Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 10:03 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,938,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
In my old sect they are gaining market share in third world countries and losing in first world countries.
Yes, true if you mean christianity. again it is population growth which is higher in the developing nations. there is also resistance to conversion in the developing nations, and growth in their own culture and religions.

Christianity or other religion is not declining. I don't know how Pew accounts for those who stop attending church but now attend satsangh and meditate, who incorporate chanting of Mahamantra in their daily routine. Religion is not in structure and organization, it is in the belief and spiritual practices one adopts that sustain them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 10:34 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,625,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Yes, true if you mean christianity. again it is population growth which is higher in the developing nations. there is also resistance to conversion in the developing nations, and growth in their own culture and religions.

Christianity or other religion is not declining. I don't know how Pew accounts for those who stop attending church but now attend satsangh and meditate, who incorporate chanting of Mahamantra in their daily routine. Religion is not in structure and organization, it is in the belief and spiritual practices one adopts that sustain them.
Also...the internet and television.
Joel Osteen and the like.
That is the new "church attendance".

Old 09-15-2022, 11:03 AM

50,439 posts, read 24,032,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post

If it's not declining, why did a christian magazine print the article?

Old 09-15-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If it's not declining, why did a christian magazine print the article?
There are outlier areas that have some shift. Like the article mentioned.
Overall in this world...it's growing.

This has been hashed out before.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/62898883-post7.html

Old 09-15-2022, 11:12 AM

15,803 posts, read 6,259,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
There are outlier areas that have some shift. Like the article mentioned.
Overall in this world...it's growing.

This has been hashed out before.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/62898883-post7.html
But if the growth is in third world countries it makes sense that as these countries progress their population will become less religious as well.

Old 09-15-2022, 11:19 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,938,411 times
Quote:
But if the growth is in third world countries it makes sense that as these countries progress their population will become less religious as well.
Not necessarily. India has progressed although not in the scale of US and other developed nations. But there is now a significant middle class and also oligarchs. Wide disparity in wealth. 98% practice religion per PEW.
US has a higher level of religiosity, same as Bangladesh, compared to other western nations - PEW research. Also wider wealth disparity.
Basically religion and prosperity - if that is what you mean by progress -do not correlate.
If so that should also follow there are no atheists among the poor?

Old 09-15-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
If the Chinese Govt stops impeding Religion...that will be a game changer.
China is where the most Atheists are...and they convert fast when the CCP eases up.

Old 09-15-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
If the Chinese Govt stops impeding Religion...that will be a game changer.
China is where the most Atheists are...and they convert fast when the CCP eases up.
If that's the case than believers are bizarre. The government could tell me I had to believe in God but I would be unable to do so. Can the government tell you what to believe? No one would be converting to atheism they would probably just have been a believer that knew they couldn't speak about it. Odd thought process you have there and I think you are selling believers short.

Huh, it just occurred to me that your statement supports that no belief in God is the default position.

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 09-15-2022 at 12:36 PM..

Old 09-15-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
If that's the case than believers are bizarre. The government could tell me I had to believe in God but I would be unable to do so. Can the government tell you what to believe? No one would be converting to atheism they would probably just have been a believer that knew they couldn't speak about it. Odd thought process you have there and I think you are selling believers short.

Huh, it just occurred to me that your statement supports that no belief is God is the default position.
At first I assumed that people really didn't understand...now I think they feign such, when they don't like the message/info.
The CCP is officially Atheist.
They dissuade Religious Beliefs other than Atheism.
The numbers that are seen in Religion demographic listings reflect this...and list China as mostly Atheist.
When they allow it...people "come out" as a Religion other than Atheism...or convert.
For a time they weren't being so difficult about it...but have clamped down as of late.
With over 18% of the world population...if China was reported as even 1/3 Mainstream Religious, that would really effect the numbers.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...-china-2018-11

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/poli...ners-spreading

https://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/154...-proclamation-

Old 09-15-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
At first I assumed that people really didn't understand...now I think they feign such, when they don't like the message/info.
The CCP is officially Atheist.
They dissuade Religious Beliefs other than Atheism.
The numbers that are seen in Religion demographic listings reflect this...and list China as mostly Atheist.
When they allow it...people "come out" as a Religion other than Atheism...or convert.
For a time they weren't being so difficult about it...but have clamped down as of late.
With over 18% of the world population...if China was reported as even 1/3 Mainstream Religious, that would really effect the numbers.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...-china-2018-11

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/poli...ners-spreading

https://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/154...-proclamation-
If you're trying to say that believers are underreported because of the Chinese government then it also fair to say that non belief is as well because of the non believers environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality