Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2022, 09:33 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Except many religionists based the hurt they do on religious principles. Ever hear of India/Pakistan? Ever hear of Southern Thailand? Ever hear of 9/11? And on and on.
Each person owns his own actions. I have no idea what point you are making with your other statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 09:41 AM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I would rather not discuss any poster in particular and rather talk about issues that affect all of us in general. So i would like to clarify that my thoughts are not related to L8 in any way.
Yes, it is hard not to judge, and we all try to be mindful. Karmic Order is not the same as “Jesus said so”, an edict, because Jesus himself was subject to Karmic Order. We dont know why Jesus had to die the way he did, and that not-knowingness is what Karma is about. It is an unseen force.
Mental traumas that we suffer due to actions of others are hard, particularly on children. Nobody can deny that. How we deal with it, and deal we must, depends on what method we choose. Nobody can fix the past, all we can do is deal with the present, here and now.
Religious principles are only guideposts. Nobody should think one should relinquish their own moral responsibility to the first principles - Do no harm. Be kind. God is Love.
You mean like 'The Ten COMMANDMENTS'?
You mean like 'The Five Precepts' which a certain poster has argued are commandments?

Old 09-25-2022, 09:42 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
It seems to me from everything you stated above about your experience with other religions, as well as my experiences with various religions, that it comes down to individuals, with their freedom of thought and actions, as to how religious principles are enacted, be it by priests or everyone else. If people choose to act in ways that are hurtful, it is not the religious principles that guide them, but it is out of their own volition. Their actions are due to their own inherited tendencies and mental and emotional dysfunctions.
That is what karma is, the residual effects of accumulated karma.
Technically, you might say that. L8's mother, for example, made a personal choice to shun her daughter for the past almost 30 years rather than to flip the JW religion the bird and choose her child.

However, the topic here is religious principles, and so I was pointing out that a principle in the JW religion is that you must cut off family members who leave the faith. It's more than just not speaking to them--in their view, non-JWs, including you and me and everyone else who is not them, will cease to exist while they will all go on to Heaven. So not just is the mother choosing to not speak to her daughter in this life, she is fine with believing that her daughter's soul will cease to exist.

You really can't ignore the religious principle in this situation. I just looked it up. About 70,000, or 1%, of JW's are disfellowshipped each year for not believing, or for accepting a blood transfusion, etc.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Technically, you might say that. L8's mother, for example, made a personal choice to shun her daughter for the past almost 30 years rather than to flip the JW religion the bird and choose her child.

However, the topic here is religious principles, and so I was pointing out that a principle in the JW religion is that you must cut off family members who leave the faith. It's more than just not speaking to them--in their view, non-JWs, including you and me and everyone else who is not them, will cease to exist while they will all go on to Heaven. So not just is the mother choosing to not speak to her daughter in this life, she is fine with believing that her daughter's soul will cease to exist.

You really can't ignore the religious principle in this situation. I just looked it up. About 70,000, or 1%, of JW's are disfellowshipped each year for not believing, or for accepting a blood transfusion, etc.
I want to be clear that I am not supporting the JW and this shunning business. But I do place the responsibility of actions of cruelty on those who act. That JW think i will cease to exist while they all go to heaven makes me laugh, not keep me up at night. I have to assume that the religion offers some 8.6 million followers something they value. I just don’t get what is to be achieved by pointing to the 1% who is being dissed because they refuse to follow the principles.
A prestigious country club “ dismembered” a family member out because some club member complained he had the “wrong” profession. Do we want to do something about that?
Many people leave their religion for some reason or other, and they try out another denomination, dont like that, try another sect. We have the freedom to do that.
Anyway I thought this thread was to discuss religious principles, not judge them.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:19 AM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Is disfellowship the same thing as shunning?

Old 09-25-2022, 10:23 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Is disfellowship the same thing as shunning?
In simple terms yes. If there is a nuanced difference, I don't know what it is.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
In simple terms yes. If there is a nuanced difference, I don't know what it is.
Various Shunning Strategies besides the JW’s
CD has one as well known as infraction or banning.

Old 09-25-2022, 11:22 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Various Shunning Strategies besides the JW’s
CD has one as well known as infraction or banning.
Could you please explain what shunning is done on CD?

Infractions and banning are not shunning. Anymore than being jailed is banning.

You will do anything to defend any and all religious practices or principles. Including deflecting going off topic, hijackung threads, blamming it on people however you are very quick to jump on atheism for anything a single atheist ha posted.

Therevis no religion on an unihabited island. The good and the bad done by religion is done by people but you only recognize that the bad is done by people but credit the good done by people to religions.

Shunning isv religious practice done by people because of whatvtheir own religion tells them to do. You even refuse to consider the fact that posters have experienced being shunned by all of a sudden refusing to addressing the experience of a poster.

Why are you so blind to the fact that some religious principles and practices are actually harmful to people? You are fast to recognize any that are beneficial that as an atheist I can see the beneficial as well as the harmful ones. Your blindless loses you are credibility especially when you do the exact opposite about atheism and atheists.

What exactly have you done to help the LBGT children thrown out of religious families because of what they are? Or is that something that only atheists are charged to do? Is being LBGT a choice when it comes to being booted from the family?

IMHO you love religions much more than you care about people.

Old 09-25-2022, 11:34 AM

19,995 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Except many religionists based the hurt they do on religious principles.
Yes the reasons for these forms of emotional abuse and neglect can be more complicated than simply a religious rule, but the religious rule, or even its existence, can certainly promote and excuse and give cover for such behavior.

Ultimately in theory it is the decision of each individual whether they do the right thing or not and no one is claiming these sorts of behaviors are exclusive with or even invented by religion. But religion is perfectly capable of defining a wrong thing as a right thing and that then forces fealty to the dogma over human decency, familial bonds, or even simple common sense.

Many times religion gives you a choice, but it is a choiceless choice. Love god or burn in hell. Disown your child or be complicit in their "sin" and maybe disowned / shunned yourself. Install a "shame-ware" app so we can surveil your online activities, or we'll assume you're hiding some secret sin from us. That kind of thing.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:19 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
MQ, thanks, did not know all this about the Jehovah Witness'...or L8. Gee whiz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality