take place that it makes it worthwhile.
yes, unfornatatly it is a battle ground. And I apologize for my role in it. But the simple fact is sometimes we need to stand up to bullies. And things get messy. In the middle of the fight it hard to tell who is who.

That's why I always ask "How can we tell"?

What beliefs match what we see better.

so in the end, remember the word sect. Many of the frequent atheist posters are very religion looking. They are using the same flawed logic that theist do. The same special pleading. And like some theist, they are unwilling to deviate off of that path.

they use the same words, they fly the same flags, they read the same books. So how can we tell who is who before the killing starts?

Old 06-26-2022, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yes, unfornatatly it is a battle ground. And I apologize for my role in it. But the simple fact is sometimes we need to stand up to bullies. And things get messy. In the middle of the fight it hard to tell who is who.

That's why I always ask "How can we tell"?

What beliefs match what we see better.

so in the end, remember the word sect. Many of the frequent atheist posters are very religion looking. They are using the same flawed logic that theist do. The same special pleading. And like some theist, they are unwilling to deviate off of that path.

they use the same words, they fly the same flags, they read the same books. So how can we tell who is who before the killing starts?
I have no doubt Atheism is just another religion, with a diversity of visions, and as fundy as as any other religious fundyism. Not only that, it is Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality