Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 02:51 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It would be hard to talk to an atheist about god. But they can certainly understand a higher power that resides within them that they can tap into. We are all endowed with it, but may not feel it under the pressure of addiction, suffering, or loss. So yes, worth reminding them about the ways to access it could be prayer.
To feel god’s love requires faith, just as feeling human love does. There are people who do not feel the love, or have lost the capacity. They may require to be reminded. It is the same godlove that connects all beings and it is always there.
Many addicts are so weighed down from the results of their behavior that virtue seems to be beyond their grasp.

The 12 steps teach them to take the actions 1st.

The feelings will follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 03:03 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Many addicts are so weighed down from the results of their behavior that virtue seems to be beyond their grasp.

The 12 steps teach them to take the actions 1st.

The feelings will follow.
Virtue? Like in morality? Can you elaborate on how that fits into talking about accessing a higher power within one self? Thanks.

Old 09-01-2022, 04:43 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Virtue? Like in morality? Can you elaborate on how that fits into talking about accessing a higher power within one self? Thanks.
You were referring to " feelings " of love. Many will not be able to
" feel " before they take the " actions " of love.

In other words, take the actions of love, and the feelings will follow.

Old 09-01-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Yes. Truth.

Old 09-02-2022, 07:28 AM

1,855 posts, read 796,679 times
Friday, September 2
Quote:
Thought for the Day

"Outline the program of action to new prospects, explaining how you made a self appraisal, how you straightened out your past, and why you are now endeavoring to help them. It is important for them to realize that your attempt to pass this on to them plays a vital part in your own recovery. The more hopeless they feel, the better. They will be more likely to follow your suggestions. Tell them about the fellowship of A.A. and if they show interest, lend them a copy of the Big Book." Can I tell the A.A. story to another alcoholic?

Meditation for the Day

You should try to stand aside and let God work through you. You should try not to block Him off by your own efforts, or prevent His spirit working through you. God desires your obedient service and your loyalty to the ideals of the new life you are seeking. If you are loyal to God, He will give you protection against mistakes. His spirit will plan for you and secure for you a sufficiency of all spiritual help. You will have true victory and real success, if you will put yourself in the background and let God work through you.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may not interfere with the working of God's spirit in me and through me. I pray that I may give it full rein.
https://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/th...ur-hours-a-day

Old 09-02-2022, 10:00 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:

Excellent insight and advice, Oakback!

Old 09-02-2022, 01:51 PM

I drink them 23oz teas as a bad habit that's similar to real alcohol ones. I am probably just addicted to the sugar in them but it's becoming a weird habit of drinking these cans. I miss taking photos of the book like before and still might but just not post.

Old 09-03-2022, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Saturday, September 3
Thought for the Day

"Offer new prospects friendship and fellowship. Tell them that if they want to get well you will do anything to help. Burn the idea into the consciousness of new prospects that they can get well, regardless of anyone else. Job or no job, spouse or no spouse, they cannot stop drinking as long as they place dependence on other people ahead of dependence on God. Let no alcoholic say they cannot recover unless they have their family back. This just isn't so. Their recovery is not dependent upon other people. It is dependent on their own relationship to God." Can I recognize all excuses made by a prospect?

Meditation for the Day

The spiritual life depends upon the Unseen. To live the spiritual life, you must believe in the Unseen. Try not to lose the consciousness of God's spirit in you and in others. As a child in its mother's arms, stay sheltered in the understanding and love of God. God will relieve you of the weight of worry and care, misery and depression, want and woe, faintness and heartache, if you will let Him. Life up your eyes from earth's troubles and view the glory of the unseen God. Each day try to see more good in people, more of the Unseen in the seen.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may rest and abide in the presence of the unseen God. I pray that I may leave my burdens in His care.

Old 09-04-2022, 07:24 AM

Sunday, September 4
Quote:
Thought for the Day

"We must be careful never to show intolerance or hatred of drinking as an institution. Experience shows that such an attitude is not helpful to anyone. We are not fanatics or intolerant of people who can drink normally. Prospects are relieved when they find we are not witch burners. Temperate drinking is okay, but we alcoholics can't get away with it. And no alcoholic likes to be told about alcohol by anyone who hates it. We shall be of little use if our attitude is one of bitterness or hostility." Do I have tolerance for those who can drink normally?

Meditation for the Day

Do not become encumbered by petty annoyances. Never respond to emotional upsets by emotional upset. Try to keep calm in all circumstances. Try not to fight back. Call on the grace of God to calm you when you feel like retaliating. Look to God for the inner strength to drop those resentments that drag you down. If you are burdened by annoyances, you will lose your inward peace and the spirit of God will be shut out. Try to keep peaceful within.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may do the things that make for peace. I pray that I may have a mission of conciliation.

Old 09-05-2022, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shhon View Post
Very good advice about not being judgmental. We are all human with weaknesses and with different coping skills. We only need to worry about our’s and put in all the effort needed to heal from addiction.

Quote:
. Do not become encumbered by petty annoyances. Never respond to emotional upsets by emotional upset. Try to keep calm in all circumstances. Try not to fight back. Call on the grace of God to calm you when you feel like retaliating. Look to God for the inner strength to drop those resentments that drag you down. If you are burdened by annoyances, you will lose your inward peace and the spirit of God will be shut out. Try to keep peaceful within.
Yes, we need the grace of of the Divine to be graceful in face of adversity. We need to be open to that light that shines within to guide us in thought, speech, and action.
Thank you for sharing this.
Wishing you a most excellent day, Shhon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality