Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 12:08 PM

87,957 posts, read 83,773,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
And the Religious Principle that is the highest standard for human conduct and interaction, summed up in 3 words:
Love Each Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Mightyqueen801 The Old Secretary steps in.

Love one another.

"Each other" refers to two people. "One another" refers to more than two people.

I have principles when it comes to written English, yea though I acknowledge that language changes daily.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:24 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,603,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Mightyqueen801 The Old Secretary steps in.

Love one another.

"Each other" refers to two people. "One another" refers to more than two people.

I have principles when it comes to written English, yea though I acknowledge that language changes daily.
Hmmmmm. I've gotta think about that a second.
Okay.
My interpretation: "Each Other"= "Each" (Everyone, individually)...."Other" (Those besides yourself).
In a sentence, employing that context:
"All the soldiers in the Battalion worked effectively with each other to accomplish the mission".

"Each" of you...would refer to more than one other at a time.
"One" another...specifically designates "One" at a time, even if it would suggest continuing ("another").

It's actually kinda the same thing...because you cover the lot, either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 02:47 PM

87,957 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Hmmmmm. I've gotta think about that a second.
Okay.
My interpretation: "Each Other"= "Each" (Everyone, individually)...."Other" (Those besides yourself).
In a sentence, employing that context:
"All the soldiers in the Battalion worked effectively with each other to accomplish the mission".

"Each" of you...would refer to more than one other at a time.
"One" another...specifically designates "One" at a time, even if it would suggest continuing ("another").

It's actually kinda the same thing...because you cover the lot, either way.
As I said, language changes, and what was once considered "proper" may not matter anymore. I learned that forty years ago.

Hell, people are saying "begs the question" to mean "raises the question" all over the place these days when that was never what it meant. But it does now because they didn't know any better and through usage, it came to mean raises the question.

Go ahead and use it however you want. Just know that God's secretary is putting a little red check mark next to your name.

Old 09-19-2022, 03:19 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,603,862 times
Quote:
As I said, language changes, and what was once considered "proper" may not matter anymore. I learned that forty years ago.

Hell, people are saying "begs the question" to mean "raises the question" all over the place these days when that was never what it meant. But it does now because they didn't know any better and through usage, it came to mean raises the question.

Go ahead and use it however you want. Just know that God's secretary is putting a little red check mark next to your name.
I just heard a advertisement for a charity.
They said that we must "look out for one another".
I defer to your obvious expertise.

"A man's got to know his limitations."
Harry Callahan

Old 09-19-2022, 09:53 PM

15,795 posts, read 6,858,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Meaning that karma is not a cosmic justice system, but is rather cause and effect. No woo-woo. Just cause and effect.

Hang around with drug addicts and a negative result is likely.
Hang around with gang members and a negative result is likely.

Hang around with good intentioned and noble people and a positive result is likely.

Cause and effect.
Karma is not cause and effect. It is action and result. a big difference in meaning.
The result, the fruit of action, may or may not be seen. But fructify it must. And it takes its own time.
karma is not cause, it is action. that is the meaning in sanskrit. this is why it is important to know the language, because of what is lost in translation.
so when we experience the fructified result of our action we might not remember the action that bore the bitter fruit. but there it is. cosmic law.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:21 PM

21,862 posts, read 19,015,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Karma is not cause and effect. It is action and result. a big difference in meaning.
The result, the fruit of action, may or may not be seen. But fructify it must. And it takes its own time.
karma is not cause, it is action. that is the meaning in sanskrit. this is why it is important to know the language, because of what is lost in translation.
so when we experience the fructified result of our action we might not remember the action that bore the bitter fruit. but there it is. cosmic law.
bold above is an excellent distinction to make.
great post and insights, succinct and spot on

Old 09-19-2022, 10:21 PM

50,125 posts, read 23,785,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
That is your opinion.

MANY disagree with you.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:30 PM

19,717 posts, read 13,262,632 times
Quote:
This kind of thing drives me to distraction, also. The definition of "agnostic" is another example of this. Huxley must be spinning in his grave with all these people that think it is simple indecision or quasi-judicious floating above all controversies with an "open mind", but that is such a common notion by now that the word is basically useless for what it was originally coined. "Theory" and "faith" are ones that haven't even evolved but where two very different meanings are often conflated through some combination of ignorance or deliberate obtuseness.

So it goes ...

Old 09-19-2022, 11:01 PM

63,367 posts, read 39,639,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
bold above is an excellent distinction to make.
great post and insights, succinct and spot on
I suspect that Phet's preference for cause and effect reveals his desire to remove his responsibility for the results based on his actions and intent. Thus, ignoring this important distinction and insight CB exposed.

Old 09-19-2022, 11:44 PM

50,125 posts, read 23,785,288 times
"Tricycle" is a highly respected Buddhist site, and this is its excellent article on karma as cause and effect.

https://tricycle.org/magazine/cause-and-effect/

For those who want to believe that karma is some cosmic justice system...go ahead. You're free to do so. But before you assume that this idea of cause and effect is just something that Victor dreamed up, I suggest you do a Google search: Karma cause and effect. I am not alone by a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality