Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2024, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Southern California
3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Reputation: 5936

Advertisements

"Whenever dharma declines and adharma predominates, I incarnate as an avatar. In visible form I appear from age to age to protect the virtuous and to destroy evildoing in order to reestablish righteousness." - Bhagavad Gita


(Adharma is the Sanskrit antonym of dharma. It means "that which is not in accord with the dharma". Connotations include betrayal, discord, disharmony, unnaturalness, wrongness, evil, immorality, unrighteousness, wickedness, and vice)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2024, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Southern California
3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Reputation: 5936
"Each thought of depression or happiness, irritability or calmness, cuts subtle grooves in the brain cells and strengthens the tendencies toward sickness or well-being." - Paramahansa Yogananda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2024, 04:51 PM
 
15,945 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
"Whenever dharma declines and adharma predominates, I incarnate as an avatar. In visible form I appear from age to age to protect the virtuous and to destroy evildoing in order to reestablish righteousness." - Bhagavad Gita


(Adharma is the Sanskrit antonym of dharma. It means "that which is not in accord with the dharma". Connotations include betrayal, discord, disharmony, unnaturalness, wrongness, evil, immorality, unrighteousness, wickedness, and vice)
There is no clear definition of Dharma. The closest is the order of the world. The order of the world is what it is. Other way of saying it it is not under our control, it is what it is. Krishna said he will re-establish dharma, and that may involve destroying the world as we know it and create a new one, as he has done from age to age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2024, 07:02 PM
 
63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Reputation: 7868
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
There is no clear definition of Dharma. The closest is the order of the world. The order of the world is what it is. Other way of saying it it is not under our control, it is what it is. Krishna said he will re-establish dharma, and that may involve destroying the world as we know it and create a new one, as he has done from age to age.
Good to see your post in the forum, CB. I wondered if you had deserted us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2024, 07:14 PM
 
15,945 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Good to see your post in the forum, CB. I wondered if you had deserted us.
Not yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2024, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Southern California
3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Reputation: 5936
Dharma means right behavior in this context. Something like the Ten Commandments or truth in Buddhism or social order. "I" in my quote is not Krishna speaking, but God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2024, 08:24 PM
 
15,945 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
Dharma means right behavior in this context. Something like the Ten Commandments or truth in Buddhism or social order. "I" in my quote is not Krishna speaking, but God.
The quote from the Gita is Krishna speaking to Arjuna. Krishna could be God, who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2024, 03:22 AM
 
Location: Southern California
3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Reputation: 5936
You can tell us, the masses, your interpretation of the quote here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...cussion-2.html

It would be nice if this thread remains only with quotes from Hindu teachers. Without personal interpretations/comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2024, 07:10 AM
 
15,945 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post

It would be nice if this thread remains only with quotes from Hindu teachers. Without personal interpretations/comments.
You are right. We will leave it with the quotes and let the words inspire each through their own understanding. Thank you for reminding me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2024, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Southern California
3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Reputation: 5936
"Though God has everything, we can still say that He has some desire: He wants to see who will remain unintimidated by this picture, and who will play his part well and come back to Him. You can't run away from this universe, but if you act in this play with your thought fixed on God, you will be free." Paramahansa Yogananda (in 1946, in San Diego)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top