Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 07:27 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
Sometimes it is beneficial to believe in something without evidence, but not everyone can do that.
I see nothing that is beneficial about believing fairy tales as fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I'll stick with the Bible.
Meh, the bible is the claim, not the proof. Nice collection of tall tales though. And, man that last book, Revelation! I think whoever wrote it had discovered acid, and took it during the whole time he was describing his hallucinations. Far out man!

Old 09-07-2022, 09:01 AM

842 posts, read 551,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
Why? I can see no benefit to believing something without evidence.
Human experiences are very limited. We all make baseless assumptions in our life from time to time, which is crucial for survival.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:18 PM

836 posts, read 505,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
Human experiences are very limited. We all make baseless assumptions in our life from time to time, which is crucial for survival.
Baseless assumptions are crucial for survival?

Old 09-07-2022, 08:37 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
I assume what MPD was getting at was that we have various shortcuts we use all the time -- snap judgments, assumptions, rules of thumb, aphorisms, approximations -- and I think an attempt was being made to include religious ideation in that class of things.

The problem, as I see it, is that it's one thing to give short shrift to accuracy for inconsequential things (although even then, our snap judgments, etc., should be subject to review, given that science has clearly demonstrated our tendency to hang on to them even in the face of contrary evidence -- e.g., first impressions). But it's another thing to play fast and loose with highly consequential matters such as one's claimed eternal destiny and worldly happiness, one's ethics and morals -- things that, if you get them wrong, people could be hurt, or even die. You can guess about what to wear to work or eat for dinner or what tomorrow's weather is likely to be, to a great extent -- but maybe one should be a little more careful about, say, whether to pray away your cancer or see a physician concerning it.

In fairness, sometimes religious guidance amounts to doing the right things for the wrong reasons, and is arguably harmless as such. And I'm happy to leave people to it if that's their desire, so long as they're happy to leave me to do my thing as well.

Still, I think that every human's job in life is to develop an increasingly accurate "theory of everything" and live their life in accordance with it, so that they are as consistent and rational as possible in dealing with situations that present themselves. If you are operating on approximations, then you're going to experience leaky abstractions, and you're going to make dumb mistakes. Or at least that was my experience.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:36 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Why? I can see no benefit to believing something without evidence.
That is called HOPE and hope is the foundation of life. there is not a single person alive, rich or poor, who does not hope.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:40 AM

5,902 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Meh, the bible is the claim, not the proof. Nice collection of tall tales though. And, man that last book, Revelation! I think whoever wrote it had discovered acid, and took it during the whole time he was describing his hallucinations. Far out man!
LOL I said practically the same thing about Revelation. Except I think it was magic mushrooms.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:42 AM

Quote:
The other word for it that is more familiar is HOPE. Yes, it is crucial for survival. Even birds hope. When my bird feeder is empty they still come out to check it out with hope. They build nests in precarious places and hope their eggs will survive, even when they dont.
You can come up with more examples by yourself.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I see nothing that is beneficial about believing fairy tales as fact.
True for you. Not for others for whom they are not fairy tales because they see meaning in it. People have different capacities. Some call it blessed.

Old 09-08-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
True for you. Not for others for whom they are not fairy tales because they see meaning in it. People have different capacities. Some call it blessed.
Yes some of the bible stories have morals and teachings to them, just as most other fairy tales do. Those teachings do not make the stories real, just instructional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality