Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 09:43 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
Definitions were so much simpler in the '70s. These days the fancy latte-drinkers (jk) redefine what water means every five minutes, and if you disagree, it's "you do understand (so let me lecture you more)." I call it lecturing into submission.
I've never understood what it is with some people and lattes, until my wife and I were talking to her parents about coffee, and I came to understand what they just don't understand about coffee as well...

For my wife and I, the coffee they serve, at Denny's for example, is just horrible. It tastes like watered down bitter coffee water for lack of a better term. A latte on the other hand, especially at Starbucks, is very good tasting espresso coffee with steamed milk. The taste is like "night and day," but for my wife's parents who never drink espresso coffee, they don't know the difference. All they know is that lattes cost more than a cup of coffee at Denny's, and that same crappy coffee they make at home they doctor with sweetened coffee sweetener. That French Vanilla type sweetener, for example, is also horrible so that when all is said and done, we're actually talking about two different drinks entirely.

I always remember my immigrant parents always complaining you couldn't find a good cup of coffee in America, and it was true then. Go to any cafe in Europe, and the coffee is delicious. Back then no cafes like that could not be found in America. Now they are on every corner, and finally at least some of us Americans can enjoy a REAL cup of coffee. Cappuccinos too (less milk). Judging from the business Starbucks always seems to be doing, there are a lot of us who appreciate a real cup of coffee. Then again a lot of the people at Starbucks are buying the sugar drinks too, so that's another mixed bag of different tastes.

In any case, I think too many Americans always want to be insulting about latte drinkers as if it's some sort of high brow thing. Not so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 10:20 AM

412 posts, read 137,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've never understood what it is with some people and lattes, until my wife and I were talking to her parents about coffee, and I came to understand what they just don't understand about coffee as well...

For my wife and I, the coffee they serve, at Denny's for example, is just horrible. It tastes like watered down bitter coffee water for lack of a better term. A latte on the other hand, especially at Starbucks, is very good tasting espresso coffee with steamed milk. The taste is like "night and day," but for my wife's parents who never drink espresso coffee, they don't know the difference. All they know is that lattes cost more than a cup of coffee at Denny's, and that same crappy coffee they make at home they doctor with sweetened coffee sweetener. That French Vanilla type sweetener, for example, is also horrible so that when all is said and done, we're actually talking about two different drinks entirely.

I always remember my immigrant parents always complaining you couldn't find a good cup of coffee in America, and it was true then. Go to any cafe in Europe, and the coffee is delicious. Back then no cafes like that could not be found in America. Now they are on every corner, and finally at least some of us Americans can enjoy a REAL cup of coffee. Cappuccinos too (less milk). Judging from the business Starbucks always seems to be doing, there are a lot of us who appreciate a real cup of coffee. Then again a lot of the people at Starbucks are buying the sugar drinks too, so that's another mixed bag of different tastes.

In any case, I think too many Americans always want to be insulting about latte drinkers as if it's some sort of high brow thing. Not so!
2 out of 4 of my direct descendants couldn't agree with you more! May your Starbucks gift cards continue to be the gift that fits any occasion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality