Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2022, 09:24 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
sacred texts and holy books are in the nonfiction section of the library.
while fables are fiction.

now you know. it is apparent from the post above, that previously you did not know this.
learning happens!
I would remind you that books about Bigfoot, voodoo, the paranormal, witches, astrology, and new age beliefs are also in the nonfiction section...as are all other forms of woo-woo. Knock yourself out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 10:06 PM

477 posts, read 124,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
What the majority "thinks" does not necessarily make it true...unless it is.
Is it?

Quote:
And it is true that 84% (and growing) of the population can perceive God.
The number may very well be true. But the number itself in no way makes perceiving god objectively correct and rational.
All these 84% may very well be delusional.

At some point in history pretty much 100% of the population were sure that Earth is a flat disk and that Sun goes around the Earth. So what?
Thus, to convert number of people sharing your conviction into a supporting evidence of your conviction being true is pretty stupid. And you do it al the time. Almost in every post you make.

Quote:
I will pray for you.
That's the second time you mentioned it.
So I have to ask.
Who do you pray to?

Last edited by Sonof; 08-23-2022 at 10:21 PM..

Old 08-23-2022, 10:31 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
Is it?

The number may very well be true. But the number itself in no way makes perceiving god objectively correct and rational.

At some point in history pretty much 100% of the population were sure that Earth is a flat disk and that Sun goes around the Earth. So what?
Thus, to convert number of people sharing your conviction into a supporting evidence of your conviction being true is pretty stupid. And you do it al the time. Almost in every post you make.

So I have to ask.
Who do you pray to?
As usual his numbers are way off.

Their 2017 report found that 62% of the globe identified as religious person, 25% as not religious person.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...ion-by-country

Old 08-23-2022, 10:48 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
As usual his numbers are way off. Their 2017 report found that 62% of the globe identified as religious person, 25% as not religious person.
post above is not an accurate representation of the post he is referencing. post above is talking about "religious person." whereas the post he is inaccurately misrepresenting, referenced data on "perception of God."

it is an error and inaccuracy to conflate "perception of God" with religion or "religious person." It is also a misrepresentation of the post he is referencing. and it is a demonstration of ignorance (lack of information, knowledge, and understanding) to conflate descriptors which are not the same. It also shows an inability to evaluate and parse data.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:54 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
Is it?

The number may very well be true. But the number itself in no way makes perceiving god objectively true and rational.

So I have to ask.
Who do you pray to?
The reason most thought the Earth was flat...was the "scientists" ("elders", "wise men", etc) of the time that confirmed it.
They noted that water will always seek the lowest point...and certainly could not be at the bottom of a sphere.
Now look at all the bodies of water, great & small...so, the Earth must be flat.
You have nothing but the same worn out erroneous arguments that have been posted a jillion times.
Problem of Evil Suffering...citing ad Populum & equating to things like Flat Earth...Etc...Etc.
A claim of 84% of a population of educated, sophisticated people being "delusional", is not only beyond unreasonable...it's actually more arrogance and hubris to substitute for common sense.
Refer to my "Blind compared to Sighted" analogy...that's probative.

As per "Prayer".
What I always see as the disconnect...is that so many do not conceptualize God as anything but the metaphorical, anthropomorphic Being-type Deity, that dwells in "Heaven", as depicted in Theological writings...and that prayer must be to "Him" (possibly through other related individuals), as per the instructions of Organized Mainstream Religions.
And that is fine...but not my specific perception.
My prayer is "Focused Positive Conscious Energy".
Which is ultimately the way many pray.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:12 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
My prayer is "Focused Positive Conscious Energy".
Which is ultimately the way many pray.
Your prayer may be Focused Positive Conscious Energy but your posts are Focused Negative Conscious Energy.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
As usual his numbers are way off.

Their 2017 report found that 62% of the globe identified as religious person, 25% as not religious person.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...ion-by-country
I guess you didn't read your own link:
World Population by Religion
About 85% of the world's people identify with a religion.

Check it out...you'll see.

And that is what you see when you research it:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ds-population/

https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...t-happens-next

I know this bothers you...but you will have to learn to cope.
I will pray for you.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Your prayer may be Focused Positive Conscious Energy but your posts are Focused Negative Conscious Energy.
Yeah...miserable people that have a Anti-Religionist view probably would think that.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:56 PM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
when i see online someone use the word "nonsense" to describe a post or view, for me that means they are saying that they are not able to make sense of what they are reading. The person saying "nonsense" is saying that they are unable to understand what is being expressed or conveyed. Someone calling other views "nonsense" is demonstrating their own lack of ability to comprehend.
Blueberry radiator green monkey shoe bomb.

Is that actual nonsense, or is it your own lack of ability to comprehend?

Old 08-24-2022, 12:00 AM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Blueberry radiator green monkey shoe bomb.
Is that actual nonsense, or is it your own lack of ability to comprehend?
what you post is quite transparent.
the post above is your words, and indicative of your own thinking.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-24-2022 at 12:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality