Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2022, 09:13 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Have you asked for a Hinduism forum? Other forum members do not have the ability to create one. Directing your vitriol at other forum members because there is no forum specifically for Hinduism is not productive.

Where do you do your research? I sleep just fine at night, thank you.
Seeing the quotes you were responding to is very weird. I was not aware that I was staying up at night in terror let alone for the reason she gave. Weird, weird and more weird.

I do not think we general posters can start or prevent sub forums. That is far above our pay grades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 09:15 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes I am turning in for a very peaceful night's sleep myself. And chuckling at the hilarity of what people imagine goes on in between my ears or how much I froth at the mouth. I will admit only to a bit of indigestion from the infant I sacrificed and ate this evening ...
Obviously the infant was over riped. If course we are assuming that all readers have some sense of humour or humor

Old 07-09-2022, 10:15 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
The problem is that a number of so-called believers on this forum exhibit the very behavior I've been warning people about for the last 10 years. In fact, it has gotten 110% worse since I started posting here. It is no longer about having discussions about religion. Nope. The fact that every conversation now is merely defending our "right" to be here pretty much proves beyond a shadow that "Theists/Religious are harmful" (as you put it, not me). Like I said, I've been saying that for a long time. And now it's finally happening. This is one of those things I would've been happy to have been proven wrong about .... truly. But no. Some places are finally waking up to the dangers now that that religious fascism in this country has overturned Roe v. Wade. They're already looking for their next target - same sex marriage, most likely. By 2030, I suspect that interracial couples will be banned and kids, regardless of their own personal beliefs, will be forced to recite a state-sanctioned prayer led by a teacher - whose own personal beliefs will also be disregarded. Children will be forced to pray to and ultimately worship a State God. But who cares as long as you can pretend it's Yahweh or Jehovah or Allah, right? The behavior on this forum by the "believing" segment of the population has been anything but Christ-like. Mainly because it's not the words of Jesus they're really interested in, but the words of the mean and nasty Yahweh. It's no wonder why SOME people emphatically worship an authoritarian, fascistic, dictatorial god - the kind of god that didn't even let Adam or Eve pick the color of the grass. Nope. Everything is god's way. No vote. No appeals. No arguments. No democracy. "Do as I say, dammit! And I literally mean dammit because that's what will happen to you! Muahaha!" So those that follow such a god turn right around and inflict the same kind of anti-freedom, anti-democratic, and intolerant way of life onto the rest of the population. "You there, you atheist you! You can't post in OUR forum!" Maybe we'll see the 1950s rekindled, only instead of "white" and "colored" waterfountains, it will instead be "believers" and "non-believers" waterfountains. And lunch counters. And bathrooms. And elevators. And everything else. Oh I know, I'm exaggerating now. And you're probably right. But only a little. At any rate, back to this forum ...Every time I come here... and I do mean EVERY ... SINGLE ... TIME ... I'm not being hyperbolic in the least. Every time I come here, all I ever do is defend our "right" to be here. Any posts I write about religion or spirituality gets hand-waved away with some snide-ass little comment. There are no refutations. No rebutals. No discussions. I honestly cannot even remember the last time anyone has even bothered addressing the things I actually say in my posts. Because there are more snowflakes on this forum than there are in Russia during the winter. The fact that, here I am again, addressing this issue, only proves my point. We're not debating some point of religion or spirituality. Noooo. Because that doesn't happen anymore. Now it's all about certain fascists wanting the whole forum to themselves. That way once the atheists are out of the way, the Christians and the one or two Hindus on this forum can start going at it - because everyone knows that Christians think Hinduism is a fake religion with fake gods that don't exist. I'm sure some even think Hinduism is Satanic. Oh, but who cares about that.We atheists merely think that gods don't exist. Christians think your religion and your gods are flat-out evil. But apparently that's okay. That doesn't bother the Hindus. And i don't even attack Hinduism and yet the Hindus on this board defend the Christians against the posts I write which dismantle Christanity. Because those who think your religion is evil and Satanic are far better than those who don't say anything about Hinduism at all.Right? Isn't that how it all works?Once we're gone. Once the Hindus are driven out by the hating Christians - because that will happen next - the Christians will then fall upon each other, which each denomination getting into each other's faces ... or maybe they won't. No. Maybe they'll just quote each others' entire post and then write, "Another rant" as the only comment. Or just leave an "eye rolling" emoticon.So you have one sect of Christians in that corner talking about how great and awesome their god is while some other little sect of Christians does the same in some other corner - in a slightly different way. Some stupid disgreement on how to pray or what food to have on Christmas or whether women can wear make-up. It will just get dumber and dumber as time goes on. Yeah I know - you'll all say, "Nuh uh ... it won't happen like that!" Okay. Maybe you're right. It may not happen *exactly* the way I described it. But it WILL happen. I might poke my head in this miserable and unfriendly place and laugh my head off once all the atheists and non-believers are gone, once you start sharing your stink eye with each other and not just us ... and I'll laugh ... and laugh ... and laugh ...
post above = bold above

yup

Old 07-10-2022, 12:02 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What surfaces in many rants is the shocking desperation to sow dissension among the religions and the people.
What is shocking is your need to misrepresent. We do not want to sow dissension, that already exists among the more fundamental religious people. Shia / Sunni and Trinitarianism / non-Trinitarianism are two that immediately spring to mind.

Perhaps if you went back to discussing your religion instead of your constant attacks on atheists.

Quote:
I have been repeatedly told by atheists here how much Christians hate me. Moderator cut: Inappropriate remark removed. , all kinds of hate directed in all direction. It must be such a crushing disappointment when this hatred does not manifest.
Repeatedly? I find it strange I have not seen this if it is done repeatedly. Christians do disagree with you, naturally, yet you want to lay the blame at the door of atheists.

Quote:
One thing that keeps atheists up at night and in terror, is when the common threads that unite religions is drawn. That makes them go on overdrive and that is when how much Hindus are hated comes frothing.
Ignoring the bolded hyperbole, where are the common threads that unite religion? You mean when you appropriate other religious beliefs and pretend they are recognizing the divine while implying they are wrong, and only you know the Truth?

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-10-2022 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: Quoted post edited.

Old 07-10-2022, 07:20 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
What is shocking is your need to misrepresent. We do not want to sow dissension, that already exists among the more fundamental religious people. Shia / Sunni and Trinitarianism / non-Trinitarianism are two that immediately spring to mind.

Perhaps if you went back to discussing your religion instead of your constant attacks on atheists.

Repeatedly? I find it strange I have not seen this if it is done repeatedly. Christians do disagree with you, naturally, yet you want to lay the blame at the door of atheists.

Ignoring the bolded hyperbole, where are the common threads that unite religion? You mean when you appropriate other religious beliefs and pretend they are recognizing the divine while implying they are wrong, and only you know the Truth?
I really like this woman's perspective on that. She sees compassion as the common theme.

https://www.ted.com/talks/karen_arms...on?language=en

There is some valid criticism of this. One person was saying she was using a humanist worldview and making it fit. That's kinda humanists do tho.

Old 07-10-2022, 09:04 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Having read the comments posted in this thread since I signed off yesterday, I don't think I've ever been less inspired to comment again. Other than to note how all this sort of nonsense does tend to get really old and not worth commenting about. Especially when it comes to the same old hats drumming the same old ridiculous drums about atheism. Just too dense for words.

Old 07-10-2022, 09:22 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Default Buddhism is not Atheism

Some of my favorite posters are exhibiting frustration with the forum over the constant bickering between posters and lack of substantive discussion of the actual issues and principles. For example, I see very little discussion of the actual topic here in this thread. I was a Buddhist AND an atheist because there is no God in Buddhism. Gautama did not trust the existence of ANY permanent entity and was NOT dogmatic. You would find it hard to discern any difference between his Buddhism and atheism despite what any of his myriad followers do (and they are all over the map as most religions are).

Old 07-10-2022, 09:29 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Some of my favorite posters are exhibiting frustration with the forum over the constant bickering between posters and lack of substantive discussion of the actual issues and principles. For example, I see very little discussion of the actual topic here in this thread. I was a Buddhist AND an atheist because there is no God in Buddhism. Gautama did not trust the existence of ANY permanent entity and was NOT dogmatic. You would find it hard to discern any difference between his Buddhism and atheism despite what any of his myriad followers do (and they are all over the map as most religions are
bold above, the differences are glaring:

Buddhism recognizes the sacred and holy, reincarnation, enlightenment, prayer, and offers a practical guide to spiritual liberation, for use and application in daily life.

Atheism does not. Atheism offers none of those.

Old 07-10-2022, 09:31 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Having read the comments posted in this thread since I signed off yesterday, I don't think I've ever been less inspired to comment again. Other than to note how all this sort of nonsense does tend to get really old and not worth commenting about. Especially when it comes to the same old hats drumming the same old ridiculous drums about atheism. Just too dense for words.
Don't give up now. As I explained to you before:
If you all try hard enough...you will have the Anti-Religion/Theism echo-chamber you all obviously desire.
On the forum titled Religion and Spirituality.
Meanwhile...the whole world will be 4+ out of 5 Theism/Religion embracing...and growing.

Old 07-10-2022, 09:42 AM

50,810 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

And again, I don't think I ever said that christians "hate" her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality