Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 02:44 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
This is always my struggle. I can not seem to let go and simply "believe." I always have to intellect the hell out of it.

I have always felt that got between me and "truly believing" anything.

Maybe esoterics is more like it. That makes me sad, though...because I wish I could be one of those people who can "just believe."
True knowledge has much higher power, than a belief of some sort. It has power of utter conviction. Also, unlike belief, one KNOWS, and knowledge is power.
I can’t really explain it, but you simply sit and chuckle, looking at all them religious skirmish. It’s like an old allegory about valley with mountain peaks surrounding it. You sit on a peak, looking down into a valley, where all the quarrel goes.
Main thing, you at least are seeking. In the time proper, when you ripen, it will be given onto you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am not sure there are many who “just believe”. Our innate reasoning would reject untill it makes sense. What that sense may be individual.
There’s call of reasoning and call of heart.
Call of reasoning is of the mind and it is very good at never ending reasoning. And, never ending doubt resulting, as reasons are plenty.
Call of the heart is direct acceptance of what is felt as right, as it is reviewed by the Conscious Self Rightness and Reason. That call, when accepted, needs no reasoning.

Old 06-28-2022, 03:32 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
I guess one question is, could it be an older religion is closer to the truth of what God really is?
Ancientness has nothing to do with validity. If anything, it's a red flag, because in general the ancients knew less than we did, not more.

Of course, it's certainly possible that there is some wisdom lost in the mists of time. We seem to like that romantic ideal, though, so I'm thinking we tend to be biased toward it. One can readily see what one wants to see.

Old 06-28-2022, 03:35 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
True knowledge has much higher power, than a belief of some sort. It has power of utter conviction. Also, unlike belief, one KNOWS, and knowledge is power.
I can’t really explain it, but you simply sit and chuckle, looking at all them religious skirmish. It’s like an old allegory about valley with mountain peaks surrounding it. You sit on a peak, looking down into a valley, where all the quarrel goes.
Main thing, you at least are seeking. In the time proper, when you ripen, it will be given onto you.
It's not about power. I don't need power, I crave more a connection.

Yep, still seeking! It's one thing I can't seem to stop, so I go with it.

Old 06-28-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Ancientness has nothing to do with validity. If anything, it's a red flag, because in general the ancients knew less than we did, not more.

Of course, it's certainly possible that there is some wisdom lost in the mists of time. We seem to like that romantic ideal, though, so I'm thinking we tend to be biased toward it. One can readily see what one wants to see.
Well, again...my feeling is, there's a definite difference between knowledge/intellect and belief.

But I'm still fascinated with this whole time period and their beliefs and while I'm not trying to romanticize it to a noble savage type of thing, I'd love to discuss with anyone who knows anything about PIE religion.

I think the reason I wonder about more ancient beliefs is that I find many religious stories to be like the game of telephone. "I like you" eventually becomes "it's raining on you" twelve people later...you know? Which is why "in the beginning" stuff always intrigues me and makes me take a second listen.

Old 06-28-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
There’s call of reasoning and call of heart.
Call of reasoning is of the mind and it is very good at never ending reasoning. And, never ending doubt resulting, as reasons are plenty.
Call of the heart is direct acceptance of what is felt as right, as it is reviewed by the Conscious Self Rightness and Reason. That call, when accepted, needs no reasoning.
See, call of the heart...that speaks to me.

Old 06-28-2022, 08:46 PM

Quote:
See, call of the heart...that speaks to me.

Well, then go follow your call of heart. Not forum opinions.

Old 06-28-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Well, then go follow your call of heart. Not forum opinions.
I'd like to have a discussion which is why I went to a forum about it. This is a Religion & Spirituality forum so here I am.

Old 06-28-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Well, again...my feeling is, there's a definite difference between knowledge/intellect and belief.

But I'm still fascinated with this whole time period and their beliefs and while I'm not trying to romanticize it to a noble savage type of thing, I'd love to discuss with anyone who knows anything about PIE religion.

I think the reason I wonder about more ancient beliefs is that I find many religious stories to be like the game of telephone. "I like you" eventually becomes "it's raining on you" twelve people later...you know? Which is why "in the beginning" stuff always intrigues me and makes me take a second listen.

That's because every original teaching eventually is hijacked for either profit, or power, or both.
Also, original teachings are working, pretty much, only in Mahatma's presence. With him gone, you are following his footprints in the sand. Now dead ideas. Living Mahatma oozes his energy, his mesmerizing influence at his adepts.

The fool in his ignorance, disdaining Mahamudra,
Knows nothing but struggle in the flood of samsara.
Have compassion for those who suffer constant anxiety!
Sick of unrelenting pain and desiring release,

adhere to a master,For when his blessing touches your heart, the mind is liberated

Old 06-28-2022, 09:01 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:

I tend to view it more like how a human life progresses. In the beginning, we have all sorts of ideas that we later discard (or in religious terms, "when I was a child, I thought as a child, I spoke as a child ... but when I became an adult, I put away childish things" -- I Corinthians 13). The difference here is that I rather doubt humanity, despite being around for a few hundred thousand years, is in anything like adulthood yet. Sometimes I think we are barely out of our diapers. But then all the more reason to suspect that ancient wisdom wouldn't represent some lost sophistication or something.

But I agree that doesn't make it less interesting to learn about, and I appreciate this topic. I just prefer to approach it with as few assumptions as possible. Which means, among other things, no free pass just because it's old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality