Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2022, 03:22 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,936,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
OK, but it shows that your assertion that another religion's belief in being "true" inevitably means that that religion views others as "false" is a false claim.
I think it's fair to point out that a significant aspect of the Jewish faith is that God deals differently with Jews than he does with non-Jews.

You yourself, a faithful Jew, have stated in this very thread that Jesus is dead. Any Christian would interpret that as an invalidation of Christianity - an acclamation that its central tenet and foundational belief is false. You don't have to use the words "false religion" to pronounce Christianity as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 03:29 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I think it's fair to point out that a significant aspect of the Jewish faith is that God deals differently with Jews than he does with non-Jews.
Sure, that's fair. So?
Quote:
You yourself, a faithful Jew, have stated in this very thread that Jesus is dead. Any Christian would interpret that as an invalidation of Christianity - an acclamation that its central tenet and foundational belief is false. You don't have to use the words "false religion" to pronounce Christianity as such.
I didn't use the phrase "false religion" as it relates to Christianity for a couple of reasons.

1. with no agree upon definition of "religion" I'm not sure the conversation would be fruitful
2. my understanding of history and an opinion about a section of the population or an entire faith need not be related
3. my opinion, informed by my religion does not give me a clear opinion on the matter so I wouldn't give an opinion.

Old 07-13-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I didn't use the phrase "false religion" as it relates to Christianity for a couple of reasons.
No, you didn't use those words. But when a non-Christian says that Jesus is dead, what do you think a Christian interprets that to mean? That the Christian religion is false because it is predicated on a false belief in an historical event that never actually happened.

A person can believe what they like about the Resurrection of Christ; but it's disingenuous to make a truth claim about it (i.e. "it didn't happen") and then say, "oh, but I'm not saying Christianity is false". Yes, actually you are.

Old 07-13-2022, 03:39 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Thanks for sharing. I wish all exchanges with believers could be like this -- respectful, considerate, relatively assumption-free, and seeking greater understanding.
Rosends is an awesome believer in God, mordant!

Old 07-13-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
No, you didn't use those words. But when a non-Christian says that Jesus is dead, what do you think a Christian interprets that to mean? That the Christian religion is false because it is predicated on a false belief of an historical event that never actually happened.

A person can believe what they like about the Resurrection of Christ; but it's disingenuous to make a truth claim about it (i.e. "it didn't happen") and then say, "oh, but I'm not saying Christianity is false". Yes, actually you are.
Back off. Your arrogant presumptions about your religion do NOT constitute the basis for Truth or Reality, period! I am Christian but I reject YOUR interpretation of Christ's "resurrection" as a physical body. He was "born again" as Spirit (as He tried to explain to Nicodemus!). Our primitive ancestors (and apparently you) were not ready for any spiritual understanding. They were too conditioned to physical existence (carnal-minded) and terrified of Spirits.

Old 07-13-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Back off. Your arrogant presumptions about your religion do NOT constitute the basis for Truth or Reality, period! I am Christian but I reject YOUR interpretation of Christ's "resurrection" as a physical body. He was "born again" as Spirit (as He tried to explain to Nicodemus!). Our primitive ancestors (and apparently you) were not ready for any spiritual understanding. They were too conditioned to physical existence (carnal-minded) and terrified of Spirits.
Back off of what? Another poster and I are having a civil and enlightening discussion. Your ravings have no relevance to the topic at hand or to this thread at all.

Old 07-13-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Back off of what? Another poster and I are having a civil and enlightening discussion. Your ravings have no relevance to the topic at hand or to this thread at all.
You are adamantly accusing rosends unjustly of what YOU alone are guilty of. That is NOT civil. So back off.

Old 07-13-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are adamantly accusing rosends unjustly of what YOU alone are guilty of. That is NOT civil. So back off.
Rosends has explained the Jewish perspective. Now I'm explaining to him the implications of his assertions from the perspective of a Christian.

If rosends believes me to be out of line, I'm sure he can tell me himself. Why have you assumed the role of his protector?

Old 07-13-2022, 04:10 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Some of you may be interested in this thread in the P&OC forum: https://www.city-data.com/forum/work...theocracy.html

Expect all the usual rude and hostile posts in P&OC, but it is a chance to see what is said about a theocracy in a context where people didn't even log in to read anything about religion.

Participate in that thread at your own risk.

Old 07-13-2022, 04:20 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,121 times
Quote:
No, you didn't use those words. But when a non-Christian says that Jesus is dead, what do you think a Christian interprets that to mean? That the Christian religion is false because it is predicated on a false belief in an historical event that never actually happened.

then we clearly are starting with different ideas of what a religion is and what false means because I haven't. What you hear is what you expect would make sense when the roles are reversed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality