Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 07:39 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Do crabs "feel it" when their limbs are ripped off by predators? They seem to just go on, and are not writhing around in pain, or screaming. I wonder about the "lower" animals...
Crabs do not like being cooked alive. They feel the heat. Apparently octopodes also probably feel pain.

https://www.lse.ac.uk/News/Latest-ne...are-protection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 09:13 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
My dog's separation anxiety says they do.
No doubt. Our dog's separation anxiety was severe and extremely expressive about a lot of other emotions too. Talked up a storm. Otherwise, it always seems to me that dogs "live in the now." Our daughter's dog obviously loves our daughter, but it's interesting to observe when we baby sit our daughter's dog for as long as two weeks, there are no noticeable separation problems. She just settles in with us and seems happy enough. Then comes out of her skin when she sees our daughter again. Quite the kick.

Want to watch a nice feel-good dog movie? There's "Greyfriars Bobby." Greyfriars Bobby was a Skye Terrier who became known in 19th-century Edinburgh for spending 14 years guarding the grave of his owner until he died on 14 January 1872. The story continues to be well known in Scotland, through several books and films.

We saw the statue of Bobby and that cemetery when we were in Edinburgh about two years ago. Very cool story.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:21 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Based upon avaiable evidence within my household, one would be reasonable in believing my 4 year old dog is a deity.
And I am it's humble and obedient servant.

Old 07-27-2022, 03:36 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Based upon avaiable evidence within my household, one would be reasonable in believing my 4 year old dog is a deity.
As it should be.

Old 07-27-2022, 03:43 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,163,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
My wife became a vegetarian many decades ago as well. After seeing a film in a college class that highlighted the cruelty to animals that is part of bringing meat to market for human consumption. Not a pretty picture by any means, and I don't know who can think these animals are not sentient. Still I'm not a vegetarian, though I eat far less meat than once upon a time. I'm always hoping the meat industry will "clean up it's act," and/or whether I have an occasional In-N-Out burger is not going to change any of that any.

Instead, I am all for the government and/or industry policies that are what really makes the difference when it comes to such things, and I always vote for those people who seem inclined to push us in those better more "humane" directions. Otherwise, our individual efforts seem like nothing more than token and ineffectual.

Why do people still buy plastic bottles of water given the plastics problem, for example? San Francisco now the first city to ban the sale of the stuff. It's those kinds of broader-based policies that make the difference!
Right absolutely.
I think we've discussed this before somewhere.
Anyone that has ever owned a dog knows exactly how sentient animals are.
Though my dog can't talk, he 100% understands quite a bit of vocabulary. The names of individual family members for example. Or Dinner, treat or walk. Even when you try to say things surreptitiously like spelling out the word w-a-l-k.
Or if you happen to mention the phase 'around the block' in a sentence. Or that look you get when they are looking for clues in your speech. Or even slipping on your shoes.
The only thing they are missing is being able to say the words themselves.
We all have an app on our phones that gives a particular beep when a family member is approaching home. Recently we took our dog on holiday with us but two of our kids stayed at home as they were working. We still got the beep on our phones even though we were 150 miles away and the dog would get excited thinking someone was going to come to the door of the house we were staying in.

Edit. Sorry I wrote this before reading the other posts. I see others have also concluded similar things about dogs.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:41 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Right absolutely.
Though my dog can't talk, he 100% understands quite a bit of vocabulary. The names of individual family members for example. Or Dinner, treat or walk. Even when you try to say things surreptitiously like spelling out the word w-a-l-k.
Or if you happen to mention the phase 'around the block' in a sentence. Or that look you get when they are looking for clues in your speech. Or even slipping on your shoes.
We all have an app on our phones that gives a particular beep when a family member is approaching home. Recently we took our dog on holiday with us but two of our kids stayed at home as they were working. We still got the beep on our phones even though we were 150 miles away and the dog would get excited thinking someone was going to come to the door of the house we were staying in.

Edit. Sorry I wrote this before reading the other posts. I see others have also concluded similar things about dogs.
I used to tell my one dog that we would go for a run after lunch. The moment I took my last bit she was begging to go for the run. Bare in mind there might of been 15 minutes or two hours between me telling her and me finishing lunch. Neirher of my dogs ever semed capable of understanding the word No though.

Old 07-28-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Reminds me of the Seinfeld skit about what an alien would think if looking down from outer space and observing one species picking up the poop of another species. Which would the alien conclude was the master in charge?

Old 07-28-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Right absolutely.

Seems we might be talking about two different things here...

One thing is all the many ways dogs demonstrate their intelligence and understanding, but robots can do all that and more. Understand speech for example. All we need do is talk into our phone or remote control and we see how AI is working all around us already, but this is not sentience.

My remote doesn't care what I do or when, but our dog sure did, and it's that emotion that makes our pets, animals, sentient beings.

Our dog was reading at 3rd grade level just before she died I might add...

Old 07-28-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I used to tell my one dog that we would go for a run after lunch. The moment I took my last bit she was begging to go for the run. Bare in mind there might of been 15 minutes or two hours between me telling her and me finishing lunch. Neirher of my dogs ever semed capable of understanding the word No though.
Our dog, again a beautiful golden husky/wolf mix (according to the vet when we rescued her from the pound), was apparently already well trained before we found her at the pound. Had obviously just had a litter, about two years old, but other than this we never knew much about her past before she became ours.

From the day we brought her home she was the best behaved, responsive, intelligent dog I've ever known. So many commands she would respond to without hesitation. So expressive in so many ways, and such an escape artist. We soon learned her separation anxiety was so severe that if we left her at home, she would inevitably find a way to escape the property. I don't know how many times I secured every spot I could imagine she might use to escape again. She also had an amazing ability to squeeze through areas that it would seem a dog half her size could not fit through.

She died at 16 years old, about 14 years after we found her. Still miss her as she often pops up in pictures on our computer, phone or Aura frame. Cleo was her name...

Old 07-28-2022, 12:11 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Our dog was initially bred as an all purpose working dog. We found out what breed she is, after we fostered, then adopted.

She is a black mouth cur, and needs a job. She WANTS a job.

So, every day, at least twice a day, we take extended walks where I allow her to think she's doing something for me.

She is in her element, in her glory, when getting approval from me when she thinks I'm being well served.

She is my metaphor of loving and selfless service.
She is a gift.

Could a robot do the same?

Maybe.

But my 4 legged beast, sincerely wants to work for me.
It's truely relational. Reciprocal.

Last edited by Oakback; 07-28-2022 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality