Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 09:49 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Well, it's Self-Realization Fellowship stuff and I don't know that Americans at large take this Near-East mysticism seriously. Certainly science doesn't. I haven't read the book. I think like most stuff in this vein it's mystics and swamis trying to put their particular brand of philosophy on an essentially unexplainable universe and even worse, our place in it.

As an atheist now my own take is that we're just a lovely anomaly in an even lovelier cold lifeless universe. There's nothing alive out there--spiritual or physical. Somehow in a way that will never be explained this planet came about, produced some miraculous forms of life....

and we are now reaching the end of that grand cycle very rapidly because of global warming, which will engulf out planet in brutal heat within a matter of a decade at least and a few at most at the rate weather disasters are overtaking us. I'm glad I'm nearing the end of my life cycle. I wouldn't be 20 again for all the money in the world right now.

This is an interesting post, that I enjoyed reading as a believer. Thank you.

And I will divide it into three chunks.

The first bold part in blue is where I tend to agree with you. So the book may not have much appeal to me to begin with.

The third part in bold black is where it gives me an assurance (even though I don't need it anymore), that the theological faith, I chose to believe in, has a good chance to stand it's ground. It's because, over the decades, what the scientific studies and data, and what you have observed as an educated and intelligence Atheist has been foretold to me by my faith 1400 years ago.
NO ONE in that era could possibly know that the weather is gonna turn wild, and in some cases it wil get EXTRA hot.
Matter of fact, a recent study published indicated that by 2053, midwestern United States will reach to 125 degree Celsius.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/15/sout...t-by-2053.html

1400 years ago, my faith guidance indicated it to me that "when the ending times get near, the weather will become so hot that one would feel as if the sun is only at a yard's distance." (excerpts from the saying of Prophet Muhammad (sa)).

My religion informed about this, and modern day science and you being unbiased third party tend to agree with it.

And the second part in bold brown, actually also gives me assurance that even though the collective knowledge of all humanity is EXTREMELY LIMITED when we talk about space and time, but my faith tells that there is a creator behind all this.

There is way, way, WAY TOO MUCH going on in every single square inch of the universe (on microscopic level), and there is way, way WAY TOO MUCH going on a gigantic galaxcial scale in the universes , for it all to be a "Pleasant anomaly".
You have an unlimited amount of factors to have fallen in place in perfection to create this "pleasant anomaly" - It's way beyond impossible.

And on the side, it's impossible for with human like knowledge and capacity to think about creating and running the universe.

So then who or what is doing it all?

Yes, indeed we don't empirically know. We don't have all the answers, and we are all holding our cards to find out what's awaiting after we cross the line of life.

as Einstein said it in his words

"Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable. Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2022, 09:51 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
That is exactly how I understood from your post. People have various vested reasons to twist their own erroneous ideas into it to make a non existent argument. Nothing can be done about it.
Krishna says in the Bhagavat Gita “All who seek me are dear to me. All paths lead to me.” The me is Divinity, one single Oneness.
yes. many paths, same mountain. that's how i read it too.
regardless of the name given or the path taken.

it always makes me chuckle though. it's like someone blustering and objecting that the endearments "Papa" "Daddy" "Father" "Tatte" "Dad" "Abba" "Da" can't all mean the same thing, so therefore none of them are correct.

Do people describe Divinity differently? Yes. Just like people living in snowy Iceland describe where they live very differently from how people in Peru describe the rainforests of Peru, and people living in Nevada describe the desert . They are each describing what the earth is like where they live and how they experience it. All very different, but all the same one earth we live on.

many paths, different scenery along the way, same destination.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-20-2022 at 10:03 PM..

Old 08-21-2022, 12:17 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
Unless you are schizophrenic, there is no "we" in self.
Correct, and irrelevant. I was not talking about myself.

Perhaps you should begin to address the actual arguments instead of relying on your usual ad hominems.

Old 08-21-2022, 12:18 AM

Quote:
English is his second language.
Third. Greek grandparents, Greek mother, German father.

Old 08-21-2022, 12:22 AM

412 posts, read 137,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Correct, and irrelevant. I was not talking about myself.

Perhaps you should begin to address the actual arguments instead of relying on your usual ad hominems.
You interjected your usual "we" vs. you tactic that had nothing to do with my post. You are simply looking to argue for the sake of arguing and improving your English by way of keyboard insults.

Old 08-21-2022, 02:30 AM

Quote:
She has explained it. Do you understand it?
Except farm fatale just repeated her claim, which is simply to hijack other religions and pretend they are worshiping the same god. But if the many Daoist gods exist, then there is not just one god. So how do we choose which is the correct view? Either there are many gods, just one, or none.

Old 08-21-2022, 02:43 AM

Quote:
You interjected your usual "we" vs. you tactic that had nothing to do with my post.
Except it did, I pointed out that we atheists have explored how the world works, contrary to your claim, and we do not believe any gods did it; and it is not us who are angry enough to burn people at the stake.

I interjected nothing, I talked about us because your post 19 did not specify if you were referring to one or more people.

Quote:
You are simply looking to argue for the sake of arguing and improving your English by way of keyboard insults.
I am not the one implying dubious motives about other people while ignoring the content of the post.

Old 08-21-2022, 06:37 AM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Except farm fatale just repeated her claim, which is simply to hijack other religions and pretend they are worshiping the same god. But if the many Daoist gods exist, then there is not just one god. So how do we choose which is the correct view? Either there are many gods, just one, or none.
Why do you attribute your twisted thoughts to her? Those twisted thoughts belong to you and your pitiful ignorance of such things. Take what she says at face value, this is what she believes, and so do other systems of spiritual thought.
I dont know what Daoist is.
Who is the we that needs to choose? The plural you that you call yourself, or are you speaking for ALL atheists?
We, those of us who share the same spiritual path as Farm fatale does, choose to believe there is no single path to divinity. All spiritual paths seeking the single Oneness, the eternal Brhman, the One Reality are all correct.
We have no quarrels, we are at peace.

Old 08-21-2022, 08:01 AM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Why do you attribute your twisted thoughts to her? Those twisted thoughts belong to you and your pitiful ignorance of such things. Take what she says at face value, this is what she believes, and so do other systems of spiritual thought.
I dont know what Daoist is.
Who is the we that needs to choose? The plural you that you call yourself, or are you speaking for ALL atheists?
We, those of us who share the same spiritual path as Farm fatale does, choose to believe there is no single path to divinity. All spiritual paths seeking the single Oneness, the eternal Brhman, the One Reality are all correct.
We have no quarrels, we are at peace.
very well said.

Taoism (some call it Daosim) also recognizes the single Oneness.

"Taoism is the concept of non-duality. Tao is one unified whole that originates all the elements of the Universe."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-21-2022 at 08:19 AM..

Old 08-21-2022, 08:05 AM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
very well said.

Taoism (some call it Daosim) also recognizes the single Oneness.

"Taoism is the concept of non-duality. Tao is one unified whole that originates all the elements of the Universe."
Thank you for that explanation, Tzap. So what is Diogenes’s problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality