Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 06:31 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I think that the rise in nihilistic behavior is a direct result of the rise of atheism.

Because if you truly believe that this is it, most will chase their base desires at the expense of others.
Yet we see the religious also chasing their base desires, and this has been the case throughout history. when atheism was a minority position due to you having your head cut off if you was one.

And if you truly believe there is no afterlife, that there is only one life, then that life becomes more precious.

Quote:
I believe in an afterlife, and I think our society would be better served if more people believed this way also.
The evidence of history is against you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 06:34 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
There is something wrong with the data for Asia. I don't say this with any bad connotations, but Chinese and Japanese are some of the most superstitious people in the world. For example, in Japan, if someone died of an unnatural cause and their house is or sale, it must legally be disclosed, and there can be a huge deal on the property.

I think something must be lost in translation.
That occurred to me as well! Ancestor worship is very much part of Chinese belief, and I think Japan as well, as well as India.
Disclosure of death in the house is required for sale of a house in the US also.
I am indifferent to life after death, I don’t know, I don’t care, i will deal with it when. But i do wish sometimes that I will see my mom in the afterlife. I also will not buy property near a cometary.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:29 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I have been involved in the afterlife, and spiritual existence for 25 years now, and through the system referred to as evp (electronic voice phenomenon) I have been able to assess that God did NOT give free will to humans, but gave it to the spirits who inhabit the spirit world.

Some mentioned here that "when you are dead, you are dead", and this is true of the human body, and it's existence, but there within each and every body there is a soul, and when we die, the sould departs teh body and returns to the world of spirits.

If any of you doubt this, I suggest you Google "The Spirits' Book by Alan Kardec.
It is a free pdf download, or you can purchase it at a book store.
In all the publications I have read over the years, this one book is the most complete and informative source of information concerning the afterlife, and spirits.
It was written by the spirits themselves through what is known as automatic writing, along with a select group of mediums.
Well worth reading if you doubt there is life once you die.
I'll stick with the Bible.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:02 AM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
China has by far the lowest number,
Result of communist education. Taiwan is likely different, as was the China before 1949.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:11 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
China has by far the lowest number, followed by Japan and some western European countries.
The Middle East has the highest figures.

https://digg.com/data-viz/link/world...ife-dmX2styu7i

Moderator cut: copyright violation

To be honest I'd have guessed at a much higher percentage. So I'm surprised its only 68%.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:18 AM

843 posts, read 508,047 times
Quote:
Sometimes it is beneficial to believe in something without evidence, but not everyone can do that.
Why? I can see no benefit to believing something without evidence.

Old 09-06-2022, 11:51 AM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
I think that the rise in nihilistic behavior is a direct result of the rise of atheism.

Because if you truly believe that this is it, most will chase their base desires at the expense of others.

I believe in an afterlife, and I think our society would be better served if more people believed this way also.
Couldn't resist insulting atheism could you. What you think is totally untrue.

Quote:
Nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated. It is often associated with extreme pessimism and a radical skepticism that condemns existence. A true nihilist would believe in nothing, have no loyalties, and no purpose other than, perhaps, an impulse to destroy.

Old 09-06-2022, 01:46 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:

And yet Canada and the UK have less and Morocco and Kenya have more that belief in the afterlife. And the Nordic countries have greater percentage of atheists. Many countries with higher atheist percentage have greater social safery nets and more emphasis on family, recreatiin and education and less about money then the USA. Are those signs of nihilism?

Old 09-06-2022, 02:52 PM

843 posts, read 508,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
And yet Canada and the UK have less and Morocco and Kenya have more that belief in the afterlife. And the Nordic countries have greater percentage of atheists. Many countries with higher atheist percentage have greater social safery nets and more emphasis on family, recreatiin and education and less about money then the USA. Are those signs of nihilism?
Stop with the facts!!!

Old 09-06-2022, 04:12 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
I could care less what 0% of Americans want or believe in, and 100% of what I see as valid or real.

Media statistics and numbers about others are fodder for bozos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality