Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 02:24 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

Interesting that you have that perception. I assume you're aware that most people you would label "Christian fundamentalists" would contend that the US is becoming dominated by militant leftists and homosexuals.

The reality of course must be somewhere in the middle...
It needn't be. One or the other could me right or mostly right.

In any event Christo-fascim is winning the day. Partly because moderate Christians aren't really speaking out against it.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:28 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

In any event Christo-fascim is winning the day. Partly because moderate Christians aren't really speaking out against it.
How do you see this victory of "Christo-fascism" as playing out in your day to day life? In the things you observe in real life?

Old 06-29-2022, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
We had a 2-month trip to Turkey planned last year, Izmir on the coast. But the violence and fears of the constant calls to prayer made me rethink trying it again. And the OP is adding fuel to that fear.

Re the U.S....becoming more and more religious with the leaders oppressing the populace with their religious ideas. So....on the way to a theocracy. Maybe just like Turkey, before long.
They are feeling their oats. Bobert yesterday declared she's "tired of all this separation of church and state junk" that's "not in the constitution". The church, she says, should be directing the state. We only have all these onerous laws and regulation because the church submits to them.

I think she's saying the quiet part out loud. The unholy alliance of the religious right and the GOP are angling for an outright theocracy. It's the elephant in the womb!

Maybe The Handmaid's Tale will end up being prophetic, IDK. Under his eye!

Old 06-29-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
How do you see this victory of "Christo-fascism" as playing out in your day to day life? In the things you observe in real life?
I expect for example to see the carceral state expanded to further disproportionately oppress minorities, I expect women to die of ectopic pregnancies and septic wombs (no exceptions for abortion, or no meaningful ones in many of these states), I expect to see the welfare state dismantled, healthcare to become even more overpriced and ineffective, income inequality to grow, etc.

Many, perhaps most of these things don't theoretically / directly impact me personally as an upper middle class person with no debt and a lot of savings, if you ignore that as we become more and more of a failed state, various things will spiral out of control that are hard to predict. Civil unrest, climate dystopia, refugee crises, world war ... things could really pile up.

But there are direct effects on me also. Since they are openly talking about "getting rid of entitlement programs" I could lose some or all of my social security even though it's an insurance plan I've paid into for 50 years ... not some kind of free handout. I expect healthcare costs going up could also push me back into the workforce, if my wife or I aren't lucky health-wise.

I do not know what will happen to my autistic stepson. We are trying to get him on disability but it's not enough for him to live on even if we succeed. If everything goes perfect for us we can leave him the house and hope he manages to get by somehow. If not, he'll just be on the street when we die. And with the direction things are headed in, they will be very mean streets indeed.

Some will object that this is not the doing of fascistic religion in the US, but I see them deeply embedded in conservative politics in an unholy alliance that began back in the 1980s, and while there may be cases where the religious are simply useful fools to some politicians, I think they are driving this for the most part now. Christian fundamentalism has actively sought "worldly" power and influence and has sold its soul to obtain it. I do not think the GOP or the Christian fundamentalists could survive without each other anymore. In some ways they are hard to even tell apart.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I expect for example to see the carceral state expanded to further disproportionately oppress minorities, I expect women to die of ectopic pregnancies and septic wombs (no exceptions for abortion, or no meaningful ones in many of these states), I expect to see the welfare state dismantled, healthcare to become even more overpriced and ineffective, income inequality to grow, etc.

Many, perhaps most of these things don't theoretically / directly impact me personally as an upper middle class person with no debt and a lot of savings, if you ignore that as we become more and more of a failed state, various things will spiral out of control that are hard to predict. Civil unrest, climate dystopia, refugee crises, world war ... things could really pile up.

But there are direct effects on me also. Since they are openly talking about "getting rid of entitlement programs" I could lose some or all of my social security even though it's an insurance plan I've paid into for 50 years ... not some kind of free handout. I expect healthcare costs going up could also push me back into the workforce, if my wife or I aren't lucky health-wise.

I do not know what will happen to my autistic stepson. We are trying to get him on disability but it's not enough for him to live on even if we succeed. If everything goes perfect for us we can leave him the house and hope he manages to get by somehow. If not, he'll just be on the street when we die. And with the direction things are headed in, they will be very mean streets indeed.

Some will object that this is not the doing of fascistic religion in the US, but I see them deeply embedded in conservative politics in an unholy alliance that began back in the 1980s, and while there may be cases where the religious are simply useful fools to some politicians, I think they are driving this for the most part now. Christian fundamentalism has actively sought "worldly" power and influence and has sold its soul to obtain it. I do not think the GOP or the Christian fundamentalists could survive without each other anymore. In some ways they are hard to even tell apart.
Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Personally, I think that fear sells; and I think all sides know that.

I do agree with you that there are signs our Masonic Republic is devolving into a failed state; though what that will look like at any point in the future is impossible to predict. It's equally impossible to predict what will eventually grow up from its ashes.

Old 06-29-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Personally, I think that fear sells; and I think all sides know that.

I do agree with you that there are signs our Masonic Republic is devolving into a failed state; though what that will look like at any point in the future is impossible to predict. It's equally impossible to predict what will eventually grow up from its ashes.
On this we agree.

Old 06-29-2022, 05:55 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:

Interesting that you have that perception. I assume you're aware that most people you would label "Christian fundamentalists" would contend that the US is becoming dominated by militant leftists and homosexuals.

The reality of course must be somewhere in the middle...
And the Catholics are just waiting for them to all off one another so they can take over <evil laughter>.

Just kidding.

Old 06-29-2022, 05:57 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:

They do, but mostly among themselves. No one else really listens.

Old 06-29-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They do, but mostly among themselves. No one else really listens.
I think they are going to have to get out of their comfort zone and become a little bit activist and confrontational. If liberal Christians called out authoritarian Christians on their BS very publicly, that would be most effective and helpful.

But that just parallels what is wrong with liberal politics, it is too much decorum and too genteel to counter the bombast and vitriol on the other side. In part, I understand. It is hard for decent human beings to even get their brains around these dissemblers, much less engage effectively with them. But we are in deep doo-doo now, and the gloves MUST come off.

A bit of grim humor from the front: time zones are crazy ... it can be 7 pm in London when it's noon the next day in Melbourne and 1942 in the US.

Old 06-29-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And the Catholics are just waiting for them to all off one another so they can take over <evil laughter>.

Just kidding.
Shh don't tell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality