Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 08:55 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,250,937 times

Advertisements

My impression of Satanism is that it's modern larping.

The luciferian/promethean angle to the mythos is the dead giveaway. It's a modern take on the question of God, and an anachronism for deity worship.

I think satanists are for the most part just rebellious/oppositional (which could be justified given their life experiences) atheists who ironically follow a religion that is a subversion of Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2022, 06:57 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,793,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
My impression of Satanism is that it's modern larping.

The luciferian/promethean angle to the mythos is the dead giveaway. It's a modern take on the question of God, and an anachronism for deity worship.

I think satanists are for the most part just rebellious/oppositional (which could be justified given their life experiences) atheists who ironically follow a religion that is a subversion of Christianity.
That sounds reasonable enough. I believe Satanism is mostly what you said with a little shock value thrown in for the parents sake. But what about the real Satanists? They're out there. And they may have had tough childhoods or whatever with religion but it's really not that common to turn to "dark-sidedness" (A&A joke thread) because I didn't nor will I ever.

Satan is about as real as the FSM.

Old 08-14-2022, 07:21 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
I think anyone who practises OCCULT tend to get himself/herself align with evil spirit.
Does playing oji board attract Christ or Mary or Kwan Yin goddess of mercy?

Old 08-14-2022, 09:11 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,793,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I think anyone who practises OCCULT tend to get himself/herself align with evil spirit.
Who cares? None of it is real.

Old 08-14-2022, 09:54 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
There is no such thing as "an evil spirit". Same kind of imaginary entity as a god. They don't exist.

Old 08-14-2022, 09:58 PM

19,023 posts, read 14,198,297 times
I used to post that all religions proscribed usury except Satanism. I was contacted by a Satanist who told me that they didn't approve of usurers, either.

Who woulda thunk it?

Old 08-14-2022, 10:22 PM

14 posts, read 9,268 times
When I was a teen I knew some kids who claimed to worship Satan, but it was just silly oddball rebelliousness. I have met some people who were fans of the "Church of Satan", but they don't actually believe in Satan. They're atheists who use the image of Lucifer to troll the religious. It's dorky but harmless.

Old 08-17-2022, 04:02 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I used to post that all religions proscribed usury except Satanism. I was contacted by a Satanist who told me that they didn't approve of usurers, either.

Who woulda thunk it?
If we're lucky they'll start a lending institution. Terms would be favorable.

Old 08-18-2022, 11:59 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,042,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
So then righteousness is so fragile that it evaporates on contact with evil? Satan is so much more powerful than god that you could be completely subverted or at least fatally tempted if you give any of the works of the devil the slightest regard? Christians must live in terror of accidentally "opening doors"?

When I was a Christian I didn't go seeking out "the dark side" of life so to speak but I didn't live in fear of it either. I genuinely do not understand why so many believers think their god is such a patsy and a pushover. Especially since the "Satanic" is mostly just laughable juvenile cosplay.

I understand it intellectually, of course: frightened people are controllable people, so I think some religious authorities like these ideations from a purely mercenary perspective. Also people are sometimes genuinely traumatized by certain popular depictions of "evil" and so are attracted to religious sects that address those fears in some way; it provides formulaic defenses against these fears, particularly if you think rituals have actual power rather than being merely symbolic and the purpose isn't to open doors or conjure anything, good or bad, but to focus our attention on things that we want to focus on.
Being and acting "Satanic" is not a laughable subject by any means. Satanist are big believers in GOD, but they choose to worship Satan. When human lives, as well as animals are sacrificed as an offering to "Satan", I don't really think that's funny.

Old 08-18-2022, 12:13 PM

63,802 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
So then righteousness is so fragile that it evaporates on contact with evil? Satan is so much more powerful than god that you could be completely subverted or at least fatally tempted if you give any of the works of the devil the slightest regard? Christians must live in terror of accidentally "opening doors"?

When I was a Christian I didn't go seeking out "the dark side" of life so to speak but I didn't live in fear of it either. I genuinely do not understand why so many believers think their god is such a patsy and a pushover. Especially since the "Satanic" is mostly just laughable juvenile cosplay.

I understand it intellectually, of course: frightened people are controllable people, so I think some religious authorities like these ideations from a purely mercenary perspective. Also people are sometimes genuinely traumatized by certain popular depictions of "evil" and so are attracted to religious sects that address those fears in some way; it provides formulaic defenses against these fears, particularly if you think rituals have actual power rather than being merely symbolic and the purpose isn't to open doors or conjure anything, good or bad, but to focus our attention on things that we want to focus on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality