Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2022, 12:20 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Is disfellowship the same thing as shunning?
I think so, but I am not an expert.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:24 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Could you please explain what shunning is done on CD?

Infractions and banning are not shunning. Anymore than being jailed is banning.

You will do anything to defend any and all religious practices or principles. Including deflecting going off topic, hijackung threads, blamming it on people however you are very quick to jump on atheism for anything a single atheist ha posted.

Therevis no religion on an unihabited island. The good and the bad done by religion is done by people but you only recognize that the bad is done by people but credit the good done by people to religions.

Shunning isv religious practice done by people because of whatvtheir own religion tells them to do. You even refuse to consider the fact that posters have experienced being shunned by all of a sudden refusing to addressing the experience of a poster.

Why are you so blind to the fact that some religious principles and practices are actually harmful to people? You are fast to recognize any that are beneficial that as an atheist I can see the beneficial as well as the harmful ones. Your blindless loses you are credibility especially when you do the exact opposite about atheism and atheists.

What exactly have you done to help the LBGT children thrown out of religious families because of what they are? Or is that something that only atheists are charged to do? Is being LBGT a choice when it comes to being booted from the family?

IMHO you love religions much more than you care about people.
Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 12:24 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
You mean like 'The Ten COMMANDMENTS'?
You mean like 'The Five Precepts' which a certain poster has argued are commandments?
Are you asking me if I think the 10 Commandments are guideposts? Yes I do. Do you see anything among them that will make you relinquish your own moral responsibility to do no harm? Be kind? God is Love? Which one?
Dont know what the 5 precepts are.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes the reasons for these forms of emotional abuse and neglect can be more complicated than simply a religious rule, but the religious rule, or even its existence, can certainly promote and excuse and give cover for such behavior.

Ultimately in theory it is the decision of each individual whether they do the right thing or not and no one is claiming these sorts of behaviors are exclusive with or even invented by religion. But religion is perfectly capable of defining a wrong thing as a right thing and that then forces fealty to the dogma over human decency, familial bonds, or even simple common sense.

Many times religion gives you a choice, but it is a choiceless choice. Love god or burn in hell. Disown your child or be complicit in their "sin" and maybe disowned / shunned yourself. Install a "shame-ware" app so we can surveil your online activities, or we'll assume you're hiding some secret sin from us. That kind of thing.
What I find interesting is that there are posters/many people who will admit that their religion is the strongest force in their life, but then will deny that their religion has anything to do with some of their negative behavior.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think so, but I am not an expert.
I don't know this, but here is the differentiation question in my mind:

To kick someone out of a church/religion...I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If they're not participating appropriately, well, there are consequences.

The question I have is that after one is "disfellowshipped"...is it to the point where other members totally ignore them outside of the church setting?

Old 09-25-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I don't know this, but here is the differentiation question in my mind:

To kick someone out of a church/religion...I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If they're not participating appropriately, well, there are consequences.

The question I have is that after one is "disfellowshipped"...is it to the point where other members totally ignore them outside of the church setting?
That is my understanding. Like most here, I've mostly learned about it via the poster L8Gr8Apost8, who has shared her experience. It's not like when the Reformed Church sent me a letter telling me I was no longer a member because I wasn't active. My parents were not told to stop speaking to me; on the contrary, that church's principle would be to remain in contact in the hope that I would return to the fold.

Quote:
What is shunning and why is it used? Shunning — known as disfellowship among Jehovah's Witness — is a punishment implemented by a panel of elders and calls on all other members of the congregation to reject the person both socially and emotionally, even if they are a family member.
Quote:
Wall told the panel his behaviour stemmed from stress related to the expulsion of his 15-year-old daughter who he and his wife were required by the church to shun. The congregation had already kicked the teen out of the community and as a result, even though she was a dependent child living with her parents, the family was pressured to evict the girl from the home, leading to "much distress."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...amily%20member.

Article mentions other traditions that use this practice.

Old 09-25-2022, 02:04 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
That is my understanding. Like most here, I've mostly learned about it via the poster L8Gr8Apost8, who has shared her experience. It's not like when the Reformed Church sent me a letter telling me I was no longer a member because I wasn't active. My parents were not told to stop speaking to me; on the contrary, that church's principle would be to remain in contact in the hope that I would return to the fold.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...amily%20member.

Article mentions other traditions that use this practice.
Not sure the Hutterites do shunning as much as when I was growing up. We had three Hutterites living next door , two sisters from one colony and a boyfriend from another. Their parents visited quite regularly, especially after the baby was born. The house was then to small so they moved out. Do not know if the couple ever married or any returned to a colony.

When I was growing up the widest kids were the ex Hutterites. Visited one colony and the pastor or whatever he was called gave us a talk about their culture and the colonies. The man could have made a living as a stand up comic as well. Funny comments and perfect delivery of his lines. Delightful character.

Old 09-25-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Not sure the Hutterites do shunning as much as when I was growing up. We had three Hutterites living next door , two sisters from one colony and a boyfriend from another. Their parents visited quite regularly, especially after the baby was born. The house was then to small so they moved out. Do not know if the couple ever married or any returned to a colony.

When I was growing up the widest kids were the ex Hutterites. Visited one colony and the pastor or whatever he was called gave us a talk about their culture and the colonies. The man could have made a living as a stand up comic as well. Funny comments and perfect delivery of his lines. Delightful character.
I never even heard of them until this past year.

Old 09-25-2022, 02:33 PM

19,957 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
While evangelicals do not usually do this kind of thing, booting a 15 year old for basically being a 15 year old reminds me of James Dobson and books like Dare to Discipline and The Strong-Willed Child, wherein he advocates escalating corporal punishment and other forms of "tough love", as well as "breaking the will of the child". The basic problem with this kind of thing IMO isn't so much the debate over how hard to come down on them as the emphasis on control and negative consequences and an assumption of stubbornness as sole motivation for misbehavior. There's very little mention of incentive or rewards, lots of talk about punishment as a panacea for everything, no understanding of things like neurodiversity. Everything is command vs punishment and training kids effectively do do the right thing for the wrong reason: fear of parental and/or divine displeasure. Things are right or wrong because the earthly or heavenly father says it is, which teaches kids to uncritically cater to the whims of authority rather than understanding the reasons why one behaves or not in certain ways.

I mean, "because I said so" is fine as a placeholder when you are preventing a child from falling off a cliff or running into traffic or something, but it is not a basic strategy or theory of child nurture.

Old 09-25-2022, 03:38 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:

I think it depends which "leut" they are. Lehrerleut, Dariusleut or Schmiedeleut. I know I should be able to tell them apart by their dress, but I forget which goes with which Leut. I do recall branding down on a ranch in southern Alberta, which had Hutterite neighbors who helped, and there was no question their sense of humor can be quite, to put it politely, ribald at times. And they love their beer when they can get it. I also know one of the other Leut is still very conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality