Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2022, 09:31 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Here are some examples of a non-belief in what is absent. When I was little, I was told to believe these things. I don't anymore.

The Devil
The wailing lady
The half-man half-owl
people living in my walls (we lived in a wooden house and to make it really true somebody would go outside and bang on my bedroom walls)
critical thinking in my school
fairness in my school
Indeed, it is very hard to believe in anything for which no justifying evidence exists, though obviously for some it is hard to do the opposite. Gets us back to that difference involving objective logic and reason rather than emotions and the need and/or wanting of something more, beyond simple reality.

I don't anymore either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 09:40 AM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Religion has never needed guns or weapons to become agents of violence (though the history shows that taking up arms is nothing most religious people will do in the name of their religion). There is the good and bad with everything; religion, science, politics -- you name it. Only a fool would argue otherwise.
All one has to do is look at the mission system in California and it's buddy buddy relationship with the Spanish/Mexican army.

Or watch the film "The Mission", which is based on history.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:06 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
All one has to do is look at the mission system in California and it's buddy buddy relationship with the Spanish/Mexican army.

Or watch the film "The Mission", which is based on history.
I've done both, and most recently have begun to wonder how the California missions will have to change their story a bit to reconcile with the truth about all this that has emerged thanks to those who want the truth of these matters to be told. Fueled primarily by the Indian leaders who are tired of the whitewashing of this history. There has also been the removal of California mission bells up and down the way of El Camino Real. Some 600 miles that commemorates the route connecting the 21 Spanish missions, along with a number of sub-missions, four presidios, and three pueblos.

I'm hoping, and I am sure the missions will remain, but no doubt their story needs to be updated a bit to reflect the true story rather than what all us white Americans preferred to tell and believe for all this time...

“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.” -- Buddha

Old 06-29-2022, 10:07 AM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
I've done both, and most recently have begun to wonder how the California missions will have to change their story a bit to reconcile with the truth about all this that has emerged thanks to those who want the truth of these matters to be told. Fueled primarily by the Indian leaders who are tired of the whitewashing of this history. There has also been the removal of California mission bells up and down the way of El Camino Real. Some 600 miles that commemorates the route connecting the 21 Spanish missions, along with a number of sub-missions, four presidios, and three pueblos.

I'm hoping, and I am sure the missions will remain, but no doubt their story needs to be updated a bit to reflect the true story rather than what all us white Americans preferred to tell and believe for all this time...

“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.” -- Buddha
Agreed.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:30 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I see nothing to dispute or agree in your post. Is there a point to it?
Quote:
I don't care to debate atheism , a non-thing.

Theism is belief based on faith. Divinity exists because faith exists. No faith no divinity.

Atheism lacks faith, lacks God, lacks divinity. A non-belief in what is absent is serious mental disturbance.
These are just examples of how a non-belief is not necessarily connected to a serious mental disturbance.

Quote:
Here are some examples of a non-belief in what is absent. When I was little, I was told to believe these things. I don't anymore.

The Devil
The wailing lady
The half-man half-owl
people living in my walls (we lived in a wooden house and to make it really true somebody would go outside and bang on my bedroom walls)
fairness in my school

Old 06-29-2022, 10:45 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
I don't care to debate atheism , a non-thing.

Theism is belief based on faith. Divinity exists because faith exists. No faith no divinity.

Atheism lacks faith, lacks God, lacks divinity. A non-belief in what is absent is serious mental disturbance.
If a non belief in what is absent is serious mental disturbance then what is a belief in what is absent?

Atheism is a non belief if a single claim. The claim being that a God or goddess exists. I do not understand how either believing or not believing in something such as a God can be related to a serious mental disturbance.

You are basically saying that because CB2008 believed in X that anyone that does not believe in X has a mental problem. Sorry but that kind of thinking is the kind with a mental problem. Not the believing or not believing but the you must believe what I do.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:45 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Indeed, it is very hard to believe in anything for which no justifying evidence exists, though obviously for some it is hard to do the opposite. Gets us back to that difference involving objective logic and reason rather than emotions and the need and/or wanting of something more, beyond simple reality.

I don't anymore either...
The bold above ^^^^ does not comport with observations.
Go and check the evidence that 4 out of 5 people can perceive God.
Don't believe it? Ask them.
Only the utmost of bias, arrogance, and hubris would claim that 90% of the population of a educated and sophisticated world is either dishonest and/or delusional...and less than one out of ten people know what they don't.
Those that lack the standard and normal God perceptive abilities have my sympathy...and I pray for them. But they need to understand how the world works...based upon observations, of course.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:29 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Go and check the evidence that 4 out of 5 people can perceive God.
Don't believe it? Ask them.
Only the utmost of bias, arrogance, and hubris would claim that 90% of the population of a educated and sophisticated world is either dishonest and/or delusional...and less than one out of ten people know what they don't.
Perception of a god of some sort (relative to our vulnerable humanity, as a whole) is a feeling which is often associated with love/peace/compassion/whatever; as such, it certainly doesn’t mean there is a god or that four of five are perceiving the same god (or to the same degree).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Those that lack the standard and normal God perceptive abilities have my sympathy...and I pray for them.
Is it not more meaningful/measurable to perceive/feel love or compassion relative to humanity than perceive a god? Why is the latter (even) important - so much so, it requires prayer (in your mind). How does it make the world a better place in a measurable way i.e. it simply leaves you with the perception you/god will have control/knowledge over someone’s thoughts because of your ‘call to god’ (i.e. prayer) so to speak.

Old 06-29-2022, 03:19 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:

The Devil
The wailing lady
The half-man half-owl
fairness in my school
Faith in Divinity comes from one’s own conviction.

strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof:

I dont usually quote dictionary definition, but this works -spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
The very existence of Divinity arises from faith, from faith that divinity resides within, there is only One.
If such faith is absent there is no god/divinity. Since faith requires no proof, it always exists. There is no absence.
This list of things were what you were TOLD to believe. That never works for long. Our reason will always emerge and what we believe needs to be authentic to us, it needs to make sense. If not the intellect will reject it.
Atheists have no faith in Divinity, so Divinity cannot exist. You cannot disbelieve what does not exist. Atheism is non-belief of what does not exist. It is nothing.

Old 06-29-2022, 04:36 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Perception of a god of some sort (relative to our vulnerable humanity, as a whole) is a feeling which is often associated with love/peace/compassion/whatever; as such, it certainly doesn’t mean there is a god or that four of five are perceiving the same god (or to the same degree).

Is it not more meaningful/measurable to perceive/feel love or compassion relative to humanity than perceive a god? Why is the latter (even) important - so much so, it requires prayer (in your mind). How does it make the world a better place in a measurable way i.e. it simply leaves you with the perception you/god will have control/knowledge over someone’s thoughts because of your ‘call to god’ (i.e. prayer) so to speak.
I never said it "requires prayer"...show me where I ever said that's required.
I'm a Pantheist...the God I perceive (All That Is/ Reality) objectively exists...and is self-substantiating.
I pray...but that isn't how I perceive God.

Your reasoning is off. It would be like saying that since "Friendship" is a "feeling", which is often associated with association/camaraderie/relationship/whatever; as such, it certainly doesn’t mean there is a "Friend".
Like "Friendship", the perception of God is probative. Though...some lack that ability. Kinda like being blind...compared to the sighted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality