Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 11:09 AM

88 posts, read 33,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This is such a common response that it's almost a stereotype. On what basis would you misread the OP as expressing some kind of personal concern or upset with what others believe? All he did was point out that he doubts most people deeply believe what they claim to, and he has a problem accepting in toto any belief system he has encountered, as none are entirely credible to him.

The irony is that you're basically confirming his argument by stating that your primary criteria for adhering to your beliefs is not that they are coherent or thought through but just that you are "comfortable in" them.

In my case, I have foresworn theism entirely, which is another possible response to this problem. But one thing the OP and I have in common is that every time our expressed thoughts makes a believer uncomfortable with what they were previously comfortable with, we are asked why we care so much what others believe -- when what we actually give a fig about is what WE believe and WHY.

If your beliefs center you and make you happy, and you don't want to reason about them particularly, that's fine -- knock yourself out. People like myself or the OP aren't trying to change you or take that from you or say that it's wrong or bad. It is just not right for us. And yes ... the world is full of folks for whom your particular beliefs do not work. That doesn't make anyone right or wrong, just different.
Bingo to the maximum degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 11:18 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
My problem with religion is that it can be used to encourage people to put their own opinions above another person's humanity.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:36 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
My problem with religion is that it can be used to encourage people to put their own opinions above another person's humanity.
You could say that about anything...government, media, sports, the military, business & economics, etc.
If anything...Religious paths to The Divine help to make people less self-interested and more kind & generous than the other way around.
In fact...Religion (overall) is one of the more successful ways to solve the problem you note. Not always, of course, but a core tenet of most Religions is being good to others.
Especially the poor and most vulnerable.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You could say that about anything...government, media, sports, the military, business & economics, etc.
If anything...Religious paths to The Divine help to make people less self-interested and more kind & generous than the other way around.
In fact...Religion (overall) is one of the more successful ways to solve the problem you note. Not always, of course, but a core tenet of most Religions is being good to others.
How much do you actually know about Christainty?

Old 08-30-2022, 12:21 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
That was my thought too. That sentiment could be applied to anything.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
That was my thought too. That sentiment could be applied to anything.
Anything can be. Religion seems to lend itself particularly well wouldn't you say?

Old 08-30-2022, 12:28 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonked View Post
A hardcore materialist is by definition an atheist since materialism by definition leaves no room for the spiritual.

At least some atheists aren't materialists and believe in a higher reality.

They may be naturalists or may hold beliefs that are best characterized as spiritual, albeit not deistic or theistic.

That's all I meant: I flatly reject materialism.

Interesting, thanks.

After you posted I went away to read about this.

Funny I've been visiting this forum for 10+ years and can't recall anyone ever mentioning this - i guess you'd call it a philosophical standpoint.
I don't think there are many atheists who view atheism in quite so stark terms.
I think most of us acknowlege that we are the sum of infinitely complex parts that amount to something greater than ourselves. We just don't attach a god to whatever that is.
I can only think of one or two people in the past - maybe a poster called Grandstander, now passed on, would have maybe been a material atheist as you describe.
I think most atheists are actually fairly open minded despite what I'm sure a lot of the theists here think of us.
Anyway, interesting take on things and thanks for clarifying.
This topic would actually make a good thread of its own I think.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:31 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
How much do you actually know about Christainty?
We've been over this before...you musta forgot:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63560648-post241.html

Old 08-30-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
We've been over this before...you musta forgot:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63560648-post241.html
So, since you never "got into" anyone else's beliefs your knowledge is limited to your own experience. And you think you can universally apply that?

Old 08-30-2022, 12:49 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Interesting way to look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality