Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2022, 09:22 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Is insulting a religion that billions of people follow as nonsense acceptable per the guidelines? Maybe a moderator would respond.
"insulting" is not a precise word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 09:23 AM

16,777 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
No Religious/Spiritual person on this board lauds burning people at the stake or terrorism.
And to claim that they "implicitly endorse" that, simply because they embrace some Theological Concept, is a biased and hateful (and false) accusation.
An accusation no one is making, and for you to be dishonest about that just to attack an atheist is hateful. You implicitly endorse the evil religion does and has done by telling atheists to be quiet about those evils, NOT because theists hold religious beliefs.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:25 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Isn't it odd when certain posters say that a particular post in this thread is on topic because they are not asking an atheist something...and then they go right ahead and make posts that don't ask an atheist something. Oh...I remember...it's called avoiding answering a question posed to them.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I did not take any quote out of context. I showed your post in full, in its entirety, every single time i referenced it, and I asked for clarification on specific phrases.
You also changed My wife can certainly fake chi energy to fake chi energy. They are two different things, because one is out of context.

Quote:
Ahhhh, there at the very end is an answer to one of the questions, and that is that you do not believe chi exists. So you do not believe chi exists, because (your words here) people "fake chi power"; and (also your words here) and "we know there are other explanations."

So then it follows that you are saying that every qi gong master (going back 3,000-4,000 years), every Shao Lin Gong Fu master (going back 1,500 years) and every tai chi master, (going back 300 years) is (according to you) faking chi. Because (according to you) chi does not exist. It sounds like then you believe that that vast body of wisdom and knowledge going back over 4,000 years is "fake."
Yet you can not prove that 'vast body of wisdom and knowledge' was not faked, whereas I have shown how you can see where it often is faked. That is how evidence works.

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying your views on this.
And thank you for simply dismissing the evidence I gave, while relying only on your opinion.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
What are you talking about?
Tzap often gets confused between objective truths and subjective tastes.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:36 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nope.

And this is getting too close to discussing forum moderation, which, as you are very well aware, is a violation of the TOS.

"Ask an atheist" is the topic.
Ask this atheist, and I think the term nonsense is just another way to point out there is a lack of justification to view the opinion or belief logical or factual. It's a term that tends to be a bit insulting and provoking, yes, and as such tends to draw attention from what might be considered nonsense and why. That billions of people have embraced opinions and beliefs that are not well justified is nothing new or any kind of proof those beliefs are fact-based.

Just ask any atheist and chances are they will tell you the same thing...

Old 08-23-2022, 09:38 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
except, yeah, in the post of yours, which is shown here in its entirety, you specifically single out and address and yes refer to three specific posters by name including me, and how I "come across in my posts." . You mention my posts not once, not twice, but three times you mention our posts, in your very short post. in the sentence immediately before you say "impose your religion upon others" and then again later in the post after you say "impose your religion upon others" you again emphasize the three of us and your personal opinion about reading our posts.
There is no freedom of religion on CD. Read the TOS of both the Christianity and Atheism sub forums. Nor can the three of you impose your religion upon anyone.

Maybe my wording was not the best but I did clarify it but you refuse to accept my clarification. What the three of you have in common that I was referring to is your claim about religious freedom being so great then bash Atheists for commenting about religion as if that freedom does not apply to us.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:42 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Ask this atheist, and I think the term nonsense is just another way to point out there is a lack of justification to view the opinion or belief logical or factual. It's a term that tends to be a bit insulting and provoking, yes, and as such tends to draw attention from what might be considered nonsense and why. That billions of people have embraced opinions and beliefs that are not well justified is nothing new or any kind of proof those beliefs are fact-based.

Just ask any atheist and chances are they will tell you the same thing...
Belief is never fact based. If it were it will no longer be belief. Facts, in fact, don’t always stay facts either. We all know that that is a fact. Yet many believe facts are truth, which is a belief.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:44 AM

477 posts, read 125,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You seem quite certain that they were wrong. Please tell me, How does one scientifically determine that our Reality itself that is responsible for our very existence and the existence of everything else is NOT God?? What is the measurement used? What is the major premise of the syllogism?

Your premise/claim
“Reality itself that is responsible for our very existence and the existence of everything else”
Is wrong. It is wrong definitionally.

Responsibility requires agency. Reality is not an agent. Reality, by definition, is a sum, aggregate, complete set of everything that exists, including, perhaps, if such a thing exists, the agent “responsible for our very existence and the existence of everything else” definitionally known as “God”.

Therefore, “God”, by definition, is part of a complete set of everything that exists, aka Reality. From this logically follows, that Reality (whole) cannot be simultaneously both Reality (whole) and God (part) the same way as God (part) cannot be simultaneously both God (part) and Reality (whole).

It is understandable why stone age people, with their naive intuitive tendencies to assign agency to pretty much everything around them were wrong on the subject. They did not know any better. All they had was naïve intuitions. The required knowledge is absolutely available to you. So why you are so stubborn in your erroneous convictions? That’s the question.
Motivated reasoning maybe? Cognitive dissonance, perhaps?

Old 08-23-2022, 09:47 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Here is a question for "Ask an Atheist"

many atheists here on CD claim that atheists are logical. Earlier in the thread an atheist even went so far as to say that ALL atheists are logical and rational. Yet we also see in many posts by atheists here on CD who who claim to be logical and rational, use of profanity and insults towards those who hold different views, those they disagree with .

The question for Ask an Atheist: Do you as an atheist believe that the use of profanity and name calling towards those with different views is logical and rational behavior?

And another question for Ask an Atheist: Do you as an atheist believe it is logical to claim that "all atheists are logical and rational."

My view is that it is not a logical or rational claim. Nor is it accurate. It would be like saying "all believers tithe 10% of their income."
One can use profanity and insults toward those who hold different views and be logical and reasonable at the same time. Many comedians use profanity and insults to make the points they want to make and of course they need not be atheists to do so. Here again what works for some doesn't work so well for others, but separate the style of delivery and focus on the points of fact, or you begin to lose focus on the facts of these matters.

Ask this atheist if it is logical to claim "all atheists are logical and rational," and I'd say no it is not. Not factual in any case. Then again who is to say? I've read many a comment in this forum that doesn't seem too logical or reasonable that others will tout as profoundly insightful and brilliant. Always seems it isn't so much the justification for the comment expressing an opinion or belief but the person reading it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality