Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2022, 07:28 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
As vexatious as it is...that is a Moderator of the board, posting as a Member.
Vexatious, though probative. But it is something many already knew, and have known for a long time.
Most unfortunate.
Does the moderator have any responsibility to stop insult to a major religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 07:32 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Does the moderator have any responsibility to stop insult to a major religion?
Nope.

And this is getting too close to discussing forum moderation, which, as you are very well aware, is a violation of the TOS.

"Ask an atheist" is the topic.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nope.

And this is getting too close to discussing forum moderation, which, as you are very well aware, is a violation of the TOS.

"Ask an atheist" is the topic.
Thank you for that clarification.

Old 08-23-2022, 08:14 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Here is a question for "Ask an Atheist"

many atheists here on CD claim that atheists are logical. Earlier in the thread an atheist even went so far as to say that ALL atheists are logical and rational. Yet we also see in many posts by atheists here on CD who who claim to be logical and rational, use of profanity and insults towards those who hold different views, those they disagree with .

The question for Ask an Atheist: Do you as an atheist believe that the use of profanity and name calling towards those with different views is logical and rational behavior?

And another question for Ask an Atheist: Do you as an atheist believe it is logical to claim that "all atheists are logical and rational."

My view is that it is not a logical or rational claim. Nor is it accurate. It would be like saying "all believers tithe 10% of their income."

Old 08-23-2022, 08:37 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Just putting it out there for those who are afraid to or don't want to venture into the A&A, but still have questions.

I'll start. I wasn't always an atheist, in fact, I was quite the opposite. Questions and doubts had me searching for answers wherever I could find them. Well, I didn't find answers. There are none. There's no proof to be had from the Christianity side of things. It's all conjecture and wishful thinking. This is just my findings, so don't get offended.

I had entered the A&A forum several times, arguing my points as a Christian. As a doubter, I wanted to really listen to them and hear what they had to say. I had never known an atheist because in my religion they were to be shunned because they were more or less evil and it would create doubts. No, I already had doubts and I wanted to know why someone would choose evil over good.

Its' actually funny to me now how my indoctrination had made me think anyone who didn't believe in god is evil. I listened to atheists, I argued some more and eventually I came to Universalism, briefly. It sounded more plausible but it still didn't make much sense. It was a long process of letting go of preconceived notions and lies. These atheists were cool and super smart, and no agenda!

Now, I am an "agnostic atheist" which means I lean more towards there not being a god. Other agnostics simply admit they don't know, some atheists demand that there isn't a god. We're all different but agree on one thing that does not require "faith", as some people are claiming, it's simply just dis-belief due to lack of evidence.

Please, let's keep it civil and not let it turn into a free-for-all mud-slinging contest.
Question for Atheists: Does the perception of Existence (Reality) as God (The Divine), held by quite a percentage of the world population (and the oldest perception of God), render Atheism as nonsensical?
I mean...Existence certainly exists. That's a given.
And if it is perceived as God (as many do)...that provides for a objectively existing God, and proves false the base premise of Atheism that contends there is no evidence/proof for The Divine (God).
And that others may not perceive Existence (All That Is/Reality) as God is inconsequential and irrelevant...billions do. So...that's a wrap.
So...in the face of a self-substantiating, existing God (Existence/All That Is/Reality)...is the concept of Atheism rendered non-sense?

Old 08-23-2022, 08:44 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
except, yeah, in the post of yours, which is shown here in its entirety, you specifically single out and address and yes refer to three specific posters by name including me, and how I "come across in my posts." . You mention my posts not once, not twice, but three times you mention our posts, in your very short post. in the sentence immediately before you say "impose your religion upon others" and then again later in the post after you say "impose your religion upon others" you again emphasize the three of us and your personal opinion about reading our posts.

Quote Originally Posted by badlander: "No they are not my own views other than how you, Goldie and CB2008 come accross in your posts. And none of you come across the way you think you do. Fredom of religion which I did not even mention includes the freedom to not believe but not the freedom to impose your religion upon others. Once you exclude the freedom to not believe, the rest of the freedom of religion becomes empty words. We do not need unity we need tolerance and civility. We do jot need to agree that there is a God or that religion is akways good or that morality comes from a God. Most theists recognize that. Even sime of the more radical, for lack of a better term, do as well but the three of you posters do not seem to. Yes that is my personal.opinion based o reading the posts and what they were responses of. I stand by my previous post and nothing in your response addressed it."

Here's what I want to suggest to you: Instead of arguing the overall point of Badlander's post...that's one topic. But focus on the part that I bolded: "none of you come across the way you think you do". I have said this same thing -- perhaps not specifically to you -- to a number of posters 'on your side of the aisle' -- that some of you are the worst possible 'poster boys' for religion...and you don't realize it.

Old 08-23-2022, 08:55 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Quote Originally Posted by badlander: "No they are not my own views other than how you, Goldie and CB2008 come accross in your posts. And none of you come across the way you think you do. Fredom of religion which I did not even mention includes the freedom to not believe but not the freedom to impose your religion upon others. Once you exclude the freedom to not believe, the rest of the freedom of religion becomes empty words. We do not need unity we need tolerance and civility. We do jot need to agree that there is a God or that religion is akways good or that morality comes from a God. Most theists recognize that. Even sime of the more radical, for lack of a better term, do as well but the three of you posters do not seem to. Yes that is my personal.opinion based o reading the posts and what they were responses of. I stand by my previous post and nothing in your response addressed it."

Here's what I want to suggest to you: Instead of arguing the overall point of Badlander's post...that's one topic. But focus on the part that I bolded: "none of you come across the way you think you do". I have said this same thing -- perhaps not specifically to you -- to a number of posters 'on your side of the aisle' -- that some of you are the worst possible 'poster boys' for religion...and you don't realize it.
People shielding from, calling out, and addressing Bullies never come across as a defender to The Bully. They actually feel like they are now being bullied themselves.
This was previously illustrated:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63106255-post111.html

Old 08-23-2022, 09:03 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Would you like some links to that very thing on this forum...even very recently?
Find all posts by GldnRule

Old 08-23-2022, 09:14 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonked View Post
I make no god claims. If I did, who would decide whether I'd met my burden of proof? You? Some jury of my peers?

Where is it that this "burden of proof" falls on those who make god claims? Everywhere? On internet forums? In your mind?

Who defines this burden of proof? You? The atheist community? The believing community?

Does every deist and theist make god claims that must meet some abstract burden of proof? Does no atheist make "anti-god" claims that must meet some burden of proof?

Since the vast majority of people are and always have been deists or theists, they apparently are satisfied any burden of proof has been met, Are they all irrational? Do they all misunderstand the burden of proof?

The mere fact you insist those who make god claims have some abstract burden of proof is evidence of an agenda. Do deists and theists similarly insist atheists have a burden of proof?

Do atheists just exist in some bubble where the only concern is whether deists and theists have met some abstract burden of proof? Atheists have no obligation to examine why deists and theists believe the way they do and point to contravening evidence?

Don't we all decide for ourselves what the burden of proof is and whether it's been met? Isn't this the reality?

Thank you for taking it easy on me, but it seems to me you're the one who is confused.
Lol, asking for evidence is an agenda. As to the rest of your post, the religious do need to provide credible evidence for their claims, as they are making the extraordinary claims. Atheists have met the burden of proof for an alternative world view, even the many who do not even realize this.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Do atheists consider this personal attack?
Asking any atheist to respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality