Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2023, 04:30 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I read something about a Catholic woman figuring it out because her religion had Anne Frank in the same place as Hitler. It kind of does have to make a person think if all those Jews went to hell with the people that went to hell for murdering them.
I wasn't aware (or maybe had forgotten) that Anne Frank was Jewish, but yes, technically, not submitting to the Christian god-concept would mean, perhaps at least to a "trad" Catholic, that she would burn right along with Hitler.

Ironically, the fundagelicals would also claim that Hitler could have gone to heaven if he genuinely repented of his many sins just before blowing his brains out.

Simplistic concepts of sin and forgiveness run into trouble when we instinctively know that Hitler was far more "evil" than Anne Frank -- yet both somehow deserve to burn forever just the same.

BTW, though not published in most editions of Anne Frank's Diary, she did write about some sexual fantasies or ideas typical of naive teens, and some people have judged her as wicked because she had little to do but write down her thoughts -- all of them -- while hiding in an attic. It would be funny if it weren't so sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2023, 04:49 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I wasn't aware (or maybe had forgotten) that Anne Frank was Jewish, but yes, technically, not submitting to the Christian god-concept would mean, perhaps at least to a "trad" Catholic, that she would burn right along with Hitler.

Ironically, the fundagelicals would also claim that Hitler could have gone to heaven if he genuinely repented of his many sins just before blowing his brains out.

Simplistic concepts of sin and forgiveness run into trouble when we instinctively know that Hitler was far more "evil" than Anne Frank -- yet both somehow deserve to burn forever just the same.

BTW, though not published in most editions of Anne Frank's Diary, she did write about some sexual fantasies or ideas typical of naive teens, and some people have judged her as wicked because she had little to do but write down her thoughts -- all of them -- while hiding in an attic. It would be funny if it weren't so sad.
A little gobsmacked to read the bolded, mordant. Their Jewishness was the entire reason the Frank family were being hidden behind a false wall for two years and were sent to a concentration camp when they were betrayed.

I read the original diary with the sexual references when I was a teenager. She was a 12-year-old girl with 12-year-old thoughts. I guess they didn't start editing those things out until later. I don't recall that it damaged me in any way.

Old 04-08-2023, 04:52 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A little gobsmacked to read the bolded, mordant. Their Jewishness was the entire reason the Frank family were being hidden behind a false wall for two years and were sent to a concentration camp when they were betrayed.
Yes I suppose I have forgotten way more of that than I remember; it's been decades since I read the diary. People were of course persecuted for "sympathizing with" Jews and sometimes for trumped-up reasons of convenience, too. I just no longer remembered the backstory.

Old 04-08-2023, 04:55 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,875,918 times
This is what I mean by being a cafeteria Christian, Protestant or Catholic. I DO NOT adhere to the idea that a person goes to hell because they are not a Christian. There are too many True Believers in this world that eat up that garbage. How do I know it's garbage? My moral gut tells me.

If they only knew how vast, how wide, how deep, how miraculous the Universe truly is, they'd really quake in their boots at the sight - pun intended.

Old 04-08-2023, 05:01 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,996,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I read the original diary with the sexual references when I was a teenager. She was a 12-year-old girl with 12-year-old thoughts. I guess they didn't start editing those things out until later. I don't recall that it damaged me in any way.
Yeah I read the book when I was young, and once again when I was older too , and also saw a live theatre play on it.
It’s an interesting and tragic story, as it was also very close to the liberation of the camps, when they were sent there. (both Anne and her sister perished there)
Don’t recall the sexual fantasies, they probably had already been edited out.
If God didn’t want us to have sexual drive or fantasies, then we’d all have been born as neutered.

Old 04-08-2023, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
This is what I mean by being a cafeteria Christian, Protestant or Catholic. I DO NOT adhere to the idea that a person goes to hell because they are not a Christian. There are too many True Believers in this world that eat up that garbage. How do I know it's garbage? My moral gut tells me.

If they only knew how vast, how wide, how deep, how miraculous the Universe truly is, they'd really quake in their boots at the sight - pun intended.
I agree.
Plus there are many countries where it is impossible or improbable to be converted to Christianity anyway.
There are theocratic countries in the Muslim world, and even many South Asian countries (Hindu or Buddhist) ban attempted conversions.
Christian Missionaries simply cannot go these places to try to “save†these people.
We also all saw what happened to Christian Missionary man John Chau, when he attempted to land on North Sentinel Island as well.

Last edited by Derek41; 04-08-2023 at 05:16 PM..

Old 04-08-2023, 05:15 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I agree.
Plus there are many countries where it is impossible or improbable to be converted to Christianity anyway.
There are theocratic countries in the Muslim world, and even many South Asian countries (Hindu or Buddhist) ban attempted conversions.
I dont know about other countries, India does not ban conversion. Not yet. However there is resistance to it. There is no conversions in Hinduism because it believes all paths lead to the same divinity, and that people should practice the religion they are born into and all religions are the right religion. It is still a secular country and all religions have freedom to practice.

Old 04-08-2023, 05:15 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post

Oohhh the dreaded "watered-down Christain". Now when I hear someone use that phrase I immediately know they score high on narcissism.

Old 04-08-2023, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I dont know about other countries, India does not ban conversion. Not yet. However there is resistance to it. There is no conversions in Hinduism because it believes all paths lead to the same divinity, and that people should practice the religion they are born into and all religions are the right religion. It is still a secular country and all religions have freedom to practice.
Covert conversion may be allowed.
But in most Indian jurisdictions, it is illegal for proselytism or evangelism by Christians, with the obvious intent at conversion to take place.
Not saying that’s a good or a bad thing, as all sovereign countries have their own laws that must be respected , and India is a secular country as you have already pointed out.

Old 04-08-2023, 06:10 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Oohhh the dreaded "watered-down Christain". Now when I hear someone use that phrase I immediately know they score high on narcissism.
It is interesting because any Christian who takes the stance that Pathrunner takes has to process all the passages in the Bible that say if you don't believe in certain specific things about Jesus...

You are destined to be a Crispy Critter in the afterlife...

But a moral gut able to be able override Biblical moral contradictions is better than nothing.

Nothing is any more annoying than Christians who will quote these verses over and over but when posed with the question point blank about whether a certain person (or people) are going to be "saved"....they retreat to the "that is between them and God" position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality