Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 09:53 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I just read a weird one. It's that time of year, so I've been perusing the FB 9/11 Support Group page. This guy posted that he just found out from from the WTC Health provider that ten other people with the same name as him were in the WTC on 9/11. He ended it with "God works in mysterious ways".

This one has me scratching my head. What is spiritually mysterious about people having the same name? (First name was James, last name a fairly common Irish surname.)
"God works in mysterious ways" is usually something a theists says to avoid attempting to answer questions they have no answers for, or can not possibly answer. This one is a strange use of the phrase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 11:53 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Oh my dog, that is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about in another thread. Where I live, that kind of talk is very normal and I sometimes think it's just a kneejerk reaction to not having anything else worthwhile to say. But that is a head scratcher because it's like he was saying that his god is responsible for ten deaths, but that's ok because 'it's all in his plan'.

Since I became an atheist, it's been hard to find the right words to say to someone who is grieving or whatever because I was so used to saying dumb **** like the guy you're talking about. It's a hard habit to break but I've figured out ways to stop doing it. I'm still working on 'oh my god', 'bless your heart' or even the gd word, it slips out sometimes.

If I'm going to be an atheist, I figure I should stop saying 'god' since I don't believe. You would think it would be a simple thing, like using 'dog' instead 'god' like I did above but I really have to think about what I'm saying. Dog knows I don't want to be called a hypocrite.
But they're NOT dead. It's a closed group for the 9/11 community where people vent or exchange information about health issues, etc., and he's saying that there are 11 people with his name in the insurance provider group that is handling health claims from the WTC. Which is interesting in and of itself, although not REALLY a huge stretch that people in this group that would include a lot of NYC firefighters, cops, EMTs, etc., would have the same Irish name, but has nothing to do with God's mysterious ways.

"There is no Dog", said the dyslexic atheist...

Old 08-16-2022, 11:38 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But they're NOT dead. It's a closed group for the 9/11 community where people vent or exchange information about health issues, etc., and he's saying that there are 11 people with his name in the insurance provider group that is handling health claims from the WTC. Which is interesting in and of itself, although not REALLY a huge stretch that people in this group that would include a lot of NYC firefighters, cops, EMTs, etc., would have the same Irish name, but has nothing to do with God's mysterious ways.

"There is no Dog", said the dyslexic atheist...
Oh ok I misunderstood sorry about that. Or I missed something. Either way I got it wrong. Speed reading doesn't work on C-D. It really is an odd thing to say but not any more odd than some of the stuff that is said here!

LOL that's a new one to me, it's cute and my dyslexia will remember that.

Old 12-19-2022, 07:06 AM

1,478 posts, read 478,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The First View Post

What's up with Fanatics that they can't give credit where due?
I would venture to say 'they refuse to acknowledge or praise anything that Man himself accomplishes'
  • They don't want 'a Man' to get the credit he deserves...!
Fanatics are so competitive in their Psychosis, they WANT TO TAKE AWAY credit and give it to their Imaginary God?

WHY IS THIS....What does this prove?

Thoughts / Comments ?
I was watching Seinfeld the other day and it reminded me of this thread. The one with the big salad.

Elaine was talking to George and his date and asked if they would bring her a big salad. George buys her a big salad and his date gives the big salad to Elaine, no charge and Elaine thanks her. And it drives George nuts, that he didn't get the credit for buying the big salad for Elaine.

Old 12-19-2022, 07:49 AM

1,478 posts, read 478,086 times
When the Angel of God blessed Jacob with a name from God, Jacob asked; what is your name? The Angel declined to tell him. And then Jacob said; I have seen God face to face and yet my life was sparred.

After Leah had given birth to three children, Jacob still did not express any love for her. Then at the birth of Judah, Leah named him Judah giving praise to God, knowing that God is her first love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality