Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 01:36 PM

9,124 posts, read 6,180,105 times

Advertisements

This pastor may have religion, but his spirituality is bought at Harry Winston apparently. I am always puzzled by people who make themselves poor to enrich a supposed spiritual leader.

Gunmen burst into a church as its pastor was live-streaming a service in Brooklyn on Sunday, making off with more than $1 million worth of jewelry from him and his wife, according to the New York Police Department.

The thieves targeted Bishop Lamor Whitehead, who heads the Leaders of Tomorrow International Churches and is known for flashy displays of wealth. Whitehead also describes New York Mayor Eric Adams, the former president of the Brooklyn borough, as his mentor.

The pastor also made headlines in May, when he mediated the surrender of NYC subway shooting suspect Andrew Abdullah. At the time, Whitehead said he was connected to the suspect's family through his church. But it was the pastor's ostentatious appearance — wearing a Fendi suit jacket as he stepped out of a Rolls-Royce at a legal aid office — that drew the most attention.

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/25/11134...itehead-robbed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 01:57 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
This pastor may have religion, but his spirituality is bought at Harry Winston apparently. I am always puzzled by people who make themselves poor to enrich a supposed spiritual leader.

Gunmen burst into a church as its pastor was live-streaming a service in Brooklyn on Sunday, making off with more than $1 million worth of jewelry from him and his wife, according to the New York Police Department.

The thieves targeted Bishop Lamor Whitehead, who heads the Leaders of Tomorrow International Churches and is known for flashy displays of wealth. Whitehead also describes New York Mayor Eric Adams, the former president of the Brooklyn borough, as his mentor.

The pastor also made headlines in May, when he mediated the surrender of NYC subway shooting suspect Andrew Abdullah. At the time, Whitehead said he was connected to the suspect's family through his church. But it was the pastor's ostentatious appearance — wearing a Fendi suit jacket as he stepped out of a Rolls-Royce at a legal aid office — that drew the most attention.

I don't necessarily think that ministers (etc.) should be poor, but it bothers me a bit when they are rich.

Old 07-25-2022, 02:30 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't necessarily think that ministers (etc.) should be poor, but it bothers me a bit when they are rich.
Indeed.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:00 AM

11,093 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Yawn. So what's the point here, a guy with a lot of money and using his freedom of choice to buy some expensive jewelry, only to get robbed? The robber - breaking the law - is somehow to be the hero? Must be a slow day for news, and good excuse for idleness and triviality.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:19 AM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Yawn. So what's the point here, a guy with a lot of money and using his freedom of choice to buy some expensive jewelry, only to get robbed? The robber - breaking the law - is somehow to be the hero? Must be a slow day for news, and good excuse for idleness and triviality.
Let's see...who was it that said, "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me"?

Ministers ought to set the example, not flaunt their wealth.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:59 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

If your "pastor" and his wife wear millions of dollars of jewelry, I'd suggesting finding another church.

Old 07-26-2022, 12:00 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's always interesting to see a thief get robbed.

Old 07-26-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It's always interesting to see a thief get robbed.
What a plot twist, like a dentist with lots of cavities LOL

Old 07-26-2022, 12:59 PM

19,995 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If your "pastor" and his wife wear millions of dollars of jewelry, I'd suggesting finding another church.
I did just that when church-shopping in the long ago. The pastor drove a Corvette and wore a tailored suit and his wife was blinged out. I doubt it was in the millions, but it was ostentatious enough to be disqualifying.

Old 07-26-2022, 02:05 PM

Here's my "pastor" - Living arrangement: homeless, wardrobe: robes, income: zero, importance: incalculable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality