Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2022, 08:05 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Hljc, your rabid devotion to jesus christ, who is by all historical indications a myth, has blinded you to reality. To say there is no proof George Washington existed when we have his writings, paintings, addresses to the nation, and others' descriptions of him betrays the height of ignorance. Listening to such drivel makes me so glad I escaped the clutches of Christianity and its Medieval mindset. Christianity does a hatchet job on people's ability to think critical thinking by making them slavishly devoted to jesus to extent they cannot think straight anymore. What a sad commentary on American religion.
And yet, there are millions of Christians over a long time who have demonstrated ability to think critically, done a lot of good, created art and industries, raised the GDP, discovered and invented articles that have helped humanity.
What is American religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 08:22 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
people expressing different views than your own are not "up to no good" they are simply expressing views different than your own. people with whom you disagree are not "up to no good" and to view those with whom you disagree as "up to no good" conveys an alarming level of hostility towards those holding different views than your own. The behavior described in your post #428 uses pejoratives to accuse those who choose not to reveal their beliefs. mensa falls in that category. cb does not fall in that category. it is helpful to know how to use the search feature to prevent posting inaccuracies and false accusations, such as these.
You're "up to no good" too. It has nothing to do with people expressing different views and you know that. I am inclusive, just like I stated in the Ask An Atheist" thread. You offer nothing except posting supposed dirt on other posters and nobody cares! Now post like you got some sense and quit attacking me and everyone else who is an atheist or you don't agree with - which seems to be everyone except a couple other troublemakers.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:28 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Hljc, your rabid devotion to jesus christ, who is by all historical indications a myth, has blinded you to reality. To say there is no proof George Washington existed when we have his writings, paintings, addresses to the nation, and others' descriptions of him betrays the height of ignorance. Listening to such drivel makes me so glad I escaped the clutches of Christianity and its Medieval mindset. Christianity does a hatchet job on people's ability to think critical thinking by making them slavishly devoted to jesus to extent they cannot think straight anymore. What a sad commentary on American religion.
That's not really accurate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

Old 09-12-2022, 08:38 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
You're "up to no good" too. It has nothing to do with people expressing different views and you know that. I am inclusive, just like I stated in the Ask An Atheist" thread. You offer nothing except posting supposed dirt on other posters and nobody cares! Now post like you got some sense and quit attacking me and everyone else who is an atheist or you don't agree with - which seems to be everyone except a couple other troublemakers.
This is an amazing piece of self and not-self inner dialog and self-talk. I hope it helps heal whatever self hate that exists. Prayers help.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:52 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
thrillobyte, I’ve considered your argument…and decided to remain a Christian.

Old 09-12-2022, 09:03 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
And yet, there are millions of Christians over a long time who have demonstrated ability to think critically, done a lot of good, created art and industries, raised the GDP, discovered and invented articles that have helped humanity.
What is American religion?

What I implied was that people who accept the existence of a figure who they claim survived death, for whom there isn't the slightest bit of evidence he even lived much less died and resurrected is a perfect example of a person who has had their reasoning ability shattered by the powers of religious dogma and by believing things that have been hammered into their mind down to the subconscious level by other equally deluded fools or people high in the church hierarchy who have devious intentions of defrauding them of their money to be able to enjoy a lavish lifestyle on that money.

Most people in here believe in Jesus Christ because from the cradle they have been brainwashed into believing him with hymns like "Jesus loves me" and constantly being told Jesus is their savior over and over and over again. They've seen drawings of Jesus that always look the same (copied from some famous Medieval paintings of a bearded man with long hair) they go church and are again told that Jesus is alive in heaven, that he died for their sins and rose, bla bla. They are blasted with "Jesus, Jesus" hundreds of thousands of times during their lives. It's not surprising they believe in Jesus, and Jesus becomes as real to them as their own mother.

But an examination of the historical record for Jesus by someone not blinded to the deceptions and untruths people have been told by the Church for 2000 years shows a blank--nothing.

Typically, our thought processes are such that if we're asked to believe in something like an invisible dragon we just laugh it off. But when we're told day after day for tens of thousands of days that this invisible dragon is real then we believe it is real even though there' no evidence for it. The clincher is we're told this dragon is our friend if we believe in it but the dragon is a fire-breathing type and will incinerate us with his breath if we don't believe in it. And we're told this tens of thousands of times throughout our lives.

But a few intrepid souls like myself who was raised with this mythical dragon take a chance and start calling the dragon a myth, they start telling others the dragon is a myth and that nothing will happen to them if they stop believing in it? Why? Because I blaspheme this dragon regularly and I'm still here alive and well. Nothing happened to me. The Christian's answer? "You just wait. When you die that's when you'll be burned forever in hell."

Christianity wasn't the first to use the threat of eternal torture in hell for disobedience. The Greeks had been using it for hundreds of years before Jesus against people who would make political disturbances against the Greek democracy. The Church learned that eternal torture for disobedience is an extremely effective tool to keep people faithful to their fraudulent story of Jesus.

The people in here who have taken a chance and used their critical thinking skills to analyze the situation come to the realization like I did that they have been sold a bill of goods by the Christian organization. They find life without all the religious baggage is much better than being weighed down by all the false dogmas and swearing allegiance to a mythical figure.

Old 09-12-2022, 10:35 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
What I implied was that people who accept the existence of a figure who they claim survived death, for whom there isn't the slightest bit of evidence he even lived much less died and resurrected is a perfect example of a person who has had their reasoning ability shattered by the powers of religious dogma and by believing things that have been hammered into their mind down to the subconscious level by other equally deluded fools or people high in the church hierarchy who have devious intentions of defrauding them of their money to be able to enjoy a lavish lifestyle on that money.

Most people in here believe in Jesus Christ because from the cradle they have been brainwashed into believing him with hymns like "Jesus loves me" and constantly being told Jesus is their savior over and over and over again. They've seen drawings of Jesus that always look the same (copied from some famous Medieval paintings of a bearded man with long hair) they go church and are again told that Jesus is alive in heaven, that he died for their sins and rose, bla bla. They are blasted with "Jesus, Jesus" hundreds of thousands of times during their lives. It's not surprising they believe in Jesus, and Jesus becomes as real to them as their own mother.

But an examination of the historical record for Jesus by someone not blinded to the deceptions and untruths people have been told by the Church for 2000 years shows a blank--nothing.

Typically, our thought processes are such that if we're asked to believe in something like an invisible dragon we just laugh it off. But when we're told day after day for tens of thousands of days that this invisible dragon is real then we believe it is real even though there' no evidence for it. The clincher is we're told this dragon is our friend if we believe in it but the dragon is a fire-breathing type and will incinerate us with his breath if we don't believe in it. And we're told this tens of thousands of times throughout our lives.

But a few intrepid souls like myself who was raised with this mythical dragon take a chance and start calling the dragon a myth, they start telling others the dragon is a myth and that nothing will happen to them if they stop believing in it? Why? Because I blaspheme this dragon regularly and I'm still here alive and well. Nothing happened to me. The Christian's answer? "You just wait. When you die that's when you'll be burned forever in hell."

Christianity wasn't the first to use the threat of eternal torture in hell for disobedience. The Greeks had been using it for hundreds of years before Jesus against people who would make political disturbances against the Greek democracy. The Church learned that eternal torture for disobedience is an extremely effective tool to keep people faithful to their fraudulent story of Jesus.

The people in here who have taken a chance and used their critical thinking skills to analyze the situation come to the realization like I did that they have been sold a bill of goods by the Christian organization. They find life without all the religious baggage is much better than being weighed down by all the false dogmas and swearing allegiance to a mythical figure.
They Way of The World, and the fact that many the greatest minds ever were Christian/Religious/Theist, contradicts your constant anti-Christian/Religion rants.
These diatribes of yours do nothing but demonstrate that it is YOU that lacks thinking skills...well, beyond how to be disrespectful and uncouth to the majority of the people in this world.

Old 09-12-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

I see you continue to take the Christians' side on this, phet. I'll ask you what I ask everyone who does: show me a single historian who mentions Jesus in the 1st century, beside Josephus who as I have explained countless times his passages are so mired in controversy with Christian interpolations and tampering are not worth the paper they're written on.

Old 09-12-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
thrillobyte, I’ve considered your argument…and decided to remain a Christian.

Jimmi, can you explain to us why in the face of all the evidence I have presented against Jesus of Nazareth existing, you continue to believe in him? What do you base your faith on, or do you just base it on faith?

Old 09-12-2022, 12:21 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
I see you continue to take the Christians' side on this, phet. I'll ask you what I ask everyone who does: show me a single historian who mentions Jesus in the 1st century, beside Josephus who as I have explained countless times his passages are so mired in controversy with Christian interpolations and tampering are not worth the paper they're written on.
You error in assuming, and demanding, that historians must live at the time of the person or event they are writing about. Most of ancient history was not written by historians who were first hand witnesses to the person or event that they record. By your argument, most of ancient history must be thrown out.

Nevertheless, the Roman historian Tacitus did live in the first and second centuries (c. AD 56- C. AD 120) and he did mention Christ, that he was executed by order of Pontius Pilate in Judea, and that the movement of which he is the cause did not die with him but ''broke out'' again.

It is a simple fact that most historians today, including those who are not themselves Christian recognize that a historical Jesus, without regard to the issue of whether or not he was as portrayed in the NT, did exist.

Those who deny the existence of a historical Jesus, known as Jesus mythicists, simply parade their ignorance.

Your constant unreasoning rants against Christians and Christianity and Jesus suggest that something is going on with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality