Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 09:11 AM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You mean the subconscious voice in a person's head that Christians always mistake for God talking to them?
Lots of thoughts get attributed to God. It looks like this.

https://youtu.be/6GhSrTxdx_4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 09:24 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The other voices are the demonic spirit which pollute the body and mind of man and animals and abide in the flesh through the spirit compatible with man, but you cannot see them, but they are there .............. See God said ``unless you are born again you will not see or even experience the kingdom of Heaven `` ... so unless you repent of sin and turn to Jesus Christ then the voices would be what is left in the earth and that is demonic entities...... Islam calls them genies or jinni, which are not ghost ....... See, these spirits are a menace and are indirectly or directly responsible in killing most life on the earth because they hate the creator God .... One way of resisting them is the free will of man is best to do good as these spirit want people to do bad ....... The other way is to convert to Jesus which would be 75 percent victory on resisting these spirits in the earth, but 100 percent victory eternally, as demons cannot kill the soul of people Jesus has ...............
Reading comments like these concerns me more than just a little but helps me to understand just how powerful the confusion that religious doctrine and dogma can bring. Confusion that does nothing good for any of us I don't think. Perhaps best to just leave it at that other than to ask, really?!?

Old 08-04-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
there is a difference between "intuition" and "analytical thinking"
they are not the same.

the still small voice of intuition, is vastly different from the chattering incessant stream of racing thoughts and mental noise generated by the mind
I'm not sure anyone suggested intuition is the same thing as analytical thinking. Did I do that? I don't think so, because I know there is a difference. A big difference...

I think as this thread well demonstrates, that "internal dialogue" I've been referring to can be described and/or defined in any number of different ways. I am highlighting how one's bias, perspective and inclinations along these lines can lead to all manner of different descriptions and beliefs as to what is going on between our ears, and/or what some might think is going on outside ourselves.

I am quite sure what is going on between the ears involves a good deal of what we might all consider intuition at times. Critical thinking at other times. Or just plain thinking of one kind or another at all times. Even dreaming might be considered a form of thinking in the same way. The mind always working, and all of us doing our best to understand what our brains are "telling us" one way or another.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Devil’s whispers may be?

In my view, God in general, does not talk to you directly by creating these “voices in your headâ€. God doesn’t need to do that. Devil does that.

The way God communicates with humans is thru holy text revealed to his true prophets - you then read thru the holy text of various religions to do your own research to see which one talks to your heart.

God provides a guidance on how to live your life and sets boundaries for you - it’s then it’s up to you as to how honestly have you tried?
Yet another example of yet another version of what is going on between our ears...

Since I am an atheist, none of what you think is going on is what I think is going on, and quite frankly I am very glad I don't share your view. I believe the "internal dialogue" we all know provides me guidance on how to live my life and sets boundaries for me. A process culminating from all my learning and experiences to date, forever still being evaluated and concluded upon by way of that "internal dialogue" that also includes thoughts I think best not to act upon.

No matter what anyone thinks is going on between the ears, I/we can only hope the result is a person who leans toward doing right by/for themselves and others rather than wrong. I know doing so doesn't require a religious belief even though some religious people just can't accept that fact.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You mean the subconscious voice in a person's head that Christians always mistake for God talking to them?
Mistake or "unmistakeable" as some might otherwise argue? You tell me...

Clearly depends on who you ask and their "leanings" along these lines.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
People who have had to overcome seem more empathetic to me. I'm not surprised it had the opposite effect as hardening your heart.
I think those sorts of difficult experiences have greatly enhanced my levels of sympathy and/or empathy towards others, but I know the opposite can happen to people too. Sometimes hardship breeds personal improvement. Other times it brings us down. Again all a function of what goes on between the ears, and for all of us that "internal dialogue" is a very personal, unique and amazing process that can result in just about any way imaginable.

Old 08-04-2022, 03:50 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'm not sure anyone suggested intuition is the same thing as analytical thinking. Did I do that? I don't think so, because I know there is a difference. A big difference...I think as this thread well demonstrates, that "internal dialogue" I've been referring to can be described and/or defined in any number of different ways. I am highlighting how one's bias, perspective and inclinations along these lines can lead to all manner of different descriptions and beliefs as to what is going on between our ears, and/or what some might think is going on outside ourselves. I am quite sure what is going on between the ears involves a good deal of what we might all consider intuition at times. Critical thinking at other times. Or just plain thinking of one kind or another at all times. Even dreaming might be considered a form of thinking in the same way. The mind always working, and all of us doing our best to understand what our brains are "telling us" one way or another.
it is not clear from your posts what you mean by "internal dialogue" and what you mean by "the other voice."

Quote:
I got to wondering about the other voice we all hear in our heads. The one that sometimes brings thoughts we don't expect or sometimes wish we hadn't thought at all. The other voice we reason with. Think with. The other voice it seems we often can't really control. I hope I'm not the only one, because that might make people think I'm crazy, but I know better. I've read enough about the "internal dialogue" all us humans engage in daily, and of course we all know what I'm referring to here

Old 08-04-2022, 07:00 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
I got to wondering about the other voice we all hear in our heads. The one that sometimes brings thoughts we don't expect or sometimes wish we hadn't thought at all. The other voice we reason with. Think with. The other voice it seems we often can't really control. I hope I'm not the only one, because that might make people think I'm crazy, but I know better. I've read enough about the "internal dialogue" all us humans engage in daily, and of course we all know what I'm referring to here...Just recently, however, I got to thinking how easy it is to perhaps confuse this experience as one having to do with a connection with god. How easy it would be for some people to confuse that "communication" as coming from somewhere outside our minds. From God for example. I often get the sense that people who believe they are experiencing communication with God, or praying to God with a sense of being heard, are actually just mistaking that same "internal dialogue" we all experience as not internal. Accordingly, it seems quite possible we are all experiencing the same thing but just interpreting that "dialogue" in different ways. Namely as external rather than just internal, and not all of the dialogue of course. For theists just the "dialogue" intended to be for or with God. I know my experiences along these lines have been quite varied, as I'm sure has been the case with just about everyone else. Who, what is that "other voice?" What do you think?

Divinity is both "in here" and also "out there." The Divine is not only all around us out there external (transcendent) but also within each of us in here internal (immanent).

it sounds like in post above the view is limited to only considering Divinity as external

Old 08-05-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
it is not clear from your posts what you mean by "internal dialogue" and what you mean by "the other voice."
I guess you missed all those comments then...

Old 08-05-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Divinity is both "in here" and also "out there." The Divine is not only all around us out there external (transcendent) but also within each of us in here internal (immanent).

it sounds like in post above the view is limited to only considering Divinity as external
No, but thanks for this opportunity to clarify...

Some people believe divinity is both "in here" and also "out there." Yes of course.

What divinity actually is remains the question for others, and either way, the "internal dialogue" we all know tends to reinforce whatever those beliefs may be, because we're all free to interpret what is going on between the ears in whatever way we like, per our pre-established inclinations along these lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality