Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2022, 11:09 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
This did bring up an interesting concept. Early Christains were called atheists. So since all they had before Christ were erroneous concepts of God they rejected those concepts (rightly so if you consider yourself a Christian). Perhaps the right concept of God has not yet been presented.
Other languages dont even have atheist in it, like Sanskrit. Nastika is the closest which means those who dont perform religious rites, not disbelieve what they first have to believe. Regardless of belief divinity exists, it is all that exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 11:25 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Did you find out how Buddhists think and how Buddhists act? If not ypu cannot think and act like a Buddhist, so you may not be a Buddhist according to the Buddhist monk.
I really don't a non-Buddhist and never-Buddhist telling a Buddhist how to be a Buddhist. I know you think you're all knowing, but you're not.

I could follow up by starting to tell you how to be a good Hindu. But that would be foolish.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Real Buddhists will never say that. They know bodies decay and die, but the spirit is eternal. He attained nirvana, only his body died. They pray to the spirit that moved him.
You may need to find that Monk in Thailand and find out how Buddhists think and how Buddhists act, before you can be a Buddhist.
Yes, real Buddhists, including ordained Theravada monks do say that.

And once again, as a non-Buddhist and never-Buddhist, we really don't need to have you tell us how to be Buddhist.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Then your knowledge may be limited.
When our atheist buddhist asked his Monk how he would know if he is a Buddhist the venerable monk replied “when you think like a Buddhist and act like a Buddhist, you are a Buddhist” like monks are wont to do. The next natural question would be for a wannbe Buddhist to ask, politely and with reverence, how would a Buddhist think, how would a Buddhist act, dear Momk” and listen respectfully to his response and follow it.
Our atheist Buddhist did not. He decided Monks should not be interrogated. Apparently he does not know the right way to seek knowledge, only the right way to interrogate as he does here every day. That is a bad sign right there that he may not be a real lBuddhist material.
I know you think you're all knowing, but you weren't there, and you weren't part of the conversation. And you're not a Buddhist and never were.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:31 AM

15,848 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Other languages dont even have atheist in it, like Sanskrit. Nastika is the closest which means those who dont perform religious rites, not disbelieve what they first have to believe. Regardless of belief divinity exists, it is all that exists.
So you're still going with that are ya?

Old 07-06-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
So you're still going with that are ya?
She doesn't even understand translation and the normal issues involved in it.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:36 AM

15,848 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Then your knowledge may be limited.
When our atheist buddhist asked his Monk how he would know if he is a Buddhist the venerable monk replied “when you think like a Buddhist and act like a Buddhist, you are a Buddhist” like monks are wont to do. The next natural question would be for a wannbe Buddhist to ask, politely and with reverence, how would a Buddhist think, how would a Buddhist act, dear Momk” and listen respectfully to his response and follow it.
Our atheist Buddhist did not. He decided Monks should not be interrogated. Apparently he does not know the right way to seek knowledge, only the right way to interrogate as he does here every day. That is a bad sign right there that he may not be a real lBuddhist material.
A man went to a Buddhist monastery and asked how long it would take to become enlightened. "10 years" was the reply. The man asked how long if he studied twice as hard. "20 years" was the reply.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I really don't a non-Buddhist and never-Buddhist telling a Buddhist how to be a Buddhist. I know you think you're all knowing, but you're not.

I could follow up by starting to tell you how to be a good Hindu. But that would be foolish.
But but but, it as you Who informed us all about your dialog with the Monk. You said when you asked how ypu would know if your Buddhist, he responded, and you never asked him how a Buddhist thinks and acts. Only then you can be a a Buddhist according to the monk, per ypur conversation.
I can go looking for that post but i am sure you remember it. No I dont know how a Buddhist thinks and acts. So i cannot tell you how to be a Buddhist, sorry. It looks like you missed an opportunity.
Go ahead be foolish, why stop now. Tell us how to be a good Hindu.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I know you think you're all knowing, but you weren't there, and you weren't part of the conversation. And you're not a Buddhist and never were.
You posted the conversation. Maybe you can go find it. Maybe Golden will oblige, he is very good at that. Me not so much.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
A man went to a Buddhist monastery and asked how long it would take to become enlightened. "10 years" was the reply. The man asked how long if he studied twice as hard. "20 years" was the reply.
LOL. That was genuinely funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality