Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2022, 09:46 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,696,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Go ahead and pray, doesn't affect me. You're wasting your time. It's better spent arguing with the superior, right and true atheists. Get that? It's called sarcasm. Now you can say that I said it. Don't forget to save this post. You might need it as pretend ammunition in the future. That cracks me up when you quote other's posts as some kind of evidence that we're really evil and satan worshipers. You're ridiculous. And you are the one making yourself look that way.

Oh and btw, when I came to CD I was a Christian. I was a "Fundamentalist" who WAS proselytizing left and right and arguing like crazy to make Christianity look completely sane. It didn't work because it's not sane. Can't sell woo when you have no proof. Snake oil anyone?

If you want to 'crucify' me for telling the truth, then go ahead. Actually, I have been encouraging those who want to remain in their Christianity belief but are wavering and unhappy to look into Universalism. It's a kinder, much gentler version of Christianity. I don't want anyone to leave their religion. But if they are miserable and unhappy like you are then it's time to face the truth. There is no knowledge of a deity or special "perception" that only you and your mystic claim to have.

You are constantly repeating yourself with "4 out of 5" dentists recommend blah blah blah. There is not some kind of special "perception" that is total bs. You have convinced yourself that this is real and someone else on this board has imposed their beliefs in a way that you have bought it, hook, line and sinker. Like I said, you're nothing but a parrot and repeater. No original ideas or thoughts. When you learn how to think for yourself then maybe I'll take you seriously.
Please DO join some of the rest of us who are doing our best not to draw anymore attention to the ongoing repetition, because it just seems to generate more repetition. Some of us want a little better than that from this forum.

To that end, back to the topic and/or title of this thread. Does anyone know why it's "Ask an atheist...?" Rather than "Ask an atheist."

Is this thread actually about whether an atheist should be asked something in the first place? Is that the question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 09:50 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
This is the ONE thing you don't want to be wrong about and spend all eternity regretting it. Jesus is the Savior of the world, the Messiah as was promised all through the Old Testament. Please don't refuse to be forgiven. Jesus paid for your sins and mine, but the forgiveness isn't yours until you receive Him as your Lord and Savior. So I guess the question I would ask an atheist is why would you refuse the love of the One Who gave His life for you?
Because we don't believe the old fables.

Gee, that was hard.

Old 08-31-2022, 09:50 AM

16,751 posts, read 4,966,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Simply to waste time it would seem.
When our narcissist gets that desperate for a response, do not feed it. They hate that.

Old 08-31-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You can call put someone’s belief all you want, but they are still entitled to their belief. So you may want to consider how best you want to waste your time in the free society you are fortunate enough to live in.
What keeps you returning to this forum while you disdain others for doing the same? You take your 10 Assertions and Cement theory and other threads you have started pretty seriously, and almost religiously returning to your enumeration of the Torah every single day. What gives?
Say what??? Odd as usual...

Who in this forum has ever suggested anyone is not entitled to their belief? Please...

Of course I will consider how I want to spend my time or even waste it like here in this forum, but what does this have to do with how fortunate I feel to live were I do? I feel very fortunate about that by the way. Again WTF?

I don't "disdain others for doing the same" either. I just point out where some are inclined to waste more time and that of others is all.

I've explained my return to the 613 commandments many times before. In that thread and others. I'll not have you waste my time by addressing that question again, and I'm in no way understanding how raising that question yet again has anything to do with this thread or the comments leading up to this one.

Just too daffy for words! My opinion and yes, I'm entitled to have it. A well justified opinion too I must add!

Last edited by LearnMe; 08-31-2022 at 10:15 AM..

Old 08-31-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Doesn't offend me at all...but it does tell me where people's mind dwells, and what they are probably into to think along those lines.
I've noticed how you can tell a lot from what others might consider rather innocent and inconsequential. Then again we all know how this sort of tactic works as well. We all well know how you probably think along these lines anyway. Nice that a word like "butthurt" doesn't offend you, but is it not a little offensive to suggest what you do about where other people's "mind dwells" simply from the use of such a word? Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill!

Old 08-31-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your story LearnMe. It's interesting. Sort of like mine except the studious part. I have admitted I am not as well-versed as most of the atheists here but that doesn't make one any less of an atheist, as one person suggested. I have learned a lot from the atheists here though and hearing other people's stories, which just hasn't really happened in this thread.

Your post is a very good example of why I started the thread in the first place.
I've never been one to argue that one needs to be educated to be an atheist...

I've also many times warned people "not to let school get in the way of your education."

Old 08-31-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I haven't seen LearnMe, or any other atheist here, say that people shouldn't be entitled to their beliefs.
Thanks, but as we see here yet again, one is entitled to make any claim in this forum regardless whether true or false. Just like everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Old 08-31-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
This is the ONE thing you don't want to be wrong about and spend all eternity regretting it. Jesus is the Savior of the world, the Messiah as was promised all through the Old Testament. Please don't refuse to be forgiven. Jesus paid for your sins and mine, but the forgiveness isn't yours until you receive Him as your Lord and Savior. So I guess the question I would ask an atheist is why would you refuse the love of the One Who gave His life for you?
Perhaps the best question of an atheist in this thread yet...

Reminds me of a good religious friend of mine who asked me years ago why I don't believe in God if nothing else to have something of an insurance policy just in case one exists. He happened to be an insurance agent at the time, so maybe that is in part why he asked me this question.

I have often wondered how I should go about believing in something that I can't find any good reason to believe in. If I use the sort of reason you recommend, I'd be believing in something to appease a feeling or fear "of spending all eternity regretting" my being an atheist. I just can't do that any more than I can get myself to believe anything I can't justify with facts, evidence and proof that better justify a belief. That and/or my own personal experiences and observations. I purposely don't let my emotions get the better of me along those lines, because being emotional doesn't make for good judgement. Any good financial advisor will tell you the same thing.

I also don't believe everything anyone tells me or anything just "because it is written." This too has proven quite the folly for billions of people over the course of human history. Folly up to including an untimely death for too many "followers" who seemed willing to swallow just about anything their leaders fed them without much in the way of appropriate scrutiny. Some witches felt that heat once upon a time. Just one example of far too many to ignore.

Then too, I really don't feel I have anything to fear or worry about, because if there IS a god, why should I believe it would treat me any differently than anyone else? I truly believe without reservation that whatever will happen to me at my time of death and after will be exactly the same as for everyone else. I assume that will be a simple and uneventful peace for all of us, but if there should be a god instead, I enjoy thinking it will be a god that could care less what we humans conjured up in our minds while enjoying our time on the planet.

"No heaven or hell below us..."

Old 08-31-2022, 10:14 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,005,856 times
Quote:
Let's face it LearnMe, we're all gluttons for punishment. I find that it's an exercise in honing my typing and wise-cracking skills. Some of these posters actually enjoy arguing, I like defending my position and debate. Not much debate going on here. Just defending oneself from the attackers. No, I don't have to be here and I wasn't for a while but I came back to just more of the same dissonance and disagreement. I've been honest to a fault, doesn't matter. When you've got people trolling around looking to cause trouble, then that believer is making their brand of religion look very bad. These are not good examples of any religion.
I can understand how you feel Northsouth. From what you have said you have argued from both sides of the belief line - both belief and “simply non-belief”. That is not a simple line to crossover, but may be it is, I wouldn’t know. It must a be tough thing indeed to be arguing from both sides. Do you ever forget which side you are on at any given moment?
And you have said much about the support from the internet atheists and how they helped you to cross over. Would you say say that is a conversion? Is conversion possible without proselytizing hard?

Old 08-31-2022, 10:15 AM

16,751 posts, read 4,966,602 times
Quote:
Because we have no evidence Jesus gave his life for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality