Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2022, 09:45 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,936,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
How about DECADES of know sexual abuse of children by priests they ignored? Admitting it when you get caught isn’t the same thing as FIXING it the FIRST time it happens. The Church knew priests were sexually abusing children and all the Church did was move them to other parishes where they continued to abuse other kids.
I'm aware of what happened. What am I supposed to say? It's indefensible, and the guilty priests should have been publicly executed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
And probably few really deserved it. Good PR can overcome a multitude of sins.
You're certainly welcome to do your own research and come to your own conclusions.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:52 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
Attained……. according to fallible men who had a vested interest in promoting the Church.
Well said!

The churches will always be blind to their ways; promoting the bumbled and protecting the guilty within.

The only way to see a church clearly and objective - like God sees - is to observe completely outside of the church. Then there is clarity and reality.

The sins and stumblings of the churches will not be condoned by God, and cannot be justified or hidden by man. The only solution is exposing and condemning each violation.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:54 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'm aware of what happened. What am I supposed to say? It's indefensible, and the guilty priests should have been publicly executed.
I thought Catholics were against capital punishment. And against abortion in all cases, including rape. Am I wrong?

I thought that was at least a position of integrity, even if wrong.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:54 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
The entire Catholic religion is premised on the belief that every human is fallible and sinful and in need of salvation and redemption. So how can you accuse Catholicism of not admitting their fallibility and sins?
Quote:
You said (and I’ve quoted for reference) “So how can you accuse Catholicism of not admitting their fallibility and sins?”.

I can accuse Catholicism at the highest levels not doing either of those for DECADES. You just admitted as much. And don’t deflect that it’s just the priests who should be punished. It’s every single Catholic who knew what was happening and did nothing just to protect Church. They aided and abetted the priests and are equally guilty.

You don’t have to look any further for a reason many people dislike and distrust the Catholic Church and would never stand for a Catholic Monarchy.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:55 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
As well what the Catholic and Anglican churches did in the residential schools in Canada. Finally your church is sort of half way apologizing for the 200 years of physical and sexual abuse in trying to convert indigenous children to being indigenous in nae only. And the guilty cannot be publically executed. Death penalty is not legal and public executions were banned even earlier as cruel and inhumane.

Do you support cruel and inhumane punishment by a Catholic Monarch?

Old 07-08-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I thought Catholics were against capital punishment.
Many Catholics are opposed to capital punishment. I, however am not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
And against abortion in all cases, including rape. Am I wrong?
This is correct, but I haven't said anything about abortion in this thread - nor will I.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Do you support cruel and inhumane punishment by a Catholic Monarch?
I am personally opposed to "cruel and inhumane" punishment of any kind.

"Cruel and inhumane" is a subjective standard, and it can be argued that capital punishment is not inherently "cruel and inhumane".

Old 07-08-2022, 09:58 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,121 times
Quote:
The obvious difference between Christianity and any other religion is that you can visit the grave of any religious figure
Judaism teaches that we don't know exactly where Moses is buried so we can't visit his grave.
https://judaism.stackexchange.com/qu...ot-being-known

Old 07-08-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
You said (and I’ve quoted for reference) “So how can you accuse Catholicism of not admitting their fallibility and sins?”.

I can accuse Catholicism at the highest levels not doing either of those for DECADES. You just admitted as much. And don’t deflect that it’s just the priests who should be punished. It’s every single Catholic who knew what was happening and did nothing just to protect Church. They aided and abetted the priests and are equally guilty.

You don’t have to look any further for a reason many people dislike and distrust the Catholic Church and would never stand for a Catholic Monarchy.
"Catholicism" or "the Catholic Church" and "individual Catholics who behave badly" are not the same thing.

I agree that anyone who aided and abetted the evil priests should also be punished, though not necessarily with death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality