Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 06:03 AM

4,548 posts, read 3,750,269 times

Advertisements

This book was suggested on another forum, and wanted to ask if anyone here has read this book? I've always been conflicted on our place in the extremely large Universe and how religion and science fit together.

The Holy Science
https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Science-...d_gw_ci_mcx_mi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2022, 06:18 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
This book was suggested on another forum, and wanted to ask if anyone here has read this book? I've always been conflicted on our place in the extremely large Universe and how religion and science fit together.

The Holy Science
https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Science-...d_gw_ci_mcx_mi
Science attempts to figure out the function and composition of God (Reality/All That Is).
Though...God is God, regardless of what we do or don't figure out.

Old 08-15-2022, 05:50 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Well, it's Self-Realization Fellowship stuff and I don't know that Americans at large take this Near-East mysticism seriously. Certainly science doesn't. I haven't read the book. I think like most stuff in this vein it's mystics and swamis trying to put their particular brand of philosophy on an essentially unexplainable universe and even worse, our place in it. As an atheist now my own take is that we're just a lovely anomaly in an even lovelier cold lifeless universe. There's nothing alive out there--spiritual or physical. Somehow in a way that will never be explained this planet came about, produced some miraculous forms of life and we are now reaching the end of that grand cycle very rapidly because of global warming, which will engulf out planet in brutal heat within a matter of a decade at least and a few at most at the rate weather disasters are overtaking us. I'm glad I'm nearing the end of my life cycle. I wouldn't be 20 again for all the money in the world right now.

Old 08-15-2022, 06:08 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Well, it's Self-Realization Fellowship stuff and I don't know that Americans at large take this Near-East mysticism seriously. Certainly science doesn't. I haven't read the book. I think like most stuff in this vein it's mystics and swamis trying to put their particular brand of philosophy on an essentially unexplainable universe and even worse, our place in it. As an atheist now my own take is that we're just a lovely anomaly in an even lovelier cold lifeless universe. There's nothing alive out there--spiritual or physical. Somehow in a way that will never be explained this planet came about, produced some miraculous forms of life and we are now reaching the end of that grand cycle very rapidly because of global warming, which will engulf out planet in brutal heat within a matter of a decade at least and a few at most at the rate weather disasters are overtaking us. I'm glad I'm nearing the end of my life cycle. I wouldn't be 20 again for all the money in the world right now.
You don't think that life could have evolved on other planets? Why not?

As for this planet coming about in a way that can never be explained, you may not know that we can observe planet formation occurring around certain stars. Or perhaps more accurately, evidence for what is taken to be planet formation taking place. For instance,

Planet Forming Around the Young Star HL Tauri, Planetary Genesis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMqvn2SzvHY

Old 08-15-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
You don't think that life could have evolved on other planets? Why not?

As for this planet coming about in a way that can never be explained, you may not know that we can observe planet formation occurring around certain stars. Or perhaps more accurately, evidence for what is taken to be planet formation taking place. For instance,

Planet Forming Around the Young Star HL Tauri, Planetary Genesis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMqvn2SzvHY

Anything is possible. In my book now it has to prove itself as real before I'll believe in it. That goes for God and little green men from Alpha Centauri. Until then, I accept nothing on faith.

Old 08-15-2022, 06:52 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Anything is possible. In my book now it has to prove itself as real before I'll believe in it. That goes for God and little green men from Alpha Centauri. Until then, I accept nothing on faith.
Okay. Thanks.

Old 08-16-2022, 05:44 AM

4,548 posts, read 3,750,269 times
Quote:

Have you studied the sheer size of the Universe? How do you explain the extremely large size with nothing spiritually or physically alive out there?

If you are an atheist, wouldn't you have some sort of explanation on how life came about on Earth? Seems odd you would just say it happened and we can't explain it.

(btw, global warming ending life in a decade is a little pessimistic)

Old 08-16-2022, 01:01 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
A little optimistic in a sense because life ending cleanly and relatively suddenly would be a mercy in a world ravaged by some of the things that are imminent. No, that is not how the world ends, with a bang -- it ends with a whimper. A lot of people will die in the foreseeable future, but a lot will not, and they will not experience the comfort and ease and bounty to which we are currently accustomed.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Have you studied the sheer size of the Universe? How do you explain the extremely large size with nothing spiritually or physically alive out there?

If you are an atheist, wouldn't you have some sort of explanation on how life came about on Earth? Seems odd you would just say it happened and we can't explain it.

Show me some evidence for this God and I'd be happy to believe again. I've been down the road of belief based on nothing but faith and I don't like it. We only get one life and throwing it away on something that cannot be seen or felt or communicated with except in our hearts and minds is to me a waste of a good life. If this God if he exists wants to demonstrate his concern for us then let him demonstrate it doing something physical that can be seen and touched. Otherwise in my book he doesn't exist and I cannot explain how this universe came about except that it has always been here and has just been creating, collapsing and recreating. God has my address, he can visit me anytime he wants.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:17 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post

With the sheer size of the Universe it makes it increases the possibility of life to exist other than life however we just cannot assume that it is probable or to accept it as a fact until it becomes a fact.

As far as how life began here there are several good hypothesis but we may never know for sure how it exactly happened billions of years ago. We only know it did happen at least once and we do not even know for certain what the conditions were where life originated.

As an atheist we can acknowledge that there is much we do not know about and the best we can say is that ever new discovery adds to the wonder of the Universe and we encourage more study and discoveries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality